CrazyBoards.org

I couldn't sleep on amytryptaline so...

Effexor is a completely different drug than imipramine. Effexor is a newer antidepressant, an SNRI, while imiprimine is a TCA (tricyclic), an older type of antidepressant. Some people with bipolar disorder and whatnot have more luck with TCA's because they don't seem to cause mania as much.

Higher chance doesn't mean you'll get it. TCAs are, in general, more activating that other ADs. Give me an SSRI or SNRI and I'll be manic in less than a week. Give me a TCA, and I'm feeling better in a few days with no signs of mania. According to what "they" say, it should be the opposite. It isn't for me. So, no matter what you read, that doesn't mean that's what'll happen to you. You can get scared by reading and maybe miss out on a med that might actually help you. But it's your choice. 

If you aren't going to take a med, you should probably tell your pdoc. There are certain meds I will never take again. He knows that. He still tries to get me to try every once in a while but I'm not going there again. Rather than tell him I'd take it and then not, it is much better that I tell him I won't take it and lets find an alternative.

I see your point, however amitriptyline made me feel like I had just injected caffeine into my veins all night long so why would I try another TA?

My main issues are panic and anxiety, mostly at night now so Im thinking something that works on dopamine? Of course I need to talk to my dr

There are TCA's that are more sedating and better suited for sleep, at least from my experience with them. Doxepin and trimipramine come to mind. 25 to 75 mgs, you can go higher but above 75 mgs these TCA's act as  antidepressants

Edited by notfred

'TCA' only refers to chemical structure.  The other classes of AD's are classified by chemical method of action.  The TCA's are a large lot, and quite variable in terms of method of action.  If nothing else, I'd recommend voicing your concerns with your doc/nurse and engage in a dialogue about why this is being pursued.  There is a lot to be learned.

Just wanted to point out, side effects that appear 2 days in will not necessarily be there 6 weeks in. I have tried a few meds that made me feel very speedy and have trouble sleeping in the beginning, and it passed. Wellbutrin was one of the worst for this, particularly in the first couple of weeks. But here I am, 25 years later, still taking it.

You really have to give new meds a chance; two days isn't really going to demonstrate what your side effect profile will look like in a few months. edit: dropped paradoxical effect comment.

Also, every med has side effects, and every anti-depressant *can* cause mania, even if rarely. It doesn't mean they will. But in essence, what you are saying is that you will try no anti-depressants, because of fear of mania. I think if you look at the signatures of people with Bipolar illness, you will see a lot of ADs.

Edited by crtclms

Deeschmee, have you looked into Remeron (mirtazipine)? That's used for anxiety, depression and bp. It can be sedating so I don't think it would provoke anxiety.

I've been one of the lucky ones for whom buspirone (Buspar) works really well. It really helped dampen my anxiety, which was pretty much constant. Unfortunately it doesn't work for a lot of people because it's action is very specific to the 5HT1A receptor (with a llttle touch on the dopamine D2). But if that's what's causing problems for you, then it's great. It's short acting so I take 15mg 3xs/day and the max dose seems to be 20 mg 3xs/day. Pretty innocuous side effects and it's not a benzo, so it's non-addictive.

Also, every med has side effects, and every anti-depressant *can* cause mania, even if rarely. It doesn't mean they will. But in essence, what you are saying is that you will try no anti-depressants, because of fear of mania. I think if you look at the signatures of people with Bipolar illness, you will see a lot of ADs.

I am willing to try an AD just not a tricyclic one. I really think I need a dopamine agonist would work for me, but Have to talk to my p-nurse when she gets back from vacation ;)

Deeschmee, have you looked into Remeron (mirtazipine)? That's used for anxiety, depression and bp. It can be sedating so I don't think it would provoke anxiety.

I've been one of the lucky ones for whom buspirone (Buspar) works really well. It really helped dampen my anxiety, which was pretty much constant. Unfortunately it doesn't work for a lot of people because it's action is very specific to the 5HT1A receptor (with a llttle touch on the dopamine D2). But if that's what's causing problems for you, then it's great. It's short acting so I take 15mg 3xs/day and the max dose seems to be 20 mg 3xs/day. Pretty innocuous side effects and it's not a benzo, so it's non-addictive.

Thank you! I will ask my p-nurse when she gets back from vacation! ^_^