CrazyBoards.org

I take seroquel and I found out recently that it contains lactose, I asked my pdoc where it came from and she said she didn't know. I assume it's from animal sources and that makes me feel guilty. Animals suffer for that and I shouldn't contribute to that. I know my pdoc won't accept this as a valid reason to stop. I don't want to cause suffering just because i want to take pills. I don't judge any one else's decisions regarding diet, but this is how I feel about my own diet. I just want to stop. I should just deal without it.

Lactose is sourced from milk. Are you vegan or vegetarian? I'm a lacto-vegetarian (eat dairy products), so it's acceptable for me.  I do understand where you're coming from, and I don't really have a solution (I hope nobody here just tells you to get over it)... this is a difficult area for those of us who have these dietary beliefs.

eta I am worried that you said "I should just deal without it" .... please don't just stop the med cold turkey, especially because you're on a fairly high dose.  Research other options and take them to your pdoc.

Edited by miab

I'm not sure what to tell you.  I understand your concern.  However, if you think about the size of the pill, and the amount of lactose that is in the pills, it basically minuscule.  Milligrams, or less.  It is not like you're enslaving hundreds of cows for your pills... It would take you quite a while of taking the Seroquel for it to even amount to one glass of milk.  That being said, I wish your doctor would take your concern more seriously... I agree with miab that you shouldn't stop taking the seroquel without supervision. 

I appreciate your concern, and I admire that you want to act in ways that are in keeping with your ethics.

In my years as a vegetarian, I sometimes encountered situations in which I ended up consuming animal products unknowingly.  In those instances, I would take some time to meditate/reflect on the animal's life and feel grateful for its place in the universe, and that really helped me with feelings of guilt and sadness.  I'm not supposing that this would work well for you, of course.  Just sharing.

I don't want to cause suffering just because i want to take pills. I don't judge any one else's decisions regarding diet, but this is how I feel about my own diet. I just want to stop. I should just deal without it.

I hear you. I'm a strict vegan (I don't even eat birthday cake once a year) and my lamictal has lactose and gelatin. I finally decided it is a tiny amount, and I'm still following my ethics in my diet otherwise and that I would make that exception. It's not consuming animal products for my gratification, but because I need it to survive. It's a rationalization I finally had no trouble making, but it's a hard one that everyone must make for themselves.

I really like the thoughtful responses you've received here from everyone.  Especially this comment from goldfish:

It's not consuming animal products for my gratification, but because I need it to survive. It's a rationalization I finally had no trouble making, but it's a hard one that everyone must make for themselves.

Personally, I struggle at times with the fact that I eat dairy, but I'm 40 and have osteoporosis in my near future (it's genetic, and I already have osteopenia, which is its precursor).   Although I take calcium supplements, it's still not enough for my needs.  I get round this by buying products exclusively from free range, cruelty-free farms, which are more expensive (in my country, in any case) but worth it for my peace of mind. I also never touch cheese that contains animal rennet.  I'm glad that koakua made the point that the lactose in the tablets is a miniscule amount.  I would like to think that my support of the free range farms offsets what I'm consuming in my medication.  And frankly, without my meds, I would be dead - no doubt about that.

But to paraphrase goldfish, this is something we all have to weigh up and come to terms with for ourselves.  Keep talking it through with us here, if it helps.

I did some online searching and found repeated references to this article:

Vegetarian Psychotropics: A survey of psychotropic medications suitable for vegetarians

Author(s)   Ramplin S, McAllister-Williams RH

Publication type    Letter

Journal   Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental

Year   2009

Volume   24

Issue   3

Pages   248-249

ISSN (print)   0885-6222

ISSN (electronic)   1099-1077

You're a university student, right?  See if you can access this via the e-journals at the university library.  I tried to get in via my university staff login, but it wouldn't let me in - possibly because my field is humanities rather than health sciences/medicine and they're quite strict with who gets access to the journals.  

Obviously I have no idea if the article is any good, but I'm worried about you and thought it might give you a place to start.

Edited by miab

I think that taking something for health reasons is not selfish. It's survival. We need food to survive, yes, but we have choices in the foods we take in. We don't always have choice in the medications we take, especially mental meds. If the Seroquel is working for you, stay with it and honor the cows who gave you such a gift.

Not trying to throw a spanner in the works, but if you are vegetarian/vegan etc, what are your views about the ethics behind the creation and development of your medications in the first place due to how they are tested on animals? My partner is vegan but is very much of the mindset that there are certain things that are completely outwith your control, and if taking medication is the only way of being stable, then it's an unfortunate evil that they must come to terms with :(