CrazyBoards.org

How much do meds cost?

So let me start with I have very good insurance. Very good.

So i was ordering a refill this week. I order through express scripts which fill a 90 day supply at a time. My copay is a whopping $10.00.

I can see all the prescriptions they have filled this year. Holy hell!!! I have paid $173.00 out of pocket since January. The insurance has paid almost $4000.00. WTF? Latuda costs $2700.00 for three months supply!! Even my generic trileptal and lamectil are redicuously? Expensive.

How is anyone who doesn't have insurance supposed to make it? I mean i know you just go without...i spent 15years undermedicated on just prozac because thats what I could afford.

So my question is...how much are you guys paying for your meds...and how do you do it?

My insurance only pays 80%, which is fine, but not for psych meds. I spend about $400/mo for meds. Plus my pdoc isnt on my plan, that is another $130/mo.(The only pdoc on the plan is just incompetent in MHO).

It was ok when I was working, but now I have COBRA which is another $668/mo. I really dont know what to do. I make too much on disability to qualify for care with the county or reduced med plans.

I have started cutting back on meds just to make them last longer, which I know is a disaster in the making.

Every January my plan rolls over and I have to make my deductible for the year again before they start picking up the tab. My deductible is $2500. I meet it in less than 3 months. After that, I end up paying about $200 in co-pays for my meds until about September, and then suddenly they all start being totally covered, or maybe with a $5-10 copay.

I am lucky too.  I pay either $1 or $3.65 for co-pays, up to a certain cap, then I get them for free.  Some I always have the $3.65 copay, but they aren't many.  The cap isn't very high either, so that is how I can afford my medications.  Idk how in the world I would do it withought insurance.  I get the insurance forms that say how much they pay, and it costs over $2000 a month for all my meds.

I used to have really good insurance...paid 10% of what the medication cost, sometimes less. Now we have the "same" insurance, but they have changed things horribly so we basically don't have health insurance/rx insurance until we pay a high deductible, which is another thing we can't afford.

I use rxoutreach.org for my meds at the moment. I can pay for the lamictal (generic) out of pocket "through insurance" because it's like $8.87/month, but otherwise, I go through that program. It doesn't leave much wiggle room to change/add meds though. I've had to look up the cost of potential meds and see if they are affordable through our "insurance." Abilify ended it's savings program, that was a HUGE help, but I had to go off of it anyways.

It's tricky, but there are options!

Between DH and myself, we currently have 15 prescriptions. DH is going to start using the 90 day mail-order, but I tweak my meds too often for that. We have a 5k deductible, which my hospital stay in January took care of. Our co pays are between $10-75. The $75 was Abilify, which I fortunately stopped after two months.

DH's COBRA runs out 5 months before he is eligible for Medicare, and THOSE bills really scare me. Although they are mostly generic, so maybe I am getting worked up for no reason.

Much to my surprise, I am eligible for Medicare in 6 months. I have no idea how premiums/co pays work, but I have a friend who works in a hospital as an assistant for people on different kinds of aid, so I am going to pump her.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not here to show off, but as I live in the UK I pay £0 that Is I pay nothing, as I'm often to ill to work, when you are unemployed here you pay for no prescriptions, medical or mental illness. the system is paid for through taxation. If I had a job I would be paying £7.85 $11.83 per month, per item, so it would be this much for a months quatiapine , anti-depressant etc people here actually complain this is too much, but it is good as it covers all medications and the visit to the Doctor is Free. I also pay nothing to go to the dentist.

I really feel sorry for you guys, thousands of dollars a year would not be affordable to me, I thought insurance covered medications.

I think for the most part we get given generics and some drugs are not

available, there is usually an alternative. It isn't all great though, our hospitals are not as advanced as Private Us ones and the waiting lists

are very long.

Edited by isthisit?

My co-pay is $6 for most medications, so far the only exception I've found is my risperdal which is $9.

