CrazyBoards.org

So this is an embarrassing topic for me but I want to ask if anyone else has a problem with lying. I lie...a lot. About stupid things. It's never anything major. It could be just about what I did today or something someone said to me. Usually, the lies are always based in truth, just embellished to make myself and other feel that I am more interesting or funny.

Is this part of bipolar disorder or something else....character flaw? It bothers me that I do this and I'm actively working on it. Like telling myself, just stick to the facts, Pip!

Anyone?

I think everyone does this to an extent, bipolar or not. It is good that you're working on it, keep up with that but I'm not sure it's part of bipolar or just human nature to embellish the truth as little bit.

I know I do it sometimes, probably more so when hypomanic so maybe it is a characteristic.

I agree with MusicNeverStops, this is something everyone does, bipolar or not. Music has an interesting theory though, that it could be related to hypomania. Never thought of that!

When I was younger (in my preteen/teen years lol), I used to lie all the time. The only thing that stopped me was correcting myself publicly and apologizing. I decided I didn't want to lie anymore, cause it made me feel bad. So, if a lie slipped out (like they so often do), I'd say "Hey, sorry, that wasn't true, I was embellishing a bit." No one wants to be caught in a lie, so the embarrassment of it was major incentive for me to stop. 

Edited by Parapluie

I noticed I was doing that when I was in high school probably and managed to just stop somehow. Now it isn't an issue. I mean, it's embarrassing to get caught in even the tiniest lie, for me. And it's happened before. I couldn't talk my way out of it, that's for sure.

I know a guy that I am almost POSITIVE lies about just about anything he can think of. It's annoying, but I really don't think he can help it, so I just don't say anything. Then, I'm not the kind of person to call someone out and embarrass them.

I think I might appear to be lying, because when I talk, it is always about the WORST thing, or the BEST thing, or the WEIRDEST thing, etc. I think I have always talked that way. In law, that is called "puffery" (more or less, it is a term used for resumes, mostly). Making yourself look better, as long as you don't flat out lie (i.e., use puffery instead), is considered legal.

I am pretty sure that is mostly what I do, over-emphasizing my actions, buffing up accomplishments, etc.

The only lying that I know of that might be part of BP is when you have done something when symptomatic that you'd rather not admit to. Like all the money that you might have spent. Or sleeping around. Or not being able to shower. That's the only type of lying that I'd attribute to BP. This does not seem to be the type you're talking about.

For me, lying is a BIG DEAL. I can deal with almost anything so long as I'm told the truth. For some people, it starts as little things. You'll say you picked 2 lbs of strawberries when in reality, you picked 1 lb. The problem is, as time passes, the people that mean the most to you may start not believing anything you say. They'll question everything if they know that you are lying a lot of the time. Sure, it isn't a big deal between 1 lb and 2 lbs of strawberries but if you'll fabricate about something as small as that, how can they trust you when it comes to the big things?

If you can, try to stop. If you need help with it, get some. Lying can ruin relationships. Important relationships. Get a handle on it now before it does any real damage. 

Parapluie, that made me break out in a cold sweat just thinking about telling people that I've lied. That is incredibly brave and strong thing to do.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm definitely going to work on this and talk to my therapist about it. I don't want to do it. I feel the need to be as authentic as possible.

omg I do this all the time! I dont know why I do it, either. Little stupid things. Like I'll tell interesting stories of things that happened to me (but really never happened), Or I'll present 'facts' about something even if I don't know what I'm talking about. Lately I've been trying so hard to catch myself before doing it, and be more mindful of it.

Is this what 'pathological' lier is?? If so I guess that is what I am.