CrazyBoards.org

Reading fewer activism pages for my sanity

I think I may have to prune some of the animal rescue stuff out of my Facebook feed and daily reading.  Not delete but just hide from my newsfeed.  I love animals more than anything but I can't give them a home (despite fighting valiantly to be able to) and I can't donate toward their rescue because I can't even pay my own bills.  It's a shitty state to be in, but it's where I am right now.  And seeing all these kill-shelter dogs in mortal danger every day is killing me and making me stress.  I hate to "shut my eyes" to a problem, and I know the problem is still there, but I need a break.  I need to start creating a safer emotional space in my daily life.

i understand.  i do this too, so i'm not feeling constantly guilty for not being able to help.  i take it too personally, like my money or my time would eradicate world hunger, and it's my fault that people are starving while i get to eat healthy food.  all i can do is keep sending my 35 bucks a month, but it's never enough, and that's only one issue i care about... so i have to just stop paying attention for awhile.  hell, most of the time i don't watch the news for the same reasons.  i can't handle the awfulness of the world around me.  i need to see the good things so i can remember why i keep fighting to stay alive.

I sympathize, sixteenshells.  I hardly pay attention to the news any more because so much of it distresses me.  I won't be much help in organizing or even stuffing envelopes if I am awake half the night from sad or traumatic news like cruelty and hoarding cases.  The world is so messed up that even if you're wealthier than Bill Gates you can't fix it all, so trying to find that balance between doing something--every little thing and every dollar helps, of course--and keeping your health from taking too much of a hit is really hard.  

A couple of years ago I made a very conscious decision to cut out most news and "news type things" because all I would do was get anxious and/or worked up about stuff over which I had no control.

It's helped a LOT to cut down traffic and be more deliberate about what I invite into my reading space.

Many things on the internet (even well intentioned things) are designed to elicit a visceral emotional response.  This isn't an accident and when we are at a particularly vulnerable point emotionally, it is healthy to back off of groups who use these tactics until we are better off.

I've kept the more positive rescue pages where it's all about showcasing dogs they've saved and are caring for, those are great.  I put a moratorium on the pages that do lots of crossposting of death-row dogs because I literally break down every time I see one that wasn't saved.  One day I'll be able to do more for animals than just volunteer at the SPCA, but until then I'm trying to keep it positive.