CrazyBoards.org

DSM5 - Bipolar no longer a mood disorder.

http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/bipolar-bites/bipolar-disorder-no-longer-mood-disorder

I think this article is right, I like it better as its own type of category rather than "mood" disorder - I never thought of it this way before, but after reading this, it makes sense. What are your thoughts?

Very persuasive article, and it makes a lot of sense! I agree that we should really give due attention to the non-mood symptoms of bipolar and depression. They really are what make the illnesses so devastating. I also agree with Notfred that categorizing them differently makes sense, given bipolar and depression have only one cluster of symptoms in common. 

I wonder if we will ever graduate to calling mental illnesses 'brain disorders.' I think this would give mental illnesses more validity in people's eyes. Something that always confused me was that diseases like Alzheimer's disease and other dementias are often called 'organic brain disorders.' But aren't mental illnesses organic brain disorders too? 

Thanks for posting this, 2Spirals!

I wonder if we will ever graduate to calling mental illnesses 'brain disorders.' I think this would give mental illnesses more validity in people's eyes. Something that always confused me was that diseases like Alzheimer's disease and other dementias are often called 'organic brain disorders.' But aren't mental illnesses organic brain disorders too? 

I think some of the MIs fit better into the disease model than others. Some MIs respond best to meds while others to talk therapy. I also believe that all people, particularly anyone with a chronic illness of any sort, could benefit from some therapy.

In making the comparison between MI and brain diseases, I wouldn't focus so much on dementias and Alzheimer's since they are fairly rapid deterioration in older age. Broader comparators that I'd use are more like epilepsy, Parkinson's and other brain diseases that affect people in younger years since they often share mental components, depression being a common one. There isn't as big a difference between the illnesses classed as brain disease compared to some of the MIs as appears on the surface, IMHO.