Here if you didn't have insurance (most people do though) there's a program called AISH which covers your medication (and offers various other services) that people can apply for. If you make too much to apply for AISH you make enough to buy insurance, simple as that. 

The worst time for me was when I hac COBRA and medicare. It took them awhile to figure me out. Then I had a baby.

I was paying approx $1500 a month for COBRA (this was for the both of us), medicare is deducted from the ssdi check, and seroquel (the original version) was costing me anywhere between $200-300 a month depending on my dosage.

Thank God I had divorce settlement. Yes, that money should be saved but how can it when Im crazy, have to pay for insurance and meds as well.

I checked around and at the time 1000mgs of seroquel was approx $2000. So best to keep paying for COBRA and all that other shit so have have more medical services and not just a bottle of seroquel.

db

I pay $5.90 for a months worth of any that I take. So a total of $23.60 for me. My pdoc co-pay is about $60 for an hour.  I go about once a month. My health insurance is about $140/mo and covers the outpatient program I go to and any inpatient stays (no co-pay). So my psychiatric care costs $224.60/mo. I live in Australia.

Wow, I'm also in the UK, and reading this makes me realise that, for all the problems with NHS mental health care, I am lucky when it comes to medications because I don't have to pay anything. Even for people who do have to pay and have regular prescriptions they can get a yearly prescription card for a one-off payment that brings down the cost.

I'm in Australia and I pay $5.90 because I am unemployed at the moment. If I wasn't on welfare my Seroquel XR at 200mg would be around $180 and thats for 2 months worth. Medications seem so expensive overseas O_O

I'm in Australia and it costs me roughly $70 a month, however it would be around $350 if I wasn't covered at all. However the saphris script is PBS so even if I was employed the cost of the saphris wouldn't increase to full price from $5.90, it would be around $38 at most by memory.

Lithium $5.90 ($16.99)

Saphris $5.90 ($252.82)

Reboxetine $5.90 ($38.86)

Levothyroxine $5.90 ($23.58) (6 months worth)

Inderal $9.65 ($14.41) (3 months worth)

Dexamphetamine $5.90 ($27.35)

Zopiclone $34.90 (Not covered, 30 tablets)

Xanax $15.80 (Not covered, 50 tablets)

(All 30 day supplies unless noted)

Lamictal ODT  about $510

Buproprion about $64

Atenolol about $4

Klonopin about $60

QVAR inhaler, 15 days, about $165

Linzess about $220

Xopenex inhaler about $55

Flonase, 90 days, about $70

Xanax about $105

Abilify, 90 days, about $4185

Provigil about $1500

Naltrexone about $115

Not sure about prozac, methimazole, lansoprazole and iron pills.

I'm on the provincial government public plan which is really generous so for everything I take I pay around $400-700 a year (including non-psychiatric meds). For 2012 the total that came out of my pocket was a little under $500, and more than half of that was refunded by my school insurance plan. I don't even want to know how much I would be paying if I didn't have these benefits.

I live in Canada.

Edited by radicalfeminist

I'm in the UK and I don't pay anything. Noone in Scotland has to pay, regardless of income/if you're working etc. After hearing from a few friends elsewhere in the world, I'm so glad, as I have no idea how most of you guys cope, even those of you with insurance! I just feel a bit guilty that I don't have to think about it, nevermind check round for cheaper options or not take anything at all :(

At one point I was paying $320 for abilify and that was after decent insurance coverage that I was paying a premium for (don't remember the premium cost). Not to mention the cost of all my other meds. Plus co pays to see the pdoc and tdoc in the first place.

Now I have my husbands good insurance and things are much better. Still very expensive but not nearly as bad.

If you haven't guessed already im in the US. being MI ain't cheap!

I just used the NeedyMeds discount card (needymeds.org) for my lamictal (generic) since it price went up on my insurance (then back down to 2/3 less, but WHATEVER, I don't know how it works) and it knocked it down to $9.30 for 30 days worth of 200 mg tabs.

Haven't used it for any other med...