CrazyBoards.org

Night Eating Syndrome

I've been eating in my sleep for over 8 months now. It could be related to anxiety & medications but I'm not certain. Has anyone else experienced this? It's driving me crazy b/c I'm unhappy with my weight  and trying to lose some. It's counterproductive for me and I can't stop. I've even put chains and locks on my cupboards. I've read about it and it's (loosely) considered an eating disorder, although it's not in the latest DSM. It's making me obsess about my weight more. Everyone says that I look fine, but I don't think so. I know it's the disorder (history of anorexia/bulimia) talking but I still want to change how I look. :(

I feel what you're going through. I woke up in front of the fridge when I was on Seroquel all the time with, like, a chicken leg in my hand. People think you look the same, while you have to keep buying bigger pants.

This may be a stupid solution, but it worked for me. Frozen dinners only in your house, or stuff you have to prepare. You'll wake up enough to be able to stop yourself. Also, keep fruit where you can get it, it will keep the hunger away.

Good luck!

Ambien and Seroquel did this to me. I still have some residual episodes. It is horrid. The border between Night Eating Syndrome and binge eating disorder seems thin to me. I've been dx'ed with binge eating disorder, but all my binges happen at night. No longer in my sleep (hence the change from night eating syndrome), but I still struggle with "needing"to eat before I go to bed.

Ambien and Seroquel did this to me. I still have some residual episodes. It is horrid. The border between Night Eating Syndrome and binge eating disorder seems thin to me. I've been dx'ed with binge eating disorder, but all my binges happen at night. No longer in my sleep (hence the change from night eating syndrome), but I still struggle with "needing"to eat before I go to bed.

Yep, same for me. My binges happen at night, I'm fine/busy throughout the day and then when I'm settling down I find myself in the kitchen scarfing down something, I'm not asleep but I don't feel totally conscious either. I'm trying to eliminate bingeing. It's hard. 

I am doing it a lot when I wake up from nightmares, lately. Did it again last night & feel sick this morning. I'm putting on weight as a result of this and it's depressing. A lot of my pants don't fit anymore. : ( I'm going to talk to my pdoc about it. Maybe we can increase my Prazosin (take it for nightmares) and see if that helps. It's tough b/c it's like I have no will power over this. I woke up 3 times last night and ate. I also wonder if I may have some depression setting in-I eat more when I'm depressed. Also, my anxiety level has been higher since I went off (tapered to 0mg) of Celexa. That could be contributing to the binges. See pdoc Wednesday, hope she has some answers!

I am doing it a lot when I wake up from nightmares, lately. Did it again last night & feel sick this morning. I'm putting on weight as a result of this and it's depressing. A lot of my pants don't fit anymore. : ( I'm going to talk to my pdoc about it. Maybe we can increase my Prazosin (take it for nightmares) and see if that helps. It's tough b/c it's like I have no will power over this. I woke up 3 times last night and ate. I also wonder if I may have some depression setting in-I eat more when I'm depressed. Also, my anxiety level has been higher since I went off (tapered to 0mg) of Celexa. That could be contributing to the binges. See pdoc Wednesday, hope she has some answers!

I was like this for years but wasn't on any medication at all. I'd wake from nightmares and automatically head for the kitchen. If I sleep during the day, cat nap which does generally help with energy levels, I'll often also wake wanting to eat. What got me off it was (a) removing easily grabbed tasty food and (b) having to go on a strict sports specific diet, my success for the sport I loved depended on me sticking to the diet and because I was so determined and dedicated I managed it. I would put a litre of water by my bed with BCAA (aminos) powder in it and forced myself to drink that whenever I woke. It did return a bit after I got through the serious phase of my sport but I killed it again by getting another goal, and going back to having the amino drink. I believe it becomes a habit and once broken it goes away. The drink I think really helps and might be something for you to try.

Thanks for the tip. I added some veggies and tea to my fridge/freezer this weekend. So, wake up and eat edamame, for instance. Or drink tea. We've increased my nightmare med and I've got a lot of yoga lined up for the week. When I exercise more I crave sweet less. We'll see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Omg I want to cry, although I'm not techically asleep I cant stop filling my face at night and im so ridiculously overweight and I find it so depressing. I am on seroquel and I know it plays a big part but its the best med for me otherwise but I wake up and im so embarrased when I see the carnage from the previous night

I had to stop taking Seroquel b/c of the weight gain and depression I felt from all of the gain. For me, some of the side effects aren't worth taking the med. I would talk to your tdoc about it! I'm sorry you feel so bad-i can definitely relate! I've seen other threads on here that talk specifically about Seroquel, you might wanna check those out. See what others' experiences have been and if they have any suggestions. Good luck!

Edited by Jaytea

• 2 months later...

This happens to me. It has slowed down since I came off Effexor. Wheni tell people they laugh. Think it is hilarious. For me it is disheartening as I am trying to lose weight. It started in university and is triggered at stressful times in my life. Hate it!!!! Went to a sleep doctor a couple of weeks ago who said I needed cognitive therapy. Any thoughts about this????

This happens to me sometimes - I'll wake up in the morning to a house littered with dozens of granola bar wrappers. What I usually do is lock my bedroom door when I go to bed, and keep a tupperware container of various snacks that won't go bad on my bedside table.

I'm back to sleep eating again since we increased my mood stabilizer recently. I can't say for sure that the increase caused it though. I'm feeling a lot of stress right now and when I originally posted in this thread in June about my sleep eating I was feeling anxious & eating at night then. I don't know about cognitive therapy for night eating syndrome. Maybe I'll ask my tdoc about it next week since I am doing it again!!