CrazyBoards.org

What's the difference between borderline mood swings and bipolar ones?

Im starting to think i might not have any bipolar in me at all. Me and my therapist traced back the "start" of my borderline to when i was 20. Strangely enough, about the time my moods went from "occasional reactive depression" (usually because hearing voices all day, plus being bullied at school etc will do that to you) to actual mood swings.

I start with a new doctor next week and i kind of want to talk to him about this but im all mixed up on what to say.

I dont know. I was put on a really heavy cocktail at the beginning  but my psychosis was so bad i didnt pay much attention to my moods. Plus what we now know is psychotic agitation (confused thinking, cant sleep etc) i originally thought was mania. Now im weeding out what i do and dont need. A few months ago i dropped to 450mg lithium and 200mg Lamictal. My moods have been fine. My lithium level is 0.2 which im told is not even an effective level, and im fine. More even than ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Try writing down how and when you react to things. That might help you weed out if it's reactionary or if you're just having a random mood swing. As a typical borderline, my mood swings only happen in reaction to who I'm around. I'm manic like if I'm in big groups or just met a potential love interest but I'm depressive if I'm alone or rejected by someone. It is possible you can have MDD with BPD. Personally, I go up and down with people around me but I do have depressed days because of body image issues or I'm unable to get over someone else having rejected me. Just start a mood diary of sorts. It could be helpful!

• 2 weeks later...