CrazyBoards.org

TRAZADONE - News, Reviews and Questions

Guest Guest_bubeezlee_*

Guest Guest_bubeezlee_*

hi all

i recently went to a new pdoc and was given a 'trial' prescription for trazadone and want to know more about it (other than it is an anti depressent also used for sleep)

Guest Guest_bubeezlee_*

Here's some good info:

http://crazymeds.us/desyrel.html

I found it to be too sedating (even when used for sleep). But it's a good choice for a lot of people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i already read throught at page but i main point for my posting was to get personal info, on how it worked on different people.

i am used to taking ambien, its effects are burnin out on me, and i took a trazadone last night and it made really groggy all morning. i was shaking my hands really bad, so i took some ativan and now the whole day was been a big blur.

It worked for me for a while when my insomnia was in one of its minor phases, but it doesn't work for me now. But its really good for people who have regular insomnia and are on one of their first "trials" of treatment. Get you sleep hygene down and take your traz regularly and it can work.

Good luck

I found Traz way too strong...switched after trying 15 mg of Ambien wasn't working, also tried Sonata which was better for a short plane flight.  I found Remeron was good without being groggy the whole day like Traz.

Not to try to put a downer on trazodone, but I've had some pretty annoying side effects. I take 50mg of trazodone every night, and for the first week I had some very vivid nightmares. They were so unsettling that I would wake up with my heart trying to jump out of my chest. This would happen two or three times during the night. I also wake up with a banging headache on most mornings. I am always groggy throughout the day as well. Will trazodone put me to sleep? Yes, it knocks me out like a ton of bricks, but I pay a price for it.

Guest Guest_bubeezlee_*

thanks for the info people. after trying it the second night, i had a headache, overslept my alarm, had a hard time keeping my balance, and i also felt like i was tripping (you know how when u take ambien but dont go to bed right away because it takes a while to kick in so you sit on the computer and stare at the way things move).....yeah it was like that. it was like i couldnt keep my eyes focused. i dont know if i can take this during the week but its probably a good weekend sleep med. traz is on probation right now...ill give it a try at least.

i got the vivid nightmares with trazodone, but they are worse with seroquel (which i'm now on). the trazodone was okay for knocking me out but it wasn't super great for it. if i was upset about something it wouldn't work that well. seroquel has proven to be a more effective knock out drug for me. plus it treats my anxiety which trazodone didn't even touch.

all in all it was a pretty good knock out but didn't do a whole lot for my anxiety or depression. seroquel has helped much more.

grouse.

all in all it was a pretty good knock out but didn't do a whole lot for my anxiety or depression. seroquel has helped much more.

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats weird because traz is an antidepressent...one would assume it would help with that? maybe thats why my pdoc put me on it...i was doing fine with ambien

btw...im not an unregistered guest! i forgot i am a member.

thanks for the info people. after trying it the second night, i had a headache, overslept my alarm, had a hard time keeping my balance, and i also felt like i was tripping (you know how when u take ambien but dont go to bed right away because it takes a while to kick in so you sit on the computer and stare at the way things move).....yeah it was like that. it was like i couldnt keep my eyes focused. i dont know if i can take this during the week but its probably a good weekend sleep med. traz is on probation right now...ill give it a try at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, NO!!!

DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT POP ANY MORE OF THESE.

It took me over a year, but I eventually had what sounds like the same type of reactions to trazadone (150mg/night)  w/ 100mg zoloft and 20mg buspar a day. A little experimentation made it deadly clear that these symptoms were in direct connection to trazadone.  Like if I went to a movie the day after taking it and came outside while it was still light, I had those afterimages and haloes you're talking about. I also had serious respiratory problems, begging my friend to slow down after getting off the tram because I couldn't get the oxygen to catch up (Up till then I ran a 25:00 5k) . 

When I got back (I'd been living in Krakow) I did some research and a lot of these symptoms matched those of serotonin syndrome,  as the matched the drugs involved. Obviously it wasn't SS, because that requires immediate medical treatment to even have the chance of being reversable, but my instincts will say to you now what they said to me then:

THIS WAY LIES SEROTONIN SYNDROME.* 

QUIT TAKING THESE NOW!

Report this symptoms to your doc, and if he's too much of a quack to replace the traz, ask for a referall to another quack or possibly even a neurologist. 

*Or maybe we're the only two people on earth who have ever had this subset of symptoms, so it's not popular enough to name yet.

Hmmm....I don't take trazadone but my father does. He had a pretty hard time adjusting to it - loopy and stoned for the first two months on it - but he's taken it for about a year now without the side effects. He takes it at night and is out for the whole night - no nightmares! yay! - and no longer needs to take an afternoon 'nap.' (He used to sleep for four hours in the afternoon - a little long for a nap.)

Check with your doc, though; those effects sound serious.

• 2 weeks later...

Its really interesting how meds are different for everyone.  I was put on 50mg of traz 1.5 years ago.  It knocked me out and I woke up with no grogginess.  But I'm also a true believer in getting at least 7.5 hours or more of sleep.  Sometimes I'd take 25mg or 50mg just depended how tired I was.  I really think the vivid dreams for Traz happen when combined with other drugs.

When I started taking Cymbalta I was already taking the traz with no vivid dreams.  Once the Cymbalta kicked in I started to have them.  I have since upped to 90mg Cymbalta and 300mg WB.  I now have to take 75mg every night.  I tried taking 100mg and I was way too groggy so I went back down.  75mg is my lucky number.

I also tried Traz with Prozac and WB and had no issues with vivid dreaming at all.

