CrazyBoards.org

I have had trouble in the past telling my docs that my meds weren't working. I was depressed at the time and I felt like I was disappointing them if I said the meds weren't working, which is obviously a silly thing to think. But I was depressed, so my thoughts were pretty distorted.

I think you need to be honest with your doc about this. It's the only way you'll have a chance at finding the right meds for you.

It may take quite a while, but there are literally thousands of med combinations you can try. I'm sure you'll find some meds that work for you.  

Well, I am scared to tell my pdoc if my meds are not working. Why you ask? Because my old pdoc accused me of faking symptoms when I told her that my meds were not working. Thank goodness I have a new pdoc now. I have slowly opened up to her. 

Now, I am very honest to my pdoc, so far. 

I know it's difficult, but you have to try to be honest with your pdoc, or else you won't feel better. 

Edited by CynicalReality

Historically I have taken medication to ensure I did not sink further into depression not to make my life in any way better. By their nature most antidepressant take their sweet time in reducing depression. (The side effects of course arrive promptly.) I have probably waited too long before saying various medications were not in fact working for me.

The only medication that I can say truly made my life better was the dextroamphetamine I took for my ADD. Alas I had to wait until I was 36 before finally getting a diagnosis. (Thanks to my recent rise in blood pressure I am not likely to return to it or any other stimulant.)

I have had trouble in the past telling my docs that my meds weren't working. I was depressed at the time and I felt like I was disappointing them if I said the meds weren't working, which is obviously a silly thing to think. But I was depressed, so my thoughts were pretty distorted.

^this.

i don't normally behave or think that way, but yes occassionally (like right now) i can say that's me too.  i know it's a distorted thought but i can't shake it.  i'm tired of med changes and feeling a little hopeless that the next one will work.  it seems easier to lie than run the risk of  being let down by my pdoc, or being a disappointment for not being a "good enough" patient, or not believed that things are bad/worse.  this episode, it's gone beyond reluctance into some kind of paranoia that i can't tell anybody including my pdoc or something "bad" will happen (i dunno what).

it doesn't matter why though, what matters is finding a way to be honest.  we're wasting time and money (well, i'm Canadian, so i'm wasting someone else's money) if we don't tell the truth about what we need.  and not telling is a guarantee that things will be awful forever, whereas telling means there's at least a chance that the horror will get easier.