CrazyBoards.org

Why Did This happen?

Ive been taking Oxcarbazepine 150mg every night for the past 4 nights. I still was feeling depressed so I had some leftover Venlafexine 37.5mg so I took one yesterday early. I took my regular Oxcarbazepine at about 8 pm and an hour later I was having a panic attack, couldn't stay still, heart racing, couldn't sleep 

Any thoughts?

It could be a coincidence. It could also be a side effect from one of the medications. I know Celexa gave me horrible panic attacks. I would point my finger at the Effexor first. But then again, it could have been a total coincidence and you just happened to have a panic attack after taking your meds. 

You should really talk to your pdoc before starting the Effexor again. They need to know this kind of stuff. 

Thanks guys. I actually took myself off venlafaxine because I felt it started to give me anxiety.

No more taking leftover meds without talking to my dr. This worked a good 2 years for me though

Why is it so difficult to get the med combo right?

Why is it so difficult to get the med combo right?

Fortunately or unfortunately, everyone has a unique body chemistry that will respond differently to different meds. Sometimes it can take a lot of time to find the right meds because of this. I was lucky and hit the jackpot with Abilify, only the second anti-psychotic I ever tried. But not everyone is so lucky. I understand your frustration, it can be very disheartening when meds don't work for us. But keep trying, there are thousands of med combinations out there and some of them are bound to work for you. Keep your doctor informed about your symptoms, tell them whether you think a med is working or not and keep track of your symptoms. This will help you find the right combination. 

As a bipolar person, it is important to keep track of your moods, symptoms, sleep, and any other pertinent information. This will all help you find the right med combination.

Good luck to you, and I'm sorry you're on the med-go-round. Hopefully it will be a short ride. 

As has been suggested before, you need to make an appointment with a psychiatrist for a complete evaluation and medication protocol.

Nurse practitioners are a great asset, conjunct to care, but they need to work closely with a Pdoc.

Recently you once again mentioned you boyfriend. It has long been my contention that treatment for your various mental illnesses should begin with a cold, hard look at your relationship with him and how your relationship with your daughter is affected/infected/effected by that relationship.

I understand that you have stated that the basic support you have in life comes from your fucked-up boy friend and his equally, or so you have said, fucked-up family.

In your situation I would be packing my personals and those of my child and seeking shelter anywhere but where you are. Having followed your posts and now your blog, I honestly cannot see you gaining personal worth, personal awareness, and the ability to move forward in a positive way until you have removed yourself from that toxic environment.

As has been suggested before, you need to make an appointment with a psychiatrist for a complete evaluation and medication protocol.

Nurse practitioners are a great asset, conjunct to care, but they need to work closely with a Pdoc.

Recently you once again mentioned you boyfriend. It has long been my contention that treatment for your various mental illnesses should begin with a cold, hard look at your relationship with him and how your relationship with your daughter is affected/infected/effected by that relationship.

I understand that you have stated that the basic support you have in life comes from your fucked-up boy friend and his equally, or so you have said, fucked-up family.

In your situation I would be packing my personals and those of my child and seeking shelter anywhere but where you are. Having followed your posts and now your blog, I honestly cannot see you gaining personal worth, personal awareness, and the ability to move forward in a positive way until you have removed yourself from that toxic environment.

I hear you loud and clear, however the very last thing that I could handle is to be homeless right now with my MI being so unstable. I don't think it would be beneficial what-so-ever for my daughter to be without a place to live along with a mentally unstable, financially troubled, unemployed parent.

You cant possibly disagree with the current circumstance? And thank you, truly for paying attention

Also when I asked my counselor about an evaluation with a psychiatrist, she said the p-nurse is just as good

I hear you loud and clear, however the very last thing that I could handle is to be homeless right now with my MI being so unstable. I don't think it would be beneficial what-so-ever for my daughter to be without a place to live along with a mentally unstable, financially troubled, unemployed parent.

You cant possibly disagree with the current circumstance? And thank you, truly for paying attention

I think you need to find alternative living accommodations for you and your daughter. You need a clean break. You need independence and self-reliance. Yes, I disagree with the current circumstances.

If your counselor refused your request for a psychiatric evaluation, you need a new counselor.

Even in this very small, very rural, very conservation part of the US there are women's and children's shelters that will house you, feed you, clothe you and assist you with find health care  and employment. One of the shelters is a 90 day agreement, but another is long term residential assistance.

Do the home work, you own it to your child even if you do not recognize that you owe it to yourself.