CrazyBoards.org

Does anybody else get anxious then throw up?

That's been happening to me since sixth grade. It's not a lot a lot but still more than you're suppose to. I've been staying home a lot keeping to myself and when I get out, I'm surrounded by a lot of people. Then I feel super quesy and have to run off. It sucks so bad and it's embarrassing. I'll try hard to think about something else so I feel better but that rarely works. I'm thinking about going to the doctor.

If anyone else has this problem, is there a way to control it?

this happens to x he would get so anxious he would throw up,and also my oldest son for him it stared in first grade, i don't know what to say to help you as far as i know my x has found no way of controling it, my son is having a hard time right now with even leaving the house  but it does happen to other people....good luck

I get nauseated, but then get stomach cramps, and the gut usually wins. But I have thrown up out of anxiety, just not for years. I wish I had a suggestion; I think I grew out of it, which doesn't help crzygrl's child.

Well, there are a couple of ideas.  First, if you have a g-doc, you might discuss the use of an anti-nausea med taken as a preventative.  I've taken phenergan for nausea associated with anxiety ...  you take it at the first sign of nausea, so if you find yourself suddenly feeling like you are about to throw up, it might not work quickly enough.  It is fairly fast-acting, though.

An OTC remedy that has helped me -  YMMV (your mileage may vary!) is ginger, either as a tea or in capsules, which you can find in the vitamin section.  I take it before I go out or before an anxiety-provoking situation.  I've also taken it when I feel like I am going to throw up, and it works fairly well.  Again, you'll have to see.   

There is also imodium which comes in just the "stop diarrhea" form (loperamide) and also can be purchased in an "enhanced" form which helps with gas and bloating.  I don't know how appropriate that would be for plain ol' nausea and vomiting.  

i know - it does truly suck to throw up. Then even the fear of possibly throwing up keeps you home.   If you have a t-doc, you should also discuss general strategies to reduce and manage anxiety.  If your anxiety is managed, then the vomiting may also decrease.  

Good luck!

Love this topic.

well, I haven't had it to the degree you have, but yes, I have literally thrown up a few times in my life when very nervous. One time I clearly remember was on my way to a job interview. I remember it because I told it to a couple of people at work (why did I tell them I was on a job interview somewhere else?!) and they gave me strange looks.

Mostly I had a problem as a child and sometimes as an adult where I would do a lot of coughing and dry retching, kind of like a dog before it coughs up some grass. Very weird and I haaaaate when I do it around my SO. I think most all of that stuff happened when I was not on antidepressants or antianxiety meds.

I have heard ginger is good for people going on a cruise so they don't get seasick. I dunno, peppermint tea is very soothing to me if I do feel bloated and stuff from eating gassy foods. So who knows, maybe peppermint tea or some other kind of herbal tea. Or a med tweak by your doctor.

There is no medication to relax my stomach or help with nausea? It's so embarrassing sometimes I don't even want to go out.

Have you tried meclizine (Bonine)?  I use that sometimes when I am anxious.  It calms my stomach only because it makes me less anxious.

Yes, not often but yes I can make myself sick from being in a panicky situation or worrying. I usually try and take some tums lol

Or if gravol doesn't make you too tired, that helps, but not if your already close to puking...throwing up gravol is the worst...

Breathing. If its situational getting away from it for a bit

I throw up when axious too.. except for me it starts as a gag reflex. I gag and then it makes my stomach feel like the beginning of the puke cycle. I don't usually get nausea first, all of a sudden I just gag and then I have to run to the bathroom. The only thing I have found that helps the acute short-term issue is taking my ativan. But long-term, if this keeps happening over a period of days or weeks, in general I'm not sure how to control it. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me in a few months.

One time I went on a date with this girl I liked, and I couldn't eat because I felt so nervous that I was going to puke. I was honest with her and told her that I was nervous and going to puke, and for years she took this as "you're disgusting and want to make me puke" lol. I had to explain that it was like that kid, Stan, on South Park - whenever he got close to, or spoke with that Wendy girl, he would throw up.

Sometimes I have the urge to poop. . . but it doesn't always happen.

If I'm going out with my friends though, I go to brush my teeth. If I'm super anxious while brushing my teeth, I'm going to puke. I think it's because my gag-reflex just. . . no. Terrible. So if I brush far enough back (which I have to) I will totally puke. Happens a lot actually.

But it doesn't just happen if I'm not brushing my teeth. Feel sick? Yeah. Won't puke though.

I used to throw up all the freakin time from anxiety--it started in about middle school.  Someone mentioned ginger earlier, and when I'm feeling nauseous, it's amazing!  I'll still feel a little queasy, but it will keep me from getting nauseous enough that I vomit.

Really good recipe:  http://www.thekitchn.com/my-secret-to-a-restful-overnight-flight-inflight-ginger-tea-190974