CrazyBoards.org

Psychotic Experiences vs Psychotic Illness?

I've been told I don't have a psychotic illness, just psychotic experiences. Something to do with the fact that I have periods of time when I'm completely well. My mood episodes are an illness and I take medication for those but I should see a psychologist for the voices and the thought insertion etc. Does this make sense? I feel very confused right now. The waiting list for a psychologist is months long and I'm really struggling with my thoughts at the moment, not knowing what is true and what isn't, and I don't have anyone to talk to about it.

Edited by Chaos

I don't really know what the difference is either, between psychotic experiences and a true psychotic illness. I have a psychotic illness, yet I go through periods of being well, when I'm on meds. Without meds though I'm basically psychotic 100% of the time, just with varying intensity. 

Feel free to talk about your voices, thought insertions, etc here. :) Or, you may want to start a blog. There is a lot of support in Blogland. 

I understand where you're coming from, perhaps a little.  I have been psychotic only a few times and have had periods of years between psychotic episodes, sometimes unmedicated.  I'm not sure if I have a psychotic illness or if I've just had a few psychotic episodes.  

For me, I currently take an antipsychotic as a precaution... Plus it is good to have on hand in case your psychosis gets worse, so you can take more to stop it.  

If you are not on an antipsychotic you should talk to your doctor about being on one, as it sounds like psychosis is interfering with your life.

i have psychotic episodes and i'm classified as having a psychotic illness. i take medication to lower the frequency of the episodes. i also see a therapist weekly, not just for psychosis, but other issues as well. I do talk about my voices and hallucinations and I find it helpful. Good luck.