CrazyBoards.org

I STILL! can't cry!

Sometimes, I really want to cry, but it seems to get choked up and caught up along the way. Yes, catharsis hurts, but it's like pushing on a bruise - it feels sort of nice, too.

So, what do you do help it along?

Thus far I've gotten to: watch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. That movie always makes me cry. I also listen to Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. The first movement, especially, is devastating.

Anything else? What works for you?

I cried at the end of The Silver Linings Playbook, even tho I didn't think it portrayed serious manic depressive illness.

It may have been the fact that it had a happy ending.  So, yeah, movies. 

Terms of Endearment-that one always gets me. A game of Rumikub (frustration tears). Chopping onions. Self-pity will sometimes make me squeeze out some tears. Oh, thinking of my two long-lost journals. Alright, now I'm crying...

I don't know if you have children or a  close family member  that means alot to you I think about how i feel if something happened to one of children, i also have a hard time crying i was raised to be "tough" crying was look at as weak...but my kids always get to me i cant even think about them getting hurt...ect

I go between not being able to cry and gong through days or weeks when I have many 30 minute+ crying jags, complete with heaving sobs.

People dying in books almost always does it for me, like if I can't shed a tear over my own sadness, at least I can do it for someone else's. Also way more controllable as I can get away from it if I need to by just closing the book.

Labo0, I completely agree with you on John Green.

The Harry Potter deaths in books 5-7 will do it too because they're seriously beloved characters.

One Day by David Nicholls is very effective.

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx is pretty brutal, so is watching the bit of the movie with the shirt.

i'm sorry you can't cry.  i was like that for years, until my depression turned into the weepy type (sometimes).

to make myself cry i would always have to think of other people.  not me.  it's mostly like that still.

this makes me cry though:

http://youtu.be/TC5KAN2l0f8

(i can't remember how to make proper youtube links)

Inducing tears for me is like trying to "whip up a manic." I react to whatever I'm actually feeling, which seems the sane thing to do. Sane meaning, that's obviously our goal, right?

:)

Edited by goldfish