CrazyBoards.org

Feeding Yourself Whilst Overwhelmed

This started out as a blog post, so my apologies in advance if it's a little bit vague.

Hopefully some folks who saw it in blogland will know what I'm talking about and can help out.

I'm currently overwhelmed with life stuff, and the idea of making food is beyond me. Yet I don't want to be eating out all the time (nor do I have the time, nor funds). So what are some things that I can keep around me to eat quickly, or easily, or with a minimum of fuss?

Thus far I'm at:

• canned soup
  • gnocchi
  • frozen pizza
  • microwavable frozen meal things
  • fruit cups
  • apples
  • granola bars
  • cereal and milk

I do like peanut butter, but am currently out of bread. I suppose that sliced bread works in the freezer, so maybe I should get a loaf of that.

Anything else? What do you like?

Most fruits would be really good, bananas, pears, peaches, plums etc. Those are easy to grab and go. Same with veggies, you can buy broccoli florets pre-cut and munch on those. Baby carrots are delicious by themselves without dip. 

Also, yogurt topped with raspberries or blueberries for extra yumminess and to fill you up. 

Yogurt cups would be good in general, if you aren't lactose intolerant. 

Toast, with jam or peanut butter. 

Pizza pockets, like pizza pops. Kinda unappealing, but they're quick and filling. 

Also, is it possible to have SO do some cooking and then freeze it? So that you can have something to just warm up and go, like chili or casseroles?

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll post again if I think of more. 

I have a very hard time eating when depressed. I get around it by making smoothies, pesto I keep in the fridge for up to a week or so (of course, you can also freeze it.) banana or apple with peanut butter, yogurt,handfuls of almonds, instant oatmeal. Hope these ideas help.

If you can buy some hummus in the refrigerator section of your supermarket, it's filling and nutritious.  You can dip carrots and other veggies into it, spread it on crackers, or eat it with pita bread.

You can buy pita bread in most supermarkets.  Keep it in the freezer and take one out at a time when you want to eat.  Break it in half and toast it.  Then you can put scrambled eggs in the pocket, or peanut butter, or sliced turkey, or whatever is appealing to you

If your SO could boil some eggs for you, they can be chilled and kept in the fridge.  It's easy to peel one and it's a filling snack with lots of protein, iron and vitamins.

olga

So, I did not do this today which was a mistake, but I try to drink smoothies because I do not like to eat vegetables.

I put in spinach, kale, broccoli, a banana, blueberries, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a bit of soy protein.

I add water and blend that really well.  It doesn't taste extra great because I don't try to make it sweet but it makes me feel much better.

I'll do that for lunch 3 or 4 times a week.

The point for me is that it takes about 5 minutes to do.  

But, you do need to add solid meals in the day also.  Oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast for example.

I go for speed in the preparation because I have no patience for cooking.  Scrabbled eggs is about the most I'll do.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is another favorite.  You have a pretty good list w/ fruit cups, apples, granola bars.

Hope you get to feeling better.

Having nuts and Greek yogurt (high in protein) on hand are big for me.  Also peanut butter, even if it is just a spoonful of it (plain, no crackers or anything).  Fruit too, especially apples and any types of berries that are reasonably priced.

Edited by melissaw72

Sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed :(  Hope the work stuff gets back to some sane level soon.

Instant or near-instant foods I often keep at work:

instant oatmeal packets (plus fruit if I have it)

canned soup... LOTS of canned soup

frozen burritos

peanut butter (or nutella!) on crackers, bananas, or apple slices

nut & dried fruit packets

hummus on pretty much anything crunchy

boiled eggs (I cut them in quarters and drizzle soy sauce on the yolks)

applesauce cups

yogurt cups and fruit

tiny regular potatoes or sweet potatoes that can be microwaved

tunafish and packaged salad greens wrapped in a small tortilla

There is a one minute boil, overnight soak recipe for Steel Cut Oats. NOT instant or 5 minute, but the one that claims it takes 45 minutes to make, except when you do it this way:

Boil 4 cups of water, dump in one cup oatmeal, stir for a minute, cover it, and stick it in the refrigerator overnight. Heat through the next day. I usually reheat it on the stove for the first time, and microwave portions of it thereafter, but you could probably just microwave it, since I think they are just really telling you to heat it all the way through.

Even if you don't like "normal" oatmeal, if you haven't tried Steel Cut Oats, you might want to try it at a restaurant or someplace, it is a whole different animal. I love this oatmeal. Love. I have a cooking pot dedicated to it, and make it once every couple of weeks. It makes 4 or 5 portions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...