CrazyBoards.org

Conversation from Yesterday

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your wonderful support so far.  OCD is one hell of a monster and is so important to have such an open-minded group online that I can turn to when other people in my life aren't available (for whatever reason).

I can't emphasize enough how important it was for me to read from jonathanupr that it is most important just to go out there every day and do what you need to do no matter how bad/panicked you feel.  You just live life and prove to yourself that you can and anxiety WILL NOT HOLD YOU BACK!  (say that at least three times loudly for emphasis).  I have an upcoming planned trip to Mexico in January for six months and I was always planning on going but that really emphasized my ability to do so.  And thank goodness I'll have access to the internet there so I can check in with all of you then.

Anyways, another point jonathanupr brought up was that our thoughts are just thoughts (I have crazy, violent ones and endless what ifs) and that they will not influence us to act in any way. 

I was talking to my boyfriend yesterday (who is normally sooooo supportive) and we were talking about people who hear voices.  I was saying that my beliefs were that these people fell into the realms of psychotic/psychosis and therefore acted sometimes on what their voices told them to do b/c they had lost grip on reality.  My boyfriend was saying that these people have not necessarily lost grip on reality and can recognize that the thoughts they hear are "in their head."  I asked, "So why do people sometime act on them if they know they are not real?"  He said, "Because if you heard a voice telling you what to do for long enough then maybe you would do it, too.  Kind of like compulsions you know that they are irrational and yet you do them anyways."

Now I get freaked out really easily.  What was he saying to me?  That you can recognize abnormal thoughts and still act on them?  I feel like I recognize my obsessive thoughts and sometimes my insecurities and "What ifs" make me feel like I mgiht act on my thoughts.  But I know that I won't b/c I know that they are just obsessive.  But now, I'm thinking if these people who hear voices can recognize that the voices are just in their heads but still act on them - what if I recognize that I have obsessive thoughts but act on them anyways just b/c they're always in my head.  Who's to say I won't?  I don't feel like I would but it still is unsettling.

Anyways, I still say our anxiety can't hold us back from our dreams and we should believe that.  But this was an unsettling conversation and I'm wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Thanks again for everything!!!  You all rock!

~LunaStar

usually when they hear voices they do not realize that the voices are coming from their own head.They have lost touch with reality. With ocd you know the voices are coming from your head and that you wont react to them. I think you are safe. Have fun on your trip.

Actually you're right... I had one particular voice who told me to do things and tormented me to no end, but I knew she was inside my head. Wait.. no, scrap that, I knew her voice was coming from inside my head but I thought she herself was real. So yeah. I think you're safe as well.

Thanks xdiamond and ocd man!  Reassurance is sooooooo wonderful!  But anyone else who wants to comment, I'd much appreciate they're insight!  ;)

xdiamond - whew, sounds like you've been through a lot.  I hope you are currently doing ok.

Actually you're right... I had one particular voice who told me to do things and tormented me to no end, but I knew she was inside my head. Wait.. no, scrap that, I knew her voice was coming from inside my head but I thought she herself was real. So yeah. I think you're safe as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Additionally, one of the key features that separates OCD from psychotic disorders and nasty personality traits is that the thought content tends to be upsetting to the individual, causing great anxiety.

People with OCD are less likely to act out on their nasty thoughts than the average joe, as most people with OCD are quite sensitive and emotional.

i had a buddy that had psychotic issues.....voices were telling him to do things, such as "pull the fukking trigger!" as they had previously told him to put a gun to his head.  These voices were coming from hallucinations he was having....black demons of all shapes and sizes running around his house and his space. 

i had another buddy that had psychotic issues....one day he was driving his truck, and a voice out of nowhere came about as if from within his truck, (audibly....that is something such as a sound that one would hear if they turned on the radio to hearing ability) the voice said it was God and that he needed to go for a jaunt out in the winter wilderness (he ended up hospitalized after a week or two runnin about in icy creeks and snowy lands).

from what i know....people that say they've done things because a voice in their head told them to were either psychotic or addicts in one way or another.......

the psychotic tends to hear a voice or see something that is not there (what is known as auditory (hearing) (seeing?) hallucinations.  The reasons why they follow such a voice i really dont know, but they may feel like they are compelled to due to having to follow the voice that says it's God (divine command) or somethin they submit to. 

Addicts on the other hand, seem to fall prey to the voice in their head that urges them to cop dope when they rationally know that they really dont need to...this isnt a form of psychosis....but in a way they do have a diseased voice(mixed with an urge)  in their head that they definitely participate with and listen to as well as submit to.........though, the reason they listen to such cravings and a voice of addiction is because they have an underlying craving to get fucked up on dope....there is a desire there...

Now with OCDers there is no underlying craving, desire, motive to do that which they have come in their head...OCDers (cognitive type) do not get off on the intrusive thoughts that come into their head.  Nor have i heard any OCDer ever say there is anything to submit to or give one's will over to that are behind such intrusive thoughts....such thoughts seem to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain (such as possibly lack of serotonin, or too much dopamine...or maybe even temporal frontal lobe problems).....nothing warrants an OCDer to be labeled as psychotic, though many are unfortunately labled such or labled as having a split personality disorder (they are labled by MDs or psychologists or other individuals that definitely have no real grasp on what psychosis versus what OCD is)......I told an MD what i was going through once (i didnt know it was OCD) and he told me he thought i might kill somebody and that i may have a split personality disorder / talk about freakin me out! And he was the one that put me on the stimulant that was causing my OCD at that time! Ha! what a fickin ordeal eh?

People that listen to voices in their heads and act out upon them seem to have some kind of psychotic issue going on with them....definitely not just OCD....though, they may have OCD mixed in with a psychotic issue, which could cause such.....but believe me if you were psychotic those around you would probably notice, as would you notice something is a bit more off in your life than OCD. 

Luna I've been freaked more than once (as well) by people mentioning such instances that you wrote about; the majority of times the situation arose out of that individual's negligence to find out all the details of what they are talking about and yet they give a short version of only half the spiel of what occurred within that situation and within that individual, and such a spiel was based on falty psychological findings.  Go figure..............but ya know, it was through such situations that i learned to actually deal with such situations..

Hey all............i got out and about this weekend up to Wisconsin...yeah! it was damn decent....where as my preconceived thoughts of what it would be all about labeled it as if it wasnt going to be that great and that i may have OCD issues on the road and all....well damn, not only did i have very little issues, but i got back into my creative self ...and got in touch with my spiritual breath...mmmmmhhhmmm!

oh, and one last thing! i must say that it is necessary to distinguish between (1) a separate entity within one's head telling them to do something (separate entity as in a totally separate personality other than that individual's personality), and (2) that individual allowing themselves to coerce with a voice springing forth from that individual's voice, such as talking to oneself and fukking with oneself, or actually some people label it as "a committee in my head", though that definitely does not qualify for psychotic OCD........the majority of the population has both a lower (negative) and a higher (positive) voice within their minds on a weekly basis...though they dont panic like an OCDer does and just think nothing of it other than a mere nuisance......we as individuals (majority of the population) have the voices of people we've been close to (whether its been a healthy relationship or sick relationship) within our heads as well....such as our father's voice, or our mother's voice......our preconceived notions of what is right/wrong and how we judge things...how we react to things.....the way i've dealt with OCD in the best possible manner is by changing the way I react to the thoughts that come into my head (isnt this the core of CBT therapy? that's what i've picked up on.....that's what recovering addicts do to the core, is change the way they react to what they experience inside or outside their heads......if ya cant tell i'm a recovering addict...so much easier to deal with OCD while clean).

Archived