CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone else deal with anxiety that seems to directly manifest in their gut? Whenever I feel even the slight bit of anxiety, my gut begins to feel nauseous and cramps a lot. My appetite is immediately diminished and I feel the need to throw up or go to the bathroom. My panic attacks manifest as me throwing up for sometimes hours (usually painful dry-heaving if I have felt anxiety all day that means I was also too nauseous to eat). 

This has been going on for the entire 5 years I have diagnosed and my weight has suffered because of it. I am naturally very thin, but when I am going through bad bouts of anxiety I can't eat for weeks (except for some toast here and there maybe) and even drinking is hard. It hasn't been as bad as I am describing constantly for a while now, but I still have a few days a month where this happens (I am on Seroquel and Remeron, with Klonopin for emergencies). The Remeron gives me intense "munchies", but I take it at night to help me sleep so it's not exactly like I am getting the adequate nutrition at 11pm every night. It's especially hard when I am out with someone or out to dinner and I have to make an excuse why I am not hungry ("But you haven't eaten all day!") or why I have only had a few bites of my dinner ("I have a headache, it's making me feel naseous").

Does anyone else experience this? Or know of anything that could help? Klonopin is great at stopping the anxiety (although it definitely takes more pills than it used to, to do the job), but it doesn't wholly help with my appetite.

I can relate somewhat. I'm not taking any medications at the moment, but week before last or so I completely lost my appetite entirely. Part of it was just that nothing sounded good to me, part of it was that I was too preoccupied by the anxiety and other things that were going on to worry about food, and part of it was that I was experiencing horrible bloating, acid reflux, heartburn, and nausea and had no idea what I should even try to eat that wasn't going to bother me...not to mention my anxiety increased when I would think about eating and the acid reflux/heartburn coming back. I lost 8 pounds in just under a week. Ginger tea really helps to settle my stomach, and if not ginger then Peppermint.

I also get these visceral reactions with my gut. Its weird, especially with anxiety: I literally feel everything in the pit of my stomach. I definitely do not eat when I'm anxious or drink. I also have a cyclical vomiting problem so I vomit enough as it is but I vomit at a lot of things as a general response. I have been having a lot of panic attacks lately and I've been using my ativan but its been taking a while now for me to calm down and my stomach flips out. Idk its weird that they are so connected.

Mine goes from my stomach up to my head.    It almost feels as if there's a reverse cyclone going up to my temple area.  Swirls around and around in my stomach and pin points right to my temples.   My chest is tight and my heart pounds.   I know this because its going on right now and I'm just so tired of it...   If I stop and think about it... The anxiety is just because I'm alone in my life.  Family is 1000 miles away and I ended a 14 year relationship.    I get that anxious feeling when I want a hug.  My mom died in Jan and it's like my body wants that and only that to heal me.

I know it sounds crazy... but that's what I've been fighting with regards to my anxiety feeling.

I took a Food and Nutrition class a couple of years ago.  I learned that the majority of your serotonin is produced in your intestinal tract and redirected to the brain, so if things are askew, that only makes sense. I am sure the accuracy police will come in an verify that one.

I have a brother that has pretty bad IBS.  It manifests itself when he is severely stressed.  He has an anxiety disorder.  He actually works with a gastroenterologist on this.  They cleaned him completely out and did a scope to check things out in the colon etc.  Then started him on on an anti-D... and told him to get a dog.  My brother was leaning towards getting a lap dog.  Both have helped in managing his stress.

I'm like KeatsEremite, it starts in the stomach, and goes to the head. Although, when does anything not go to my head?

But this is for anxiety. My panic attacks have too many things going on at once for me to focus on any one thing.

The stomach and mind are connected...I read about it in Chinese medicine books.

I believe it's true because I have the same kind of thing...I feel 'funny' inside my stomach--like there's all this 'excitement' feeling in there, and then it builds and spreads throughout my body into a full-blown panic attack....And if I am upset and anxious, it spreads into my stomach where I can't eat, I'm nauseous, and I feel like I'm going to have serious diarrhea. (TMI?)

Kinda what got me into treatment was the constant trips to the ER for bowel problems...I'd always be sick and have diarrhea and nausea...And after sitting in ER after ER, and test after test, it would come down to 'gastritis' or nothing at all--they'd send me home with some anti-nausea med that would knock me out for 2 days. Once I got treated for anxiety, the trips the ER stopped totally. If I feel anxious to the point where I'm in a full-blown panic, I take a pill and let it do it's thing. I take my meds at night too if I wake up in a panic attack (nocturnal panic attacks are the worst!!!!)...instead of sitting at the ER.

I definitely agree with you, brokendishes, that the stomach and mind are connected. I think everything is connected back to the mind in a lot of ways. I know the more I focus on any of my symptoms, the more apparent they become and then the more apparent others become and I end up getting hyperaware of every little thing contstantly which then starts to become a bit hypchondriacal since so much of my anxiety now stems from fear of there being something wrong with me. Talk about never ending cycle! Just curious, but have you ever tried Reiki? Just thought I'd asked since you commented about Chinese medicine.

The first thing I Notice with anxiety is that it feels like someone punched me in the stomach, or I have really bad butterflies. I can usually get a PRN in before it goes full out.