CrazyBoards.org

Abilify for schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type

I am on 5mg Abilify for psychosis NOS, schizoaffective or paranoid schizophrenia. They've thrown multiple diagnosis at me and I'm not sure which one to believe. But anyway, I take that dose for my symptoms and that seems to work. It's the only med I take. Most people I've read about however take it at much higher doses. Is it true that Abilify only has antipsychotic effects at 10mg. Then why prescribe me 5?

I was on 3 mg for a while and it helped some but I had to switch because I was developing tongue twitches. Not sure if I would have felt better on the higher dose but I think it's possible for the lower dose to work on some people.

i'm on it, and i'm on 8.5 mg- i take half of a 15 mg and half of a 1 mg to get to 8.5 (give or take a crumb). i have found it to be extremely helpful. i too started out at a really low dose, and we just kept tweaking until we got to a good dosage for me. everyone is different. i tend to metabolize extremely slowly so it turns out lower doses are better for me. YMMV

You probably started on 5 mg because with drugs affecting the brain and heart you wanna go low and slow. This is likely just a starting dose for you that may or may not be raised in the future.

I personally take 30 mg of Abilify for my schizoaffective and I need that much to control my psychosis right now. In the future, my docs and i have discussed lowering it once I've been stable for a long time.

Everyone needs different dosages. Maybe this small dose will work for you?

Edited to add: I read your post wrong, I thought you said you were started on Abilify 5 mg. Now that I read it right...

If 5 mg is controlling your symptoms, I think that's a good thing. My pdoc always says that less drugs is better. During my first psychotic episode, I was put on 5 mg of Abilify and it made a difference within a week. It didn't control my symptoms well enough though, so we had to raise it. My Abilify has been raised steadily ever since (My psychosis is stubborn). 

Edited by Parapluie

I'm on 10mg, supposed to be raised to 15mg next week.

I found that even at just 5 it was making a difference but it was by no means controlling my symptoms yet. If 5 helps you then you should stay at 5, you don't want to be loaded up with more medication than you really need.

I love abilify. It really helps my mood and other stuff.

I agree that if that dose works for you then that's great! If it ain't broke don't fix it, you know?

I was put on 40mg of abilify but 30mg seems to be my sweet spot. So an IP pdoc reduced my dosage recently back to 30mg. Higher doses are not always better. It is a very individual thing.

I hope it continues to help you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya - I have Schizo-Affective Disorder.

I am on Abilify, it is a brilliant drug - for me. Everybody is different though. My advice is, one that I gave myself without realising it - stick with what it is, If its working, don't mess about, you could relapse.

I hope you do continue to do take it and I do hope that it still works years down the line :)

xx