CrazyBoards.org

Ladymaid, if you're in immediate danger, please go to your ER or somewhere where you can be safe and receive medical help.

Even if you're not in immediate danger, please get in contact with your pdoc or whoever you can. You clearly are in need of some help.

Thinking of you. Be safe.

Do you have a plan? Are you a danger to yourself? If so, go to the ER. If it's not so immediate, you should call your pdoc or tdoc and work out what you should do if things get worse. 

Sometimes I get crap like that stuck in my head. It doesn't mean that I'm going to do it, it means that it's stuck in my head and I can't get it out. I have to distract myself. I don't know if you have things that you know work for you but for me, it's things like physical activity. I mean, how can you think about suicide when you're sweating like crazy and digging a hole, in dirt as hard as concrete. for a flowering bush?  I know it's possible but maybe you see what I mean. Mental activity doesn't do it for me--my mind will wander back to the unpleasant topic. It takes physical activity. 

I hope you find something that works to make you feel better.

...Or you can go to the ER right away and analyze how you feel later, when you are better.

Now is the time to keep it very, very simple.

Go to the ER, or call 911.

Now is the time to go to the ER? Great advice for what, 13 hours after it was asked? Genius.

People can be suicidal longer than an hour. Yeah, if still alive, go to the ER, to be blunt.

And what is your damage, other than that I have somehow embarrassed you in the past, calling me "genius" sarcastically. You are totally abusing your admin status.

I was trying to help. That is plain to see.

Go ahead, respond then lock the topic. When this was about someone needing help.

Edited by goldfish

People can be suicidal longer than an hour. Yeah, if still alive, go to the ER, to be blunt.

Yeah. And the sun can come up and they can feel better and maybe want to make plans for when/if this happens again. Maybe they'd like suggestions other than the routine "go to the ER" answer. "Go to the ER" is not always the correct decision. If you are a danger to yourself or others, then yes, "go to the ER" is the correct decision. If you are sitting at home and ruminating about writing a suicide note, then maybe "go to the ER" is the right decision and maybe it isn't. 

Everyone else on the thread gave the exact same advice about the ER. "I think all the others here agree with me."

This is REALLY not worthy of an admin. Your response to the OP, and your response to me now.

And are you saying that you are qualified to say when go to the ER is NOT the right thing to say to someone suicidal? Isn't that against all rules of the board, as well as a  dangerous thing to say?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a flowering bush to plant.

Edited by goldfish

I disagree that ER is ALWAYS what's required...

Also, syl DID clearly say:

Do you have a plan? Are you a danger to yourself? If so, go to the ER. If it's not so immediate, you should call your pdoc or tdoc and work out what you should do if things get worse. 

If someone has a plan and can't dismantle it, or is so impulsive that they can't stay safe long enough to get to the ER, then THAT'S the time to call 911.

If you have a plan and you can't dismantle it, but you can stay safe long enough to get yourself to the ER, that's a good deal... get to the ER.

If you have suicidal thoughts, but no plan and/or you have a previous relationship with a team of care providers... it's a much better idea to bring those symptoms to the people know you best.

ER/911 is for immediate safety concerns... specifically 911 if you can't transport yourself there safely.

If you're used to having suicidal thoughts as a symptom, or if they are not unusual for you, it's perfectly appropriate to NOT PANIC, do things to distract oneself until the next available appointment with care team.

Since this is clearly turning into something else, I'd like to return this thread back to the OP's topic of asking for help.

How are things looking today, Ladymaid? Were you able to come up with a plan to keep yourself safe?

Edited by Wooster

I would just like to point out that sylvan did VERY CLEARLY say that if there was a plan or if the person felt that they were unsafe, the ER is the appropriate place.

However, suicidality, even to the point of writing a note, is a spectrum.  I can only speak for myself, but I have many times felt suicidal enough to write a note, but been more in need of a listening ear and coping suggestions than a one way ticket to the hospital.

I know that goldfish will be unable to take this on board, because they have proven time and again that they have no desire to listen to anyone other than themselves, but I would like the rest of the board to know that sylvan, and the rest of us, take everyone's safety and our work here very seriously and responsibly.

Ladymaid, I hope you come back to check in with us.  I would like to know how you are doing.  Hoping you are safe and feeling a little better.

Thank you everyone, for all the comments. I did go to the E.R., but by the time I got there (I walked) I was calm enough to stick it out until the appointment with my pdoc that I had this morning. Turns out I'm going to end up in the hospital anyway . . . :( But really, thank you. I might not be so lucky next time, and it's this kind of support that could save my life if that happens.

Thank you everyone, for all the comments. I did go to the E.R., but by the time I got there (I walked) I was calm enough to stick it out until the appointment with my pdoc that I had this morning. Turns out I'm going to end up in the hospital anyway . . . :( But really, thank you. I might not be so lucky next time, and it's this kind of support that could save my life if that happens.

I'm so glad that you're okay and made it safely through the night. Thanks so much for letting us know. 

I hope you get the help that you need.

I am just now reading this thread and I truly hope the op is OK and has checked back in with someone. Many times I had the note I had given away possessions and I had timing and I was waiting for one or more things to happen

I am grateful my family saw these things and insistent that I get help right away

One thing that helps me is thinking of suicide as a permanent solution for a temporary problem. The other thing that helps me is a great friend and sarcastic person said " if you want to commit suicide move to California ... It accomplishes the same things and you can change your mind"

I hope that you are feeling better

There are many post here that are helpful that discuss resources that can help you if you are suicidal

The other thing that helps me is a great friend and sarcastic person said " if you want to commit suicide move to California ... It accomplishes the same things and you can change your mind"

LOL. I LOVE that. Never heard it before but it's perfect.