CrazyBoards.org

What kind of tdoc and pdoc?

Obviously, your pdoc needs to be an MD or NP in order to prescribe. Tdoc is a little more subjective... I personally have had good experiences with LCSWs, other people prefer psychologists with their Ph.D. I would generally avoid MFT/Marriage & Family Therapists unless you're looking for couples or family therapy. 

Difrent professions, social worker, psycologist, profesional consoulor all have difrent orentations and then there are the difrent types of therapy oreintations. But make sure that who ever you chosed is lisanced by the state.

I started with my pdoc (was randomly assigned to him, it worked really really well, but he recently left), who referred me to a tdoc in the same practice. That also worked out really really well. She has a masters in Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling from our local university. She focuses on ACT. For me, it was more who I vibed with rather than their specific liscensure. I knew I wanted to not see a social worker though. I wanted to focus more on the Masters and PhD folks. Psychologists, professional counselor.

Good luck!

To be honest, I think that the experience and style of a therapist matters more than their specific degree - though I have never seen anyone with less than a Master's, and I probably wouldn't.

You could try Googling some of them to see if they have websites.  A lot of therapists do, where you can read about their orientation and get an idea of what they are like.

I wanted to mention that while social workers (MSW degree) do counseling/therapy, in my opinion, that may not be the best fit for you.  For people who have other issues along with their mental health problems (homelessness, domestic violence, hunger, etc.) a social worker can function as both a therapist and sort of a case manager.  But you're not in that sort of "life crisis" situation, if you know what I mean.  Not that your issues aren't serious; I just don't think they are social worker-type issues.  

So, if you're talking about background/education, nothing less than a masters'.  PhD is great.  And the degree should be (again, my opinion) in "counseling"; sometimes it is "counseling therapy" or "counseling psychotherapy".  I agree w/tryp's idea - often, doctors, NPs. and therapists can be found on the Internet with their background, experience, and specific interests or approaches in therapy.  Our large University-affiliated clinic even has video introductions!  

IMO, another good way to find a good therapist is to ask your general physician (internist, whoever) who he/she would recommend.  I don't know what relationship you have with  a g-doc, though.  I trust and like my internist a lot, and although it didn't exactly work that way, I would not hesitate to ask her "who would you recommend?"

GOOD LUCK.  I'm glad you're going to give therapy another try. 

My best tdoc came recommended to me by my very good pdoc. I'm on a waiting list (grrrr) for a new one and I hope he's at least half as good. I declined the offer to see a social worker immediately and asked for the waiting list because I've found the best fit with clinical psychologists. I've had problems with social workers not having the research background in different kinds of therapy for bipolar disorder. In my experience (yours may vary), social workers are more likely to have a limited background (my ex's social worker thought the green DBT workbook was only for borderline personality disorder, for instance, whereas DBT skills have been studied and found effective for bipolar disorder), whereas psychologists are more aware of and experienced in using different approaches. 

Edited by bookgirl

Thanks for all the input.  I will look for websites.  I found one, but there are many I haven't looked for online.  I'm glad for the advice on social workers.  I have seen a couple and it was definitely not a good fit.  It is definitely more about who I connect with best, but I need to narrow down the field from.  I do not have a good gp and am going to start seeing someone else, I just haven't done so yet.  I really need to make an appt with her.  I don't have a good pdoc because I am going to get a new one, but don't see her until august.  I have also decided that I am going to leave this particular clinic.

I've thought about finding a pdoc first and seeing if they know someone.  There are a lot less choices for a pdoc.  I am concerned about the right tdoc because the day my dd26 tried to sui it was after going to her tdoc and being very upset about what she was told.

Hm.  I think it's important to recognize that in addition to the training social workers (and other therapists) get with their degrees, they also have the opportunity to seek out additional training, and that's part of what makes a specific therapist unique.

While some social workers may practice more of a case-management style approach, and while their training is very good for that, many concentrate on psychotherapy of various types and have extensive training and experience in that area.

I think the most important thing is to ask the individual therapist what their training and experience is working with your type of problem, and the other most important thing is to find someone with a compatible personality.

Edited by tryp

If a social worker has a license for independent clinical practice, they are trained to be FAR more than a case manager.

Edited by Wooster

I use my GP for meds and have bounced around a couple of TDocs.  CBT has been an emergency plan to keep things "ok"   That kind of (My opinion) coping techniques.  Its a tool (for me) not a "solution"

Most therapists these days are clinical social workers (mine is), so I wouldn't write off the entire license-type.

If I were in the position of having to find a treatment team from scratch, I guess I would pick my favorite doctor and ask who they recommend. My feeling is good providers tend to refer to other good providers. If I didn't have a doctor I liked, I'm not sure what I'd do. I don't like the idea of just browsing through the insurance company's directory - anyone could be on it. But if I did have to do it that way, I'd pick the psychiatrist first and then ask for a referral to a therapist - hopefully that way I'd get a treatment team that worked together, which can be incredibly important.