CrazyBoards.org

Therapy Question

My therapist is having me do a journal and say affirmation twice a day. She gave me this print out about Beck's Cognitive Distortions and I'm to use that as a sort of template for categorizing my thoughts and actions. Has anyone done therapy like this? She said the affirmations will help open up new pathways in my brain, basically reprogramming my instant negative thought process to a more positive one. I think the affirmations are a little hokey. I feel like a complete moron, looking myself in the mirror and telling myself how awesome I am. I told her that and she said to "fake it until I make it" so.

It's just all so Stuart Smiley (SNL back in the day) "Gosh darnit people like me."

Anyone had an real success with affirmations. My husband just said, "Do whatever she tells you to do for 3 months and see if it makes a difference". Sigh. I'll do it but man, I feel like a dumb ass.

I've never literally looked into a mirror and done it, but I have been told to practice positive "self talk."  It's true that it will change the way you think.  I say do it.  Look at the floor or the wall or at nothing at first.  Maybe look at a picture of yourself or whatever instead of the mirror. 

I'm practicing positive self affirmations now.  It helps counteract all the negative talk going on in my head and also, in theory, changes my feelings and behavior.  I find this to be true; when I read through my list of affirmations, I do feel better about myself and feel more positive about my ability to manage my illness.

As cheesy at it seems, I do practice saying affirmations.  I am also a big fan of motivating and inspiring quotes, and I use those a lot to refocus my thoughts and perspective in different situations.  Even if I don't believe in what I am repeating to myself, I like to think that over time the positive self-talk will become more automatic.

I've never said it in front of a mirror ( irrational fear of mirrors) but I do talk to myself out loud sometimes to correct negative thinking. It's probably not a good idea to start talking to yourself in public, but I think saying it out loud works better. So what, you feel weird, I'm sure a little weirdness is worth feeling better. That said it does get easier and feels less fake, if you hear it enough you start to believe it, which is also nice.