CrazyBoards.org

Too scared do to what I need to do

I truly cannot find the courage to find a tdoc and want to go see her. I have been searching for months for one since i that has been deployed and came back

....'that gets the fear . I go group with other veterans but I do need a therapist

My doc is super but can only see me 20 minutes a month.

I hate going to the VA and waiting for hours to be seen when there are so much people worse than I am.I want October to be here and to be over if I can just last through. That is when my son is getting married

I cannot decide if this is depression or the PTSD but I freeze every time I look at the BC/ BS page for types of therapy available. I am hoping to find a tdoc with military background

I am giving away my china and older things of value.

I don't know how to get better

I am sorry you are having such a hard time getting started with therapy - I know the idea can be really daunting.

It's okay not to know how to get better.  Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean that you can't, or that you won't.

I like Savannah's idea about trying to get a referral to someone with the right background.  I think it makes total sense that you want to find someone that you can open up to, knowing that they will be able to make sense of where you are coming from.

Please hold on.  I know it's frustrating trying to navigate the health care system and get what you need, but things can get better for you.

Do you not want to go to the VA because of the waiting OR because there are people who are worse whose space you don't want to take? I live near a huge military base and know that the network b/t the private sector and military sector is tight -- could you (and would you feel less anxiety) making one VA appointment two whomever they assign you to, explaining what you have just explained here, and see if you can get a referral or some suggestions since your need may not be as great as their average roster? Maybe unconventional, but psychiatry is a small world.

As far as money, I've been able to negotiate fees by a pretty decent margin with two private tdocs on different occasions with frank discussion. A lot of them are good people who really do want to make it work for you. So, don't sell all your china yet.

Getting started on therapy can be a scary, overwhelming thing. It's so good that you recognize the fact that you need to, though. That's the first step! I suffer from anxiety disorder, and when I face a task that seems just too damn scary and overwhelming and hard to deal with, I break it up into smaller tasks. Maybe set goals, smaller steps that will get you to where you need to be? For instance, (just an example, not telling you what to do) you could say to yourself, "Self, tomorrow, we are going to spend one hour researching ptsd therapists in this area. I'm going to narrow it down to 4 that sound interesting or compatible. Then I'm going to make a list of those 4. That's it. Done!" Then on day 2, make a list of questions you want to ask when you call the therapists offices. (Do you have experience dealing with military-related ptsd? How long have you been in your current practice? What methods do you favor for treatment? Do you immediately prescribe meds or do cognitive/behavior therapies first?)  On day 3, call one or two of the therapists and ask the questions you come up with. Once you've called them all, narrow your list down. Etc, etc...you could come up with an entirely different plan of action. Everything I list is just an example to illustrate what I do when I feel overwhelmed. I break it down into smaller tasks which feel much more manageable. Know what I mean? Hope everything goes the way you need it to go and that you find someone who you feel comfortable with. Also, thank you for your service. Sincerely.

Scramblehead, could you give me a source for "guard dogs" as therapy for vets?

Do you mean service dogs? Because service dogs are an effective pstd intervention that is happening more frequently for both combat and non-combat ptsd. 

But a service dog is not and cannot be a guard dog. Those jobs are incompatible.