CrazyBoards.org

I just saw a doctor who i think has no idea what schizophrenia/ schizoaffective is

Here are some gems from the appointment:

You're not schizophrenic because you dont have loose associations/ confused speech (not everybody does)

Your cognitive problems are ADD

Your voices talking to eachother means you probably have DID (when i said, but i dont black out, he said not everybody with DID does. he also seemed to not know that voices talking to eachother about me is a freaking schizophrenia symptom!)

There's no way you could have been hearing voices at 4 years old (sorry, but i was)

You have PTSD because someone sexually abused you as a kid, that's why you hear voices (when i said nobody did, his reply was basically "somebody did, you just dont remember", then proceeded to ask "was it your brother? an uncle? the guy down the street? someone at school?" and would not accept that i was not sexually abused as a kid.)

My parents were apparently bad parents because they didnt take me to a psychiatrist as a kid

That im just delusional, i think im hearing voices but it's just my own thoughts (he couldnt believe that i think the voices are real, because they ARE real to me, he kept saying "well you must know you're not the bad person the voices say you are"). No, i dont think about killing my family members, thank you very much.

I've seen real psychosis, with people eating feces and smearing feces on the wall, you're more normal than you think (basically, im lying or faking is what he was saying)

There was more than that, but that's some of the major things he said.

I am reporting that quack to someone, not sure who yet, and i am NEVER setting foot in his office again. 

Edited by esmereldaskysurfer

gosh, he sounds dangerous

those assumptions - telling you that you must have been sexually abused

leading you instead of asking open ended questions

very disturbing

if he is  a pdoc report him to your state AMA organization

if he is a psychologist they have a different licensing org - state based

Wow what an idiot!  That takes talent to unleash so much stupidity about schizophrenia/schizoaffective in one appointment,  

I'm glad you're going to report him to someone, and I'm even more glad that you're never setting foot in his office again.  That's just... wow.  I'm sorry you had to put up with that bullshit. 

i'm sorry about that, its always irritating when the person oyu are going to for help doesn't even listen to you or respect you. he doesn't seem ethically sound, especially not insisting that you were sexually abused :/ I hate therapists who are so stuck in their way that no one' perspective matters as much as their ego does.

my therapist said the same thing at first, told me that I was textbook complex PTSD and he also said the thing about schizophrenia/psychosis being an unmistakable thing. my psychiatrist before him said that I wasn't bipolar because he's seen manics run naked through the middle of Compton and I don't do that. over the weeks he recanted his initial impression and sent me to someone else for a second opinion though, which I think your therapist should have done. he says I present myself as the opposite of what I am and that although I don't think i am jesus I am still delusioal but in other ways and it looks different than the stereotype and I learned ways to cover it up. it really bothers me when people neglect the fact that symptoms manifest differently and sometimes you'll get an atypical presentation that falls through the cracks. I know I have an eating disorder for instance, but I've been told that i don't because I don't count calories/discrepancies like that. I've even been told that if I was actually anorexic I wouldn't have insight! People get stuck on discrepancies and forget that the person is still suffering from the same symptoms....

(insisting on sexual abuse really bothers me....i still can't believe he was so rude about that!)

(insisting on sexual abuse really bothers me....i still can't believe he was so rude about that!)

Same here, it bothers me and can't believe he insisted that much on it! Honestly, if a psychiatrist insists so much on sexual abuse without me giving any indications that it might be true I would probably punch him in the face. Not only it is insulting, idiotic and unprofessional to do so but even dangerous, what if I am slightly psychotic at the moment and end up over-thinking what he says? I could imagine I could end up believing it to be true, as in hold it as a delusion.

The part about psychotics eating feces is equally enraging... I've been psychotic and as horrible as it is, no, I didn't do that. I am sure there are different ways of being psychotic (both in outer appearance and degree of mental/social/cognitive disruption). A person can be psychotic and appear somewhat normal to others, I know it from experience.

I'll just stop here 'cause this is p*ssing me off!

Please do report him.

Yes, he needs to be reported! I saw a nurse practicioner once, with GREAT reveiws online (I think she must have written them herself), who was lacking basic knowledge and was extremely condescending. She was, truly, an idiot. It is scary to come out of an appointment like that.

He's probably an idiot and an asshole but are you considering the tiny possibility that he might be right?   I wouldn't discount it completely. 

If you've been treated for something for years and not gotten any better, it's worth considering that the diagnosis might be wrong.

He's probably an idiot and an asshole but are you considering the tiny possibility that he might be right?   I wouldn't discount it completely. .

If you've been treated for something for years and not gotten any better, it's worth considering that the diagnosis might be wrong.

Except I HAVE gotten better. Not 100%, but I'm heaps better than I was 2 years ago.

He's probably an idiot and an asshole but are you considering the tiny possibility that he might be right?   I wouldn't discount it completely. .

Except I HAVE gotten better. Not 100%, but I'm heaps better than I was 2 years ago.

i'm really glad to hear it :)  yes like everyone has already said a thousand times REPORT him ,  i can not believe someone would be so pig-headed .  i had a similar experience when the first psychiatrist i ever went to said that i had been 'reading too many stupid psychology books' and had 'no idea what i'm talking about' because i wasn't a licensed professional .   big-headed high-horsers ... a classic.