Since I upped my WB to 300mg I've been having the vivid dreams again.  At least every other week I'll have a dream so vivid I feel that it must be real life.  I have woken up quite a few times with tears already rolling down my face.  And for the 1st few days of this week I woke up cold b/c I was sweating over night.  Now thats weird.  BUt we all know that insomnia can come from any of these meds.  It doesn't bother me so much anymore.  The vivid dreams are pretty cool unless I wake up crying.  Its like you're getting more time to actually live life lol

• 1 month later...

I went to the pdoc yesterday and told him I needed something to help me sleep.  I am exhausted...  I already take 225mg of Effexor and birth control pills.  I have tried:  ambien - didn't do much, I still had non-stop thoughts keeping me awake; rozerem - no effect at all; and lunesta - the aftertaste made me nauseated and puke-burpy; trazedone - at the time I first took it, I was freaked because it made me feel stoned but I'm not so freaky about feeling like that any more.  I've also tried melatonin, valerian, calmes forte, benadryl, sometimes all at the same time!  I have taken xanax for 15 years (except during two pregnancies and nursing each for 15 - 16 months), the past 4 or 5 was taking only at night, .5 - 1.0 mg, to try and help me sleep.  I've not been taking it often at all the past 6 months or so.  During this same time (the past 4 - 5 years), I have been taking daily naps (mostly dozing - not restorative sleep), started out as an hour, then lasting several hours, now, it's mostly all day.  If I don't have to go anyplace, I stay in my jammies all day - sometimes 2 + days in a row.

Back to yesterday's appointment....  after we went through what I've tried so far, doc asked me what I wanted.  I asked him for suggestions, but he knows that I research stuff before I come see him, so he knew I had something in mind.  I told him I'd like to try trazodone again (seroquel was my other thought), that I'd tried it before, it made me stoned and I'd like to try it again.  He gave me a script for 100mg, 1 or 2 a night, and said to split them and start at /2 or 1/4 a pill, whatever I wanted.  :-) 

Last night I took 1/4 a pill (25mg), I laid awake for several hours (gave myself a headache trying to force myself to sleep) and then just dozed the rest of the night but, whenever I woke up, I was completely drenched in sweat!  The sheets were soaked, my pj's were soaked top to bottom, my pillow was soaked, my hair was soaked, my fingers were wrinkled like they'd been in water too long!  I want to know, what the fuck is up with that??  Was it a fluke because the weather's been warmer lately?  Was it the trazodone?  I don't remember this from before, but I've gained a lot of weight since then.  A combination of the two?  Does anyone have a guess?  It also happened today during my "nap"....  I'm feeling quite gross right now... gonna go shower...  planning on taking 50mg tonight....

planning on taking 50mg tonight....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't take the 50mg Thursday night because by the time I thought about going to bed, it was too late.  Last night, Friday, I'd been drinking so I didn't take one then.  I just took one tonight.  Doesn't matter how late I sleep in since it's Sunday morning.  I'll post how I do with the sweats.

So, how did it go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, inquiring minds want to know Paintlady

I am laying here with a couple of trazadones staring at me, but I am afraid to take them...already took 1.25 Xanax's about one hour ago. I refuse to watch stupid tv again tonight. But, if its 2 am again this evening and I can't drift off, I might want to try them. I just want to sleep through the night. No plans for the am.

S

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno, Paintlady, but maybe you should at least experiment raising your traz dose to 150mg (as I personally take it).  And BTW, order these in 50mg pills, with your pdoc instructing you to take 2-3/night (to avoid insurance issues and let those suckers know it's only a 30 day supply!!).  The 50mg pills are way superior to the 100s/150s, as those higher doses are uncoated and are goddamn horse pills... well, adding gagging to the injury.  And you know what's f'ed up??? The 50mg pills are well-coated AND tiny!!! Strange world this is.

If that doesn't work/makes sweating worse, then, well... err I don't know... from my personal experiences, at least.

Trazodone is known to increase the intensity (but not always proportion) of REM sleep and simultaneously increase the proportion of deep sleep.  Intense REM sleep (including vivid dreams and/or nightmares) is known to cause tons of sweating, as well as undesirable nocturnal awakening.  That's the reason I can't take the 300mg of traz it really takes to knock me out in <30 min!

Trazodone is also a potent antidepressant (mild SSRI activity and also blocks undesirable 5HT/serotonin receptors that SSRIs can aggravate, causing anxiety, so watch out for potential BP aggravation in combination with the real SSRIs).

---herrfous, archetypal Trazodone freak and believer

So, how did it go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, inquiring minds want to know Paintlady

I am laying here with a couple of trazadones staring at me, but I am afraid to take them...already took 1.25 Xanax's about one hour ago. I refuse to watch stupid tv again tonight. But, if its 2 am again this evening and I can't drift off, I might want to try them. I just want to sleep through the night. No plans for the am.

S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 50mg didn't make me sweat as bad as that first 25mg.  I tried 50mg a few nights and it didn't make me sleepy at all.  I finally went to 100mg and it put me in a-fib.  My heart started pounding, I could feel it in every part of my body, my throat, my ears, even my fingertips!  It didn't stop for about an hour.  I laid there thinking I was going to DIE in my sleep because of that dumb pill!  I could barely move my arms and legs.  Just walking up the stairs made my heart beat twice as fast as usual.  But, the 100mg didn't make me sleepy either! 

I'm still exhausted but can't sleep through the night.... ;)

OMG!  That freakin' AWFUL!! 

I'm so sorry you are having such a crappy trip with the trazadone.  I have a bottle in the closet and will take a baby dose on occasion for sleep.  It knocks me on my butt for a good 12-14 hours and leaves me with a pretty bad haze the next day.

Is your doctor giving you any other options?  Exhaustion and a-fib can't possibly be good for you.  I hope you find a solution soon.

Big hugs!!

Archived