CrazyBoards.org

Books for Friends, Loved Ones

What are the best books to recommend to people who want to learn and understand more about your disorder? Something that talks about how they can set boundaries and protect/care for themselves when I'm not at my best. I'm asking for your recommendations because I know there is a lot of toxic, biased information out there and I definitely don't want that. Thanks!

Lost in the Mirror has a relatively decent chapter for friends and family and it's a good overall book as well.

The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide is written at a very simple level and could be useful for understanding.

I have heard bad things about Stop Walking on Eggshells - specifically that it is quite stigmatizing - and just by reading the blurb, my hopes wouldn't be high.

I actually looked at that book today, and the back of it says "Do you feel manipulated, controlled or lied to?" along with some other bull shit. I totally see it being stigmatizing. If without even reading the book, I could tell it paints people with BPD as liars, manipulators and control freaks... it must be a pretty bad book. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Valerie Porr's book Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder seems promising.  Focus is not my strong suit at the moment, but on skimming it looks like a compassionate and insightful family/friend guide, with only a few offensive clunkers I've noticed so far.  Interesting chapter on the science of BPD and how sufferers' brains are mis-firing, some of which was new to me.  I like that 3/4 of the book is devoted to therapies and recovery.