CrazyBoards.org

The 700 Club

This kind of stuff pisses me off.  Self rightous know it all's.  What did Jesus call these kind of people? Pharisees?

By Alan Elsner Fri Nov 11, 1:19 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative Christian televangelist Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them on Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck.

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate and founder of the influential conservative Christian Broadcasting Network and Christian Coalition, has a long record of similar apocalyptic warnings and provocative statements.

Last summer, he hit the headlines by calling for the assassination of leftist Venezuelan Present Hugo Chavez, one of

President George W. Bush's most vocal international critics.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city," Robertson said on his daily television show broadcast from Virginia, "The 700 Club."

"And don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help because he might not be there," he said.

The 700 Club claims a daily audience of around one million. It is also broadcast around the world translated into more than 70 languages.

In voting on Tuesday, all eight Dover, Pennsylvania, school board members up for re-election lost their seats after trying to introduce "intelligent design" to high school science students as an alternative to the theory of evolution.

Adherents of intelligent design argue that certain forms in nature are too complex to have evolved through natural selection and must have been created by a "designer." Opponents say it is the latest attempt by conservatives to introduce religion into the school science curriculum.

The Dover case sparked a trial in federal court that gained nationwide attention after the school board was sued by parents backed by the

American Civil Liberties Union. The board ordered schools to read students a short statement in biology classes informing them that the theory of evolution is not established fact and that gaps exist in it.

The statement mentioned intelligent design as an alternate theory and recommended students read a book that explained the theory further. A decision in the case is expected before the end of the year.

In 1998, Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Florida that it risked hurricanes, earthquakes and terrorist bombs after it allowed homosexual organizations to put up rainbow flags in support of sexual diversity.

This kind of stuff pisses me off.  Self rightous know it all's.  What did Jesus call these kind of people? Pharisees?

umm, i think it was 'assholes'. but i could be wrong. i wasn't there so i got it all kind of second hand. ;)

yeeg. and as for evolution. a scientific theory isn't, 'hey guys, i got this kind of cool idea.' a scientific theory is something that has survived the siege of scientific attacks trying to destroy (disprove) it. a scientific hypothesis is on the order of, 'hey guys, i've got this cool idea and i've come up with a good way to try to disprove it'. but hypotheses don't make headlines. they're years from making headlines. years of attacks. scientists can make as big a name for themselves in disproving the work of others. in science, nothing is proven, just heavily accepted.

i'm with you on this one skaz. the guy's reality is heavily distorted.

cool post.

grouse.

edited to add: typo

grousemouse:

asshole= Robertson= right on!

I don't have a problem with the Philosphy of an intelligence behind the Universe.  Stuffing it down people's throats as a scientific theory and warning that God will punish them for not including it in their school science curriculum is another story.  Science is Science.  Intelligent design is more religion and philosophy, a neocreationist pseudoscience.

And Robertson is a major homophobic.  He's a deluded Right Wing Extremist who mixes religion with politics as if they were one in the same.  Scary!  He basically said in the last election that if you voted for John Kerry you were making a grave sin against God and would be punished.  He's a real fear-monger.  Additionally his comments about Florida possibly getting hit with a hurricane is like saying that Canada may be hit with a Severe Blizzard.

I have edited the post.  It was wrong for me to make the connection between a Pharisee and Robertson.  I apologize if I have offended any Pharisees.

He's not just an asshole preacher!

He's a brilliant business man who has skillfully maninpulated the tax exempt status of a church to make himself a multi-millionaire.

Did you know that his church has bush cargo planes in Africa that he rents back  to his gold and diamond mining companies?    No, shit. 

You get a bit more of the dirt on him when you live in the Tidewater area of Virginia.  Stuff that somehow never makes the national news.

a.m.

I guess we need to look on the bright side. It's GOOD that the christian right has Robertson as a major spokesman. Except for the "true believers" his observations are SO full of bullshit that even mainstream christians can see through him - the more he talks. The best thing is to make sure he gets MORE headlines and airplay! A lot of people won't listen if you try to tell them the christian right is bad. But if they can see it for themselves right from the source they can hopefully design their own intelligent decisions and that might also change their attitudes toward those who support his beliefs (eg Bush et al.) (I'm NOT a democrat, either!)

I certainly HOPE this is the case!

He's not just an asshole preacher!

He's a brilliant business man who has skillfully maninpulated the tax exempt status of a church to make himself a multi-millionaire.

Did you know that his church has bush cargo planes in Africa that he rents back  to his gold and diamond mining companies?    No, shit. 

You get a bit more of the dirt on him when you live in the Tidewater area of Virginia.  Stuff that somehow never makes the national news.

a.m.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow...  What a great guy.

Off topic and not so off topic ...

An Episcopalian church in San Fransico, CA has been threatened with having their tax-exempt church status revoked because a Rev. spoke to the congregation prior to the 2004 election. He did not say to vote for or against Bush. He did say that he was against the war in Iraq.

