CrazyBoards.org

I'm kinda stuck (medical forms for employment)

I'm going for this job next Tuesday for a nannying position. I've gone for a few interviews lately so I'm getting really anxious about the fact that  no one has hired me. I've filled out medical forms before and they only ask about any physical issues that could impair my work.The form for this job has a question about MI. I'm normally in the camp of do not tell employee they don't need to know, and the very unfortunate and backward discrimination. I'm okay, it doesn't affect my work. But I know it won't look good if they write down bipolar disorder, and theres also a list for medications and that makes me look like a really sick person, even when I'm stable and not dying or anything. I can see how they're trying to protect themselves, like if something went wrong on my shift I know it would be bought up, never mind non MI people make mistakes all the same. If I go to my regular gp he'll write these things on the form, and I suppose you can't ask for them to lie. I could side step it by going to a doctor I've never been to before and lying. I know that that's bad and horrible, but I really need this job. I probably be too embarrassed to go for it now that I think about the form.

Hm, i wouldn't want to fill that out, personally and I'm pretty open to disclosure. I've done it with jobs-but only after I've been established there/feel i can trust my boss. Or if it was affecting my work & I felt the need to explain what was going on. Them asking about that right off the bat...I don't like that, personally. Be interesting to see what others think...

Is it actually legal for a potential employer to ask for your medical information at the interview? I don't think it is, although I cannot remember for sure. The sequence is supposed to be first the hire you, then you disclose. That's my recollection, at least.

Of course, if you assert that to them, they aren't going to hire you. So it is a Catch 22.

It's legal if it's 'for the purpose of seeing if adjustments can be made for the individual within the workplace' or something like that. It's pre employment, I think it's sucky, it just saves them having to be tolerant when hiring or something. Because they'll look at the medical form and pick the one whose less of a disability.  So they can pass it off as that they couldn't provide enough adjustments to the individual and try and spin it to look like they're doing you a favour.

I agree if I refuse to fill it they'd just not interview me.

It's legal if it's 'for the purpose of seeing if adjustments can be made for the individual within the workplace' or something like that. It's pre employment, I think it's sucky, it just saves them having to be tolerant when hiring or something. Because they'll look at the medical form and pick the one whose less of a disability.  So they can pass it off as that they couldn't provide enough adjustments to the individual and try and spin it to look like they're doing you a favour.

I agree if I refuse to fill it they'd just not interview me.

this is a bunch of bs. the requirement under Americans with Disabilities Act is covered by a single question that asks if there is any condition that would require workplace accommodations. This is all that I have ever seen in any of my job searches. They are trying to do an end run. I would pass on the job for a couple of reasons. 1. if they act like this during the application process what must they be like to work for. and 2. almost any application that I have seen has a proviso that says that incorrect information given during the application process could be reason for dismissal. so could fire you if you find a way to keep them from having the information that they don't have a right to in the first place.  I totally wouldn't work for anyone like this. if I had the time and the inclination I might be tempted to sue

I live in Australia, stuff like this is unfortunately common, and completely legal, because they say it's not for discrimination which we all know is a lie. I don't know I'm just stressed. I hate that I have this on my name for the rest of forever. Times like this I regret doing anything about my MI, if I just didn't seek help I wouldn't have to be concerned with things like this.

I don't know Cacia. I've definitely gone to doctors that either couldn't or didnt pull out my file and I had to repeat myself and medications I'd taken. I was hoping it was like that.

That this form has a question specifically about MI troubles me. I bet you $1 that this family had a poor outcome with a different nanny who hid her MI and then it came out like fire. That was my first thought.

Im guessing you have prior nanny experience. Are there agencies you could work through or is that too expensive? I have no clue how it works in the US much less where you are.

There are days when I've offered 50 cents an hour for child help. So far no one has taken me up on it. :)

good luck,

db

I'd understand it more if it was a singular family. It's an agency so I guess that's how they get around with this kind of policy, that finds the nanny's for the children, children with special needs in particular. Theres not many others around, and I don't really want to free lance it and I'm not sure that that's really done here.

I was a carer in a respite house that was 24/7 before this, so basically the same work, same kind of kids.

Edited by Likeabowlof0ranges

OMG This infuriates me! You obviously have the skill set for caring for kids since you worked in a respite house. You are stable now and have proper supports set up for you. Such as a pdoc and I believe you have a tdoc, am I mistaken?

So, this agency would rather take a less qualified employee rather than a higher qualified one based solely on MI? That's sad.

I like the idea of putting "in remission" or "recovered" or "recovering" maybe even on the application if you choose to disclose. I honestly don't know whether or not it would be better to lie on the application or disclose. You'd like to think people wouldn't discriminate, you know? But unfortunately they may do this to you and not hire you, even though you have the right qualifications. Or they may hire you and if something goes wrong, they may blame the MI even if that was not even close to being the cause! Argh!

Anyway, I wish you luck that you get a good job. Even MI people deserve to have that opportunity. Because, you know, we are humans too!

Thank you all. I do think it's unfair, how do they expect individuals with MI to get out and contribute to the community when things like this exist. I'm going to my regular doctor and I'll ask if he can write that it's controlled or something, not that I should have to justify myself. Urgh. I'll let you know what happens then.

Wow, I would definitely get another doctor. Sounds like your doctor doesn't understand MI or you if he's so quick to mark off that you are a danger to children. I lost my job last month and my therapist and several friends (some with MI and some without) want me to sue for discrimination. I was told that I was "unreliable" and had to be "let go". I was assured less than a week before that I was secure in my employment and that they understood why I was struggling recently. Sturggling b/c of med withdrawal, PTSD.

I still got rave reviews and got along awesome with customers and employees. When I was there i kicked ass in all areas, exclusion being some attendance problems (mainly leaving early) and I was honest about what was going on. They knew I'm BP1 and have severe PTSD and was going through intensive EMDR as well as rough withdrawals from a med. At one point I didn't sleep for close to a week (it was a really rough time as you can well imagine I'm sure)

I followed the absence policy-used paid and unpaid sick days, left after working 4 hours (they allowed us to do that without ramifications-or so I thought).

I did what i was supposed to do. I was responsible and tried so hard. I requested to drop to 4 days a week for a short period of time to get through the tough period and was denied. Soon after this request was made, i was fired. My boss was crying when she did it and I'm 99% certain (as are ppl that worked for this company much longer than I did) that the decision came from the HR dept.

They allowed me to work limited hours early on when I was having MI problems. I still don't understand why they weren't willing to do this again after I was there for over 3 years. I want to go in and see my friends but haven't yet-too painful. I just bs with them on facebook. The boss told ppl that i quit-put a note up by the timeclock, in fact (which I think is odd, usually they allow former employees to disclose on their own). She asked me in advance what i wanted them to tell ppl if they asked, which is nice, I suppose. I've called for things (paperworks) and my boss said how much she missed me recently. Wtf.

Ok, this got longer than expected, hope it made sense. Just wanted to share my recent employment experience. I'm scared to try to work anywhere again right now. But, this cloud has a silver lining. I've taken this in stride and decided to go back to school. I've wanted to be back at school for years anyhow and I see this job loss a reason to take another path. Now to see how much better I can be at school now that I'm older, medicated, sober and heavily therapied!

I wish you luck in your job search and keep us posted!