CrazyBoards.org

Hey everyone! I am new to forums in general so this might take a bit of getting used to for me. I hope this is not too long.

I am a 21 year old female who was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder when I was 18. I was on Celexa for almost 2 1/2 years and it worked wonders. Last summer I began to notice my anxiety symptoms again, with no known external cause to me. I had two really bad panic attacks and generally felt uneasy. In the fall I broke up with my girlfriend of almost 2 years, partially due to my anxiety and stress issues. After that point I began to feel depressed, which was something completely unknown and scary to me. I then withdrew from Celexa because it wasn't doing anything for me anymore (the withdrawals were hell) and began 40mg of Remeron to combat my depression and anxiety. Things began to get worse and I was having trouble eating and not sleeping (a problem I have had since I was a kid, but has been exacerbated by my anxiety issues). I saw a counselor regularly, but had a mini mental breakdown due to not being able to sleep for 3 full days with intense panic attacks.  I began seeing a new psychiatrist on campus who put me on Seroquel for sleep (and possibly Bi-Polar 2). The Seroquel has been great for my sleeping issues, but it is still a daily battle for me with my anxiety. On the outside I literally have everything I could want and am a very productive member of society: I do well at school and was recently elected twice for two big positions on campus, I have two internships this summer, manage a band and am living in a brand new city. I have a new job and a new girlfriend and an amazing support system. Yet I still feel like a prisoner in my own body. 

Essentially what I am hoping to gain here is to hear if others have similar issues and advice on how to combat them. I am hoping to try and not be on medication any longer and possibly find other outlets and supplements to help treat my mental illness. I'm not looking for anyone to hold my hand here or give me unrealistic expectations, it would just be nice to hear what you guys all think and how you deal with your own mental illness!

Welcome to Crazyboards.  I ask all new members to please read the rules so you understand how we operate.

I hope you are continuing to see a counselor.  If not, therapy might be something you should consider.

Good luck and I imagine you will meet lots of people here who will share their experiences with you. 

olga