I guess if you are Robertson, you can say anything you want to and will not have to worry about losing tax-exempt status.

Erika

Off topic and not so off topic ...

An Episcopalian church in San Fransico, CA has been threatened with having their tax-exempt church status revoked because a Rev. spoke to the congregation prior to the 2004 election. He did not say to vote for or against Bush. He did say that he was against the war in Iraq.

I guess if you are Robertson, you can say anything you want to and will not have to worry about losing tax-exempt status.

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unbelievable!  What happened to free speech?  I guess that if you give enough money to a certain party you can say anything you want, so long as it supports the agenda of that party.  That sounds more like communism than democracy.  They do that in

China all the time...

The thing is, they do it HERE all the time! Always have. We revise history as well. We may think we do it less - but we still do it. It's not an issue of democracy - (even our "democracy" as practiced has many questionable aspects. It's more like this is human nature that HOPEFULLY good government can somewhat tame. Some periods in history and some administrations are better than others. Right now it SEEMS to be the republicans who are the "bad guys". Primarily - in my opinion - because of the religious right. Our government right now seems to be taking the low road rather than the high road.

I Hope that's not always the case. This is NOT a republican vs democrat thing, either. Just talking nice and telling people that they deserve everything and no pain in life like the dems seem to do is also stupid. imhop! and many past periods of democrats being in power have been (almost ;) ) as bad! Issues surrounding the atomic bomb on Japan for one! A lot of lies circulated about that that are now accepted by most as "history".

Sorry - I rambled OT - again.

Heya,

Interesting.

When we were in China recently, I got a copy of an English-language newspaper in Shanghai.

The government was quoted as saying they needed to "increase indoctrination of the students" because the students were "thinking freely."

I remember thinking, and saying (in a very irritating fashion, I'm sure) to anyone unlucky enough to be in earshot, that at least the *Chinese* government was *honest* about it.

Very clever, I know. ;)

Particularly annoying to others because the only English-language stations in our hotels were showing endless US Presidential election debates, which is why I thought I was being so astute.

But what government isn't doing *some* kind of indoctrination?

Religious right thing freaks me out a bit.  These guys are not religious.  They are opportunists preying on the faithful.

Climbing down from soapbox ... Now.

--ncc--

A.  Don't get too down on the Pharisees (a particular Jewish sect).  The NT accounts of them aren't representative of their fuller doctrine.  Just as there are hypocrital bastards like this guy giving Christians a bad name, so there were self-righteous deceitful prigs in 30AD wandering around with the name of Pharisee.  Not all fundamentalists are asshats.  Extra-Biblical historical documents indicate not all Pharisees were, either. 

B.  I apologize for the history lecture.  I had a very emphatic prof in early Judaism many moons ago.  'Hypocrites' applies equally to the guys Jesus yelled at and this guy who Jesus is probably currently yelling at.

C.  I HATE THE 700 CLUB. 

D.  Steve, I likes ya.  I agree with your saying that different movements seem evil at different points in history.  There are places and times in the world where people yearned for Communism to take over and make things right.  If I mentioned this to my grandparents (ah, the Cold War), they'd spit coffee and have simultaneous strokes.  Perspective changes.

E.  There was a rock band (dcTalk) in the 90's which introduced a song with these words:  "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle.  That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."  I think they've hit on something.

F.  I lecture at the drop of a hat.  I am SO sorry.

A.  Don't get too down on the Pharisees (a particular Jewish sect).  The NT accounts of them aren't representative of their fuller doctrine.  Just as there are hypocrital bastards like this guy giving Christians a bad name, so there were self-righteous deceitful prigs in 30AD wandering around with the name of Pharisee.  Not all fundamentalists are asshats.  Extra-Biblical historical documents indicate not all Pharisees were, either. 

B.  I apologize for the history lecture.  I had a very emphatic prof in early Judaism many moons ago.  'Hypocrites' applies equally to the guys Jesus yelled at and this guy who Jesus is probably currently yelling at.

C.  I HATE THE 700 CLUB. 

D.  Steve, I likes ya.  I agree with your saying that different movements seem evil at different points in history.  There are places and times in the world where people yearned for Communism to take over and make things right.  If I mentioned this to my grandparents (ah, the Cold War), they'd spit coffee and have simultaneous strokes.  Perspective changes.

E.  There was a rock band (dcTalk) in the 90's which introduced a song with these words:  "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle.  That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."  I think they've hit on something.

F.  I lecture at the drop of a hat.  I am SO sorry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the history info.  I didn't research the overall history of the Pharisees and should not have lumped people together like that.  I apologize to any Pharisees out there. I meant to make a biblical analogy.  Now that I think about it, Hypocrites would be a better term.  Now I know.  I never had a class on Judaism.

Archived