CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar and Antidepressants

In my personal experience this medication nearly killed me as well. I have a hard time believing that a responsible practitioner with any real knowledge of BP would say it is the "go to" anti depressant. This drug is what finally led me to seek deeper answers than my prior diagnosis of major depression.

Thank you for sharing this article. It's new info for me! I'm off an AD (Celexa) now (tapered down to 0 from 30mg) and wd is terrible. But I am starting to feel again. When I was on a few ADs my mania kicked in big time last fall & I considered going to a hospital. I tapered off of Wellbutrin and added Trileptal & it helped eventually. I am hoping to go off of Abilify next. I'm tired of taking so many medications!

Thank you for sharing this article. It's new info for me! I'm off an AD (Celexa) now (tapered down to 0 from 30mg) and wd is terrible. But I am starting to feel again. When I was on a few ADs my mania kicked in big time last fall & I considered going to a hospital. I tapered off of Wellbutrin and added Trileptal & it helped eventually. I am hoping to go off of Abilify next. I'm tired of taking so many medications!

So what is your experience with Abilify? Im considering this one in addition to Trileptal

I've actually done really well with Abilify. Varying dosages, depending on where my mood has swung to (Bipolar1). I want to get off of it b/c it is the next one on the list that pdoc has said we could try eliminating in oreder to get my # of meds down. I was taking 8 meds, now down to 6.

Edited by Jaytea

I can't read the article for some reason, maybe I'm having a dopey moment or something? 

I take Effexor and I do just fine on it. I don't actually know if it does anything for me. I never felt it work. I was on 300 mg of Effexor (the max dose) for three weeks and still felt nothing, until we added Abilify. Abilify changed my life. 

My docs are too scared to take Effexor out of my cocktail though, cause I'm finally doing well (aside from a hypomanic episode recently... maybe they should have taken me off the Effexor THEN, but I digress...). 

Maybe one day, when I've been stable for a long time, will we think of taking Effexor out of my cocktail. So far, it is not doing me any harm. If it starts doing me harm (causing rapid cycling or something else nasty), then we will obviously remove it. 

I think the reason I do well on Effexor is because I am on 30 mg of Abilify, which is a strong anti-manic. Dunno why I had a hypomanic episode then. *shrug* Brains are weird. 

As for Abilify, just wanna give my two cents: I LOVE ABILIFY. 'nuff said. 

Edited by Parapluie

I also take the max dose of effexor. I don't think I have any problems with it? I was told it is going to be used for my anxiety and OCD and not depression since I am SZA bipolar. I really don't know if that makes sense to me. That is what an IP pdoc told me anyways.

And oops I also cannot seem to access the article. I did not have an account to sign in with. So maybe I shouldn't be responding to this post. lol

I can't access the article either.  I take 2 anti-depressants, lexapro and wellbutrin without problems, but I have other meds on board. I know some pdocs won't prescribe antidepressants to patients with bipolar because of the risk of mania

The ADs I could handle the best were the SNRI's, but I did WEIRD shit on Effexor for months (even though I'd been taking it a while at that point). 

Everything else is a NO. SSRI's I won't touch EVER AGAIN. I was IP in the hospital while on Prozac because I was depressed and shitty enough to be there because I just didn't know how much longer I could hold out. Went off it and was fine very shortly after.

But I generally do my best without AD's. I've never had a HAPPY mania on any one of them besides Remeron, I did on Remeron, looking back but no one knew I was bipolar at that time, so, whatever Just horrible mixed-like shit on I think everything but SNRI's. Ugh. No more, I don't think.

I only tried 2 SSRIs. Prozac made me manic, Zoloft made me jittery and angry. Then I tried Wellbutrin, and it has on the whole worked well for me, although it works better when I am on a mood stabilizer. Before the mood stabilizers, my depressive episodes could last 1-2 years, but with the Wellbutrin/Mood stabilizer combo, it was more like 4 months.

But I am probably weaning off Wellbutrin, because we think it may have pooped out, and that it is just making me anxious. But that is after 20+ years. Plus, my pain Dr. thinks it is bad for pain. I don't know what we will try next.

I took Wellbutrin for a major depressive episode and it helped a ton. I will take it again when the drop down comes around again. I had to taper off of it when I went into a manic phase. And that's when i went back on Abilify. Re-adding the Abilify and introducing Trileptal calmed me down from the highest mania I'd experienced since getting sober. Went on Trileptal after trying a few others that didn't work (including lithium, ). I've tried many over the years and have a good combo right now, thankfully.

I can't access the article either but I was on Effexor 150mg for many years. It was fine as long as I took a mood stabiliser with it, without it, it made me manic. I now take Wellbutrin which is supposed to be the least likely to cause mania. And a bit of Zoloft for anxiety.

Edited by Luna-

I was on 375 mg of Effexor along with mood stabilizers and antipsychotics and was in the worst mixed state (hearing voices, tried to bump myself off) I've ever experienced. Prozac caused pure euphoric hypomania (whee!) that tilted into full-blown mania ( my poor bank account! whee! and STD situation - HPV! High risk of cervical cancer! Whee!). I'm never taking an antidepressant again as long as I live.  

Edited by bookgirl

In my personal experience this medication nearly killed me as well. I have a hard time believing that a responsible practitioner with any real knowledge of BP would say it is the "go to" anti depressant. This drug is what finally led me to seek deeper answers than my prior diagnosis of major depression.

I think you are confusing "go to" with mandatory. Lamictal is now the "go to" AC for bipolar, but lithium is still the gold standard (i.e., the go to mood stabilizer).

"Go to" is more a term of art than a rigid guide. If you just started with a new psychiatrist, are not on meds, and you agree that is appropriate, your pdoc pretty much has to take a stab in the dark as to how to medicate you.

Having standard "first" meds means they are familiar with what *should* happen. So if you don't fall into the group for whom it works, it tells them to move on, and maybe even have a hint of what med to take next.

There is a reason it takes some people years and years to find a cocktail that works, it is all the tweaks and testing of new meds.