CrazyBoards.org

Unbearable anxiety and possible psychosis

I get palpitations on and off. It stopped for two months but now its back but I can link it to the current stress in my life. Before I thought it was the meds. For three days I found it incredibly hard to fall asleep. At night, trying to fall asleep, I would have unusual thoughts, but it's not like I completely believed them to be true. I hardly remember my thoughts but I knew there was something wrong. It seems to have passed but I'm left wondering if it was psychosis.

PS I have a DX of schizoaffective, bipolar. But they're debating that.

I can't tell you what it is, but it really doesn't seem pleasant. If it's bothered you, then Its probably good time to call a doctor and tell them.

Palpitation sensations are normally linked to anxiety, but have you gotten any physical causes checked out?

Worsened sleep patterns are normally bad news for those with MI, do you have any PRN meds for sleep? Probably also something to tell your doctor.

I've had an ECG or EEG or whatever you call those heart moniters that check your heart rate. I had a heart beat above 100 two months ago. They didn't seem to be too bothered by it. It subsided but now it's back and I find it difficult to breath. I have to take deep breaths every few minutes. Also had blood tests which came out normal.

Some propranolol will slow the heart beat to something more normal and should stop the palpitations. It is used as a adjunct to treat anxiety. The propranolol I take lowers my heart rate to 70-80 beats per min., down from 100+.

As Oranges said, we can't diagnose you here. Anyone who has little sleep for a few days can start to experience sleep deprivation psychosis. Combine that with being mentally ill, and you have a recipe for disaster. Do you have an PRN meds to help you sleep? That might be worth asking your doctor about. Definitely tell your doctor about the palpitations (which could be linked to anxiety), the trouble sleeping and the strange thoughts. Was it psychosis? Who knows, but all of this seems worthy of talking to a doctor about. 

Edited to add: Like Notfred said, propranolol will help with the palpitations and possibly the anxiety. I take propranolol to treat anxiety. It helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety, like fast heart rate, blushing, fast breathing and shaking. I take it before I need to speak in front of people or before demonstration exams. It really works well for me. 

Edited by Parapluie

so I know this is kind of a stupid question.. at my first counselor meeting we worked on relaxing.. I always breath, or else I'd be dead, but I never noticed that I don't breath deep. even when I try to take a deep breath I don't feel like it is satisfying. like the bottom half of my lungs don't fill up. as for the palpitations, mine are more noticeable around bedtime but again I feel/hear the thump of my heartbeat in my head on a regular basis. I have unusual thoughts as well, but I have to ask.. ISN'T THIS NORMAL FOR EVERYONE?  not just those with MI

so I know this is kind of a stupid question.. at my first counselor meeting we worked on relaxing.. I always breath, or else I'd be dead, but I never noticed that I don't breath deep. even when I try to take a deep breath I don't feel like it is satisfying. like the bottom half of my lungs don't fill up. as for the palpitations, mine are more noticeable around bedtime but again I feel/hear the thump of my heartbeat in my head on a regular basis. I have unusual thoughts as well, but I have to ask.. ISN'T THIS NORMAL FOR EVERYONE?  not just those with MI

I think it's normal for everyone to breathe quite shallowly, yes. Most people (unless they are singers or something) don't breathe deeply on a regular basis. I also struggle with getting a deep breath. It takes quite a few deep breaths before I can finally fill my lungs. 

As for the palpitations, it is not normal to feel palpitations. If you focus on your heart beat, it is normal to become aware of it and to possibly feel your heart beating softly in your chest (Or sometimes I "hear" it in my ears, or feel my pulse in my abdomen). I personally can't feel it beating in my chest, I can just see my heart beating because my chest moves a bit when it beats. But it is not normal to feel like your heart is about to beat out of your chest, or to feel your heart "flutter". That is usually a sign something is wrong (be it related to anxiety, stress or a physical problem with your body). 

And the unusual thoughts, well everyone has unusual thoughts from time to time. It is when these thoughts start impacting your day-to-day life or start causing you immense distress, that it becomes a problem. 

Edited by Parapluie

I think it's normal for everyone to breathe quite shallowly, yes. Most people (unless they are singers or something) don't breathe deeply on a regular basis. I also struggle with getting a deep breath. It takes quite a few deep breaths before I can finally fill my lungs. 

As for the palpitations, it is not normal to feel palpitations. If you focus on your heart beat, it is normal to become aware of it and to possibly feel your heart beating softly in your chest (Or sometimes I "hear" it in my ears, or feel my pulse in my abdomen). I personally can't feel it beating in my chest, I can just see my heart beating because my chest moves a bit when it beats. But it is not normal to feel like your heart is about to beat out of your chest, or to feel your heart "flutter". That is usually a sign something is wrong (be it related to anxiety, stress or a physical problem with your body). 

And the unusual thoughts, well everyone has unusual thoughts from time to time. It is when these thoughts start impacting your day-to-day life or start causing you immense distress, that it becomes a problem. 

I have to really concentrate on taking a deep breath. most times I have to bend at the waist and use gravity to help allow my chest to expand.  I can feel it in my chest and it sounds like its in my ears. if I didn't 'talk' myself out of these thoughts or if my brain could slow down at all it would greatly impact my life. I avoid anything that might trigger these thoughts. I can' think about basic things such as being late, or what to do for dinner, or getting somewhere on time. figuring out schedules and how things are going to go.. I'm always late. not bc I want to be or that I don't care but simply bc I could not function due to the stress and severe anxiety of worrying about being there on time, if I remembered everything, and probably couldn't even remember what I was suppose tto be doing.