CrazyBoards.org

My Uncle Rolled His Car

There are two photos included in this post behind the spoiler tags that contain blood/traumatic images

I am posting this in PTSD because it brings back a lot of memories from a stressful time.

it was really scary. i got home from a date, and i was making broccoli and cheese sauce talking on the phone to my aunt when my uncle tried to call. then he tried to call her. but we kept talking. and he tried to call me again, so i answered. he just said, "Come get me. I wrecked the car. I need to go to the hospital."

so i went and i drove as fast as i could

it was 4 miles away from me

and 1/4 mile away from my aunt

i beat my aunt there

When I got there, he had crawled out of the car. which was upside down in the ditch.

He was waving his arms and panicking. He was dripping with blood, so much blood. In the end, I guess he lost over a gallon of blood and the doctor told us he was literally bleeding to death before they got it under control. He had a very bad head injury and a couple scrapes and bruises, but nothing else. No broken bones. No internal injuries. He was really lucky. They air lifted him away for surgery to reattach his scalp. And we went to the hospital to wait for him to get out, and they put two drainage tubes in his head injury. It was intense but I guess he's going to be okay. Maybe get out on Monday. Woo.

I've never seen that much blood, you know. even after they took out his blood soaked clothes, the blanket i gave him right on the scene, and the blankets and towels they had around him and his head before they took him in for the scan, there was still blood all over the damn room

it was crazy

and i think it brought back like all this ptsd from my car accident two years ago

when we got to the hospital in the entry way, he was bleeding all over the carpet. and he started to get dizzy. i heard him say, "I think I am going to pass out." and out of the corner of my eye, i saw a wheelchair folded up against the wall and i just pulled it out, whipped it open, and drove it right up to him RIGHT as he started to fall down

so i grabbed his hips and helped lower him into the chair

close call lol

this was when the nurse was still running down the hall to let us in because it was after hours and they keep it locked with an intercom system

1010425_10152890660730487_2070714383_n.j

1017101_10152890659050487_711202145_n.jp

i think it awoke something in me from my own car accident

because i've just been very tired, stressed, and anxious

i just wish i could smoke a bowl and relax already

but for one, im out of weed, and for two, a lot of people here would argue that it's self medicating, a poor way of coping, etc

but i can't have a benzo and im freaking out here

idk if it's normal for PTSD to be affecting you two days after the trigger happened

but it totally is messing with my mind or something

however it works

and i just wanted to vent

Edited by tryp

That sounds like a horrible thing to have to witness and go through - I'm not surprised that you are reacting to it.  Response to triggers can be very individual - it can be right away, or later.

Is there anything else that you can do to try to make yourself feel better?  The lists of alternatives in the SI forum are sometimes good for self-soothing other kinds of distress too.

That's a really intense situation, Em.

When people are around a really intense situation that involves accident or injury, it's normal to feel dysregulated for a few days to weeks after.

It doesn't mean you will develop PTSD... it just means your mind is processing the intensity of the situation.

You should expect to feel pretty amped up, restless, etc. for a while.

It may or may not be related to your own car accident.

I would expect any one who had that kind of intensity to feel off kilter for a while.

That's a really intense situation, Em.

When people are around a really intense situation that involves accident or injury, it's normal to feel dysregulated for a few days to weeks after.

It doesn't mean you will develop PTSD... it just means your mind is processing the intensity of the situation.

You should expect to feel pretty amped up, restless, etc. for a while.

It may or may not be related to your own car accident.

I would expect any one who had that kind of intensity to feel off kilter for a while.

i HAVE ptsd so im kind of not worried about developing it

more or so less im worried with dealing with it not identifying it

i figure it's normal to be a little off, regardless of my old car accident

but it's started nightmares

the chunks are coming back out of the steering wheel

im self medicating because i have horrible coping skills

and i missed a night of work because i was so stressed out i just called in

i've been really anxious

having random flashbacks

etc

idk. i am just trying to keep moving forward and not let this shake me. but it sure has stopped me in my tracks.

That sounds like a horrible thing to have to witness and go through - I'm not surprised that you are reacting to it.  Response to triggers can be very individual - it can be right away, or later.

Is there anything else that you can do to try to make yourself feel better?  The lists of alternatives in the SI forum are sometimes good for self-soothing other kinds of distress too.

i can't think of anything positive or helpful to help me cope

im at a loss

i don't feel like drawing, writing, singing, dancing, exercising, etc

all the energy and creativity has been drained right out of me

im trying to find a way to cut the stress

my friend came over, and she smoked some weed with me

my anxiety finally calmed the fuck down and i was able to take a nap

it felt so good

that's honestly the best i've felt in a while

since this happened

ETA: I meant developing ptsd about the new accident... sorry for not being clear.

Even though you don't feel like it, keep trying to do anything that helps just a little bit, and try to not do things that make it worse.

Things that help you be more resilient over time instead of less.

Even though you probably won't feel like it.

Did I mention you probably won't feel like it?

It makes sense that you are having lots of stuff stirred up from your own experience.

Doing what helps you keep on track with food, sleep, hygiene, etc... all that will help chill the dragon out.

Edited by Wooster