CrazyBoards.org

Medicine compliance

This whole "medicine compliance" thing is a struggle for me. I take my A.M. medicine fine. Working on a better routiene to take my PM medicine. I wouldn't be surprised if it is partly because in my family, we were always taught (mostly by example) that you could just take your medicine when you need them even if the doctor told you to take them every day.

Does anyone else struggle with medicine compliance? I know at least one other person on here does. I just feel really alone right now, like I'm the only one struggling with this issue, and like I should be able to take my sleep medicine already, because they help.  And I'm feeling like a huge baby for having this issue again and again and again. 

So...am I alone in the medicine compliance struggle or do other people struggle with taking them too?

ETA: Lastly, I feel like I should have learned this by now -- to just take my medicine, already...but I still don't want too. And I still feel alone in this nature.

Edited by writeandshiny

I struggle with med compliance, so much so that I had to switch to injections.  It's not a concious decision not to take my meds, I just don't take them.  I'm practicing med compliance right now with multi vitamins trying to build a routine.

I understand though

A therapist (talk therapy) can help with this. If you can't bring yourself to take your meds for psychological reasons, even though you know you need them, there is, by definition, a deeper problem.

I have a therapist for treatment of something similar. I take my meds, but I have a lot of psychological pain with the "I'll have this for the rest of my life" concept. It's not easy to be handed a Dx and people manifest issues in different ways. I could not handle it without some help.

This is different than not wanting to take meds to avoid unwanted side effects.

Regardless, non-compliance is the #1 problem in treating MI. It's worth looking into.

I struggle with remembering to take my medication. It's not that I don't want to, I like that it helps me and I'm well aware of the dangers of not taking them properly but for some reason I just forget so often. I even leave my medication on my pillow so that I have to move it before bed and I still sometimes forget about it, it's sad really.

So you're not alone. 

As far as non-psych meds go, I have medication for a chronic illness that I don't even take because it just tastes gross  :closedeyes: If they made medication taste good I'd take them all the time!

I have trouble with my morning dose of buspirone, partly because I forget and party because I think "who cares," since its effects are so subtle. And then sometimes I remind myself that I have an anxiety disorder and it doesn't make sense not to take the meds as prescribed and then complain about feeling anxious. Anyway, you're not alone.

I struggle sometimes because I resent some of my meds. 

I don't resent Abilify. It keeps me sane, and took away my depression. So, I gladly take it. 

WARNING: Whining ahead.

I resent my Lamictal though. I barely see the point in taking it because it's more of an antidepressant than an anti-manic, which is what my doc prescribed it for. It either took away my hypomania or my hypomania fizzled out on it's own, I'm not sure. So...I'm not even sure it actually DOES anything. Plus, it's just ANOTHER pill to swallow, which makes me feel more crazy. 

Whining over.

Buuut, I know that the Lamictal will probably make it more likely that I can lower my Abilify one day. So, it has it's place in my cocktail. 

I also am not sure if Effexor does anything. It never did on it's own. But, Abilify interacts with Effexor to raise the blood levels of Effexor. So, we don't know if my depression lifted because of the Abilify or cause my blood levels of Effexor raised. Probably a bit of both. So, Effexor has it's place in my cocktail too, despite that I hate swallowing the brown horse pills. 

That was very long winded, but that's why I sometimes resent my meds. For the most part, I love them and will never stop taking them. But sometimes... it's just blah. 

I have long term stability and part of it is due to compliance. I do have a powerful motivator. I can't play games and just skip my meds, telling myself missing one dose will not effect anything. Missing Keppra means I could have a seizure while driving and at the least wreck the car and perhaps hurt or kill myself. Or others. I can miss a dose or so of most of the other meds without real problems. Keppra has a short half life. Having a pill box with the days dose already laid out eliminates using the excuse that I don't want to or don't feel like doling out meds.

Edited by notfred

I'm forgetful, so I have the daily pillboxes, too.  I put all my vitamins and morning meds in one, and the dinner-time ones in another.  On more than one occasion, I couldn't remember if I had taken them----so all I had to do was look at the box to see if that day's pills were still there.

I have another way of looking at it.  I'm kind of an old broad, so I have to take meds for Glaucoma and high blood pressure.  If I don't take them, I could go blind and I could seriously damage my heart, or have a stroke.  Those medications are keeping me alive and functioning, and protecting my vision.  So when I think about my antidepressant, I think about the huge change in my life that happened when I found one that works for me.

It is just as crucial to my well-being as my other medicines.  It's a medicine---I have a condition that needs to be treated, so I take a medicine for it.  I don't want that condition to ruin my life, or end it, so I just tell myself that there is no choice in this matter.  If I want to live, I have to take my meds.

olga

Generally I am very, very compliant. I watched my dad's patients quit their meds, so I already knew that was a mistake.

This past May, however, it was such a horror show with the move, that some nights I totally forgot I even had to take anything. I was using a pillbox, but I didn't always remember to open it. I was so stressed and tired, I would kind of fall into bed without any thought processes operating. I always remembered AM meds, though, because I wasn't as tired, and I take them right after I wake up. That is when I would discover I had missed the previous night's meds.

DH and I take meds at the same time, but if he misses any of his, he has seizures. So he was very good about keeping up even during the move. One day he ran out of his tri-leptal (long story), and had 3 seizures that night.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to be very med-compliant because I know how I am off of meds and never want to be like that again.

Yep. I never forget to take my meds. I know I would be dead without them. I feel grateful for them, because if I"d been born a generation or two earlier, before there were many med options, I would have spent my life psychotic in an institution. I'd be chronically inpatient and suicidal without them.  Given a scenario that stark, there's no way I'm going to pass on taking them.

As you know, people in chat can be very good at convincing you to take you meds, so bring it up there.

Edited by bookgirl

Time and experience has helped me accept, psychologically, that meds are not an option. They may not have always kept me out of hospital but they are my best bet. The risk of not taking them outweighs the risk of taking them. I have been hospitalised for stopping my lithium and an AAP cold turkey shortly after I first got diagnosed with bipolar. Perhaps that experience helped to shape my beliefs about taking pills today. I take them now without dragging myself through the mental stigma of having to swallow pills and rather with the knowledge that they contribute to my well-being. It's a simple equation for me now but one which has not come without a lot of self-reflection and, frankly, suffering.

• 1 month later...

I am med compliant now, even though I do not feel I am adequately medicated, because what I have is better than nothing, and because for a long time I was not med compliant and suffered a lot from that. 

For a long time, I didn't want to accept that I needed meds.  I felt that I could pull my shit together if I used enough will power.  I resented taking my antidepressant, and stopped and started it many times, often stopping cold turkey, which is no fun.  I would often think that the meds weren't helping, that I didn't need them, and when they were all out of my system, I would start to spiral down.  I would be completely consumed with my depression and anxiety to the point where I was skipping showers and meals, neglecting to brush my teeth, hiding out in my bedroom and researching ways to kill myself. 

Things are far from perfect, but I will take being medicated any day over the alternative. 

I struggle with med compliance, so much so that I had to switch to injections.  It's not a concious decision not to take my meds, I just don't take them.  I'm practicing med compliance right now with multi vitamins trying to build a routine.

I understand though

i'm in the same boat and went to injections. i do know how horrible life is without them...but that doesn't really seem to have much of an influence on what i do or don't do unfortunately. i'm doing similar with trying to build routines again in php. there's a medication check component about daily things that's helpful.

Edited by mellifluous