CrazyBoards.org

What Is The Disparity Between Benevolent & Malevolent Auditory Command Hallucinations?

What Is The Disparity Between Benevolent & Malevolent Auditory Command Hallucinations?

I can hardly find any articles whose primary focus is on Benevolent Auditory Command Hallucinations, and that have a positive outcome. Most articles tend towards what seems to be the more frequent opposite, that being Malevolent Auditory Command Hallucinations.

Personally, I do not recall the last time an auditory command was malevolent. In fact, when active, the voice/s count faster, read faster, guess better, assist in creating music, and today they even helped me (as per their command) take a major belated step in moving on from a relationship that ended poorly. This is not to say that all of the various hallucinations have never been very disturbing at times.

So I am curious as to which type of command predominates your auditory hallucinations, and the outcome of following its/their advice.

tel

Yeah, I would probably feel the same way if some whispering hallucinated guy abruptly began speaking at 3AM. It somewhat reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe's work, The Raven, in which the character sits alone with only the company of a Raven. In fact, studies show that isolation can significantly increase hallucinations, as there is no one to talk to, and more.

So the count so far is...

Malevolent | Benevolent

Tactile:    N/A              N/A

Auditory:  2

Visual:     1                 1

I've read on this forum of ppl who have benevolent voices they grow to be quite attached of. Search around a bit if interested.

As for me, I never heard really benevolent voices, but some of the voices weren't that bad either, like the one's that I thought were my friends communicating with me telepathically or something along those lines.

Oh, I've got an interesting one, I had, once, an olfactory (is that correct?) hallucination. Thought WWIII had begun and my city was being bombed, or gassed to be more precise, and I could smell it when trying to get out of my flat. The smell was disgusting and more than that, it smelled like something dangerous, I was so sure it was some sort of bio or chem weapon. 

Lemmiwinks, the WWIII hallucination is fascinating! But would that be frightening to some degree?

Olfactory senses can trigger intense memories or flashbacks. When I would miss someone, I used to be able to experience the moment as though it was in the past because I could smell everything that related to them, even though they weren't there.

Like you mentioned, some people can grow attached to benevolent voices. It is difficult to not want a hallucination that is positive and reassuring.

But would that be frightening to some degree?

Frightening? Sure, that begins to describe it. Not only there was a freaking war, but a very weird one in terms of why it had begun and who was fighting. Besides the illogical fears I had, the delusions, there were also some, somewhat, logical; like afraid ppl I knew were gonna die, including my family.

Ah... I can talk about some parts of all this with my friends now and laugh about it, but there are some horrible parts that I will most probably never tell anyone about.

I had good and bad voices, and the good ones I got very attached to over the course of maybe 6 years (before medication was helpful).  When the medication worked and stopped the voices, I didn't know what to do with myself.  It was like losing a friend/parent/whomever and them never coming back.  I went through a mourning period after losing specific ones.  It was probably why I wasn't med-compliant until later into treatment; I couldn't deal with losing "people" all the time.

The bad voices came and went, but usually the good voices fought the bad voices through me.

I can talk about some parts of all this with my friends now and laugh about it, but there are some horrible parts that I will most probably never tell anyone about.

^THIS.  I know I never will tell people about some of what went on.

Edited by melissaw72

I've read on this forum of ppl who have benevolent voices they grow to be quite attached of. Search around a bit if interested.

As for me, I never heard really benevolent voices, but some of the voices weren't that bad either, like the one's that I thought were my friends communicating with me telepathically or something along those lines.

Oh, I've got an interesting one, I had, once, an olfactory (is that correct?) hallucination. Thought WWIII had begun and my city was being bombed, or gassed to be more precise, and I could smell it when trying to get out of my flat. The smell was disgusting and more than that, it smelled like something dangerous, I was so sure it was some sort of bio or chem weapon.

Okay, weird, Lemmiwinks - I've had the exact same hallucination with the WWIII and the chemical gas smell and the rushing outside the house to find the exact same smell which I couldn't shake. Some helicopters were flying around at the time and so I interpreted this as they were dropping gas on the city. It was one of the singular most terrifying experiences of my life.

