CrazyBoards.org

Experiences with Risperdal (Risperidone)?

Hello, everyone.

What are your experiences with Risperdal? I have bipolar with psychotic features, and was recently prescribed 2mg to take at night before bed. Did it work for you? How so and how well? I know it is an antipsychotic and anti-manic, but does it have anti-depressant qualities as well? Did you have side effects? Weight gain? Weight loss after other weight gainers? How much weight gain/loss? Too much sedation? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It was my favorite antipsychotic, personally. It worked wonders for my BP irritability, worked well on anxiety and impulsiveness.

The sedating was harsh at first, but taking it at night helped and after a few weeks I wasn't even groggy in the morning. Weight gain, yes - I found the ONLY thing that helped me was to harshly reduce carbs. YMMV. I didn't have any akasia? sp on it, I DID lactate on it but I was on 4 mg at the time. Reduced the dosage and it went away.

I was on it comfortably as a monotherapy for a year, and it was part of my cocktail for 4 years. I can't speak for it as an antidepressant for myself as I tend towards chronic hypomania, but anti manic and anti psychotic definately. It worked as advertised for me. ( I managed to become psychotic on Geodon, and became violently suicidal on seroquel.)

I am on lithium now, but would take risperdal again if needed.

Good luck!!    :)

I took risperdal prn & then at night for anxiety (2mg). It calmed me down but over time it wasn't helping my nighttime anxiety anymore. I didn't want to increase the dosage b/c of the  weight gain so i went off of it. I took it in the past and also lactated and had weight gain issues (15#). That's just my experience though!

I've been on it twice, 0.5 mg the first time and now 1 mg. Weight gain both times (probably like 5-6 lbs, maybe a little more), sedation the first time, zombie feeling, it makes me feel bloated, cognitive issues..it's been helpful until recently for psychosis!

Good luck with it! I hope it helps you!

Currently on 4mg and so far have noticed no side affects at all. No sedation other than first night I took it, no weight gain or anything else for that matter. However, I have only been taking it for a matter of weeks so it's still possible that thing(s) may spring up in the future. Will keep you posted if they do. Seems to be helping with my current problems, as you;ll see below I take it in conjunction with a lot of other meds so you can nevr be sure which one is working best!

Still, I wish you all luck with it and hope it aids your treatment well!

Hey there, I'm on 6mg risperidone.  I find for me that any dosage below 6mg I am not functioning as clear as I could be.  However weight gain with risperidone has been a big issue(no pun intended).  It helps somewhat with my depression, and if I go two days without it I get delusional.  

I think I was on at least 6 mg. no sedation at all (darn I needed it for sleep too amongst other things). No weight gain at all. I was on it for quite a while. I would have liked to stay on it but I was lactating and that is why my pdoc took me off of it. My porlacten (sp?) was high I guess? That is what the med caused. But I had good clarity of mind on risp. I would still be taking it today had my pdoc not taken me off of it. I wish it didn't have that bad side effect.

I was taking 2.5 mg of this three times a day at one point.  It did nothing for my psychotic symptoms.  I was sleeping 18 hours per day, and the rest of the time I was really psychotic still.  The sedation effects of it never wore off for me, and I was also having really bad tremors while I was on it.  Needless to say, I had to change meds.  However, it was weight neutral for me.  

I didn't have a very positive experience, but everyone responds to these meds so differently you'll never know until you try it.  Good luck.

Edited by Schizophrenic_Sanity

1mg of Risperdal actually hyped me up, gave me a ton of energy, and made me a complete asshole the whole time I was on it, along with causing a couple of mixed episodes. Appeared to be weight-neutral at that dose, did nothing for my insomnia. I stuck with it for about 5-6 weeks before I gave it up due to the side effects.

• 5 weeks later...

I was on risperdal for about 6 months, started at .25mg, went up to 1, then back down and eventually off.

It helped with the mood swings a bit, though I still got mildly depressed it only lasted a couple days at a time.

Made me very lethargic, felt like I just couldn't get enough sleep.

However it completely wrecked my brain. About two days after I started taking it, I noticed I couldn't concentrate on more than one thing at a time (eg watching TV and talking, cooking and washing dishes, driving and watching the road). After about three months, I felt like there was a physical wall in my brain, and my consciousness was on one side and all of my memories, experience, and knowledge were on the other and I couldn't get at them. 

Completely lost most of my empathy toward living creatures and stopped caring about my animals, became very negative and cynical about the world.

Decided I couldn't live with that and went off, reduced dose gradually over about a month period. About a week after I was completly off my concentration started coming back. Still having issues with lethargy.

I've been on 2 mgs a day at night to help with OCD and to keep the stimulant I take for ADD from making all my anxiety symptoms worse.  I only find it sedating when mixed with alcohol and it's the most weight neutral AAP I've been on other than Geodon, which did nothing.