CrazyBoards.org

Manic-Want to fly to Dallas to see my old house

I think I may be manic. Med wise, we just cut back on Prolixin.

I checked airfare and it is only $500 RT and then hotel and car. I just want to take a picture of the house and see if the new owners will let me walk the grounds and spend the night in my old room.

I am on disability and dont have that much money, but I have it in savings.

Have I lost it?

You may have the money in savings, but since you are on disability it will be difficult to accumulate the savings again.  It is a BAD idea.  It would be one thing if you were already in the area, passing by to stop by your old house, but since you don't live close, I can't see how you could justify the trip unless you were just oozing with money and free time.  Plus, you don't know how the people that own the house now would react.  They may have let the house go to shit.  The might file a trespassing notice against you if you knock on their door.  Anyway, I seriously doubt they'd let you sleep in your old bedroom.

You need to keep your savings in case of an emergency.  You don't know what might happen down the road that you might need to spend the money on.  

Just my opinion.

Have you let your doctor know you might be manic?

Koakua,

I have not told him. I saw him just a few days ago and we  pulled back on prolixin, one of my antipsychotics. Last time it was reduced I became extremely paranoid but he thinks since I am not workiing it will be ok to cut back this time.

I agree with Koakua that this is not a good idea.  If you want to see what the house looks like, check it out on Google maps.  The new owners might be nice people, but they might not be, and could call the cops to take you away for trespassing.

Keep your money in the bank.  You can find out through public records who owns the house now, and you could write them a letter and ask about the house.  That gives them the option of answering, or tossing your letter in the trash.

olga

I agree that its not a good idea. Once I went back to my old house to visit and the owners did let me in. I have to say I was disappointed because it was so different. The second time we just looked from the outside (we were at a park across the street) and they had cut down a beloved tree. It was very sad. I prefer to remember things the way I lived them. Just my opinion.

i guess when you're manic your memories start taking on an almost "realistic" clarity, it's understandable that you'd want to do this. i'm not at all trying to deter you but as was mentioned, i really think you'd be dissapointed, in more ways than one..

Edited by NullChamber

Don't go.  I understand why you want to go... but using up your savings is not a good idea.     If you haven't already, check out Google maps "street view" to see the house;  I think Olga already suggested that.   That may help satisfy at least a bit of your curiosity....

Koakua,

I have not told him. I saw him just a few days ago and we  pulled back on prolixin, one of my antipsychotics. Last time it was reduced I became extremely paranoid but he thinks since I am not workiing it will be ok to cut back this time

I think you do need to speak to your pdoc.  I understand curiosity about where you lived in the past - I think many of us have that to one extent or another - but the way you want to act on that curiosity is not sensible.  As others have already said, eating into your savings for something like this is not the smartest choice to make, and assuming that the current owners would let you sleep over is not rational.  If the previous tenants of my current home stopped by I *might* let them look inside, but spend the night? Absolutely not. 

I'm very glad you posted here first as a reality check.  Please call your pdoc sooner rather than later.

After listening to everyones comments I have decided not to go.

I have plans to go there in September for my best friends daughters wedding anyway. We can drive by then and I will have people with me so I wont do anything stupid.

Nan