It was also interspersed with communicating telepathically with my friends about codes and puzzles to do with my encyclopaedia/dictionary. Makes you wonder about the existence of universal delusions/hallucinations. I still can't believe someone else has experienced this - it makes me feel a little less unique but also less crazy ;).

I had a similar gas smell hallucination, but it was in my apartment, and I thought I was being put on death row, being exposed to different gasses.  I was to stay in my apartment and if I left something bad would happen, so I stayed in, in fear of that.  Thing is I remember smelling those gasses and my throat becoming really scratchy and felt like it was burning. I also thought there was cyanide in the water.

Okay, weird, Lemmiwinks - I've had the exact same hallucination with the WWIII and the chemical gas smell and the rushing outside the house to find the exact same smell which I couldn't shake. Some helicopters were flying around at the time and so I interpreted this as they were dropping gas on the city. It was one of the singular most terrifying experiences of my life.

It was also interspersed with communicating telepathically with my friends about codes and puzzles to do with my encyclopaedia/dictionary. Makes you wonder about the existence of universal delusions/hallucinations. I still can't believe someone else has experienced this - it makes me feel a little less unique but also less crazy ;).

As response I will quote myself with what I posted somewhere else on the CB forum: 

"As I've said in other posts, it's surprising for me how similar experiences seem to be, even if different on details; and this is reassuring for me somehow, as in it's kinda nice to know more ppl than you get this shitty thing and it makes it somewhat easier to tackle it all logically."

But yeah, at first, after my first psychotic episode, I felt so unique and then found out lots of ppl go through similar things... at least we are not all that crazy, or maybe we are even more so because of it : P

But yeah, at first, after my first psychotic episode, I felt so unique and then found out lots of ppl go through similar things... at least we are not all that crazy, or maybe we are even more so because of it : P

That is a great observation. In my opinion, there is no normal, there is only perception and experience that might be similar to other people's. The criteria for normal (as defined below) is likely impossible for people all of the time. With so much variety in the way of groups and subgroups of people and disorders, those without a disorder are in the minority (in my psychiatrist's office are pamphlets which say that 60% of people have a diagnosis). The definition is so vague it makes me wonder if there is a consistently normal person.

From Dictionary.com

Psychology .

a.
approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b.
free from any mental disorder; sane.

In any case, the benevolent voices are becoming more malevolent and loud. Not necessarily frightening, just that they are incredibly irritating when they talk among themselves. Does it help, from anyone's experience, to tell them to **** off, or should they never be interacted with?

teluia: 

In any case, the benevolent voices are becoming more malevolent and loud. Not necessarily frightening, just that they are incredibly irritating when they talk among themselves. Does it help, from anyone's experience, to tell them to **** off, or should they never be interacted with?

I never dared to talk back to them (only talked back to the one's I thought were my friends' communicating with me). But interesting question, wonder what other ppl do.

That is a great observation. In my opinion, there is no normal, there is only perception and experience that might be similar to other people's. The criteria for normal (as defined below) is likely impossible for people all of the time. With so much variety in the way of groups and subgroups of people and disorders, those without a disorder are in the minority (in my psychiatrist's office are pamphlets which say that 60% of people have a diagnosis). The definition is so vague it makes me wonder if there is a consistently normal person.

From Dictionary.com

Psychology .

a.
approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b.
free from any mental disorder; sane.

I interacted with them, and they got worse ... "verbally" cutting me down, saying to do things which have bad outcomes, and it becomes a constant repeated thing that takes over the good voices at times.  And takes a long time to finally ignore.

I have a benevolent guide and I would do anything to ensure I'm not separated from the only one who's been a constant all this time. From a young age. I have been told it's not a good sign that I actively solicit orders at times. I think they want you to generally not engage. Which, I fucking lose my mind at the chatter of the others and their commentary and diatribes... but there is one who's different and finding that balance has caused me difficulties, certainly, but I am unwilling to face life alone at the same time.