CrazyBoards.org

So my pdoc wants me to be admitted...

I had my pdoc appointment today and as I thought would happen she wants me to go to the hospital. In the end we decided it was ultimately my decision and she let me go home for now.

Now, my problem is I agree with her, I think I should be in the hospital too but I just can't afford it financially. I can't afford to take the time off work monetary wise and because I just started this new job last week.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, I know I need the help but I don't think I can make the hospital work for me. I'm not even sure what I'm asking of you guys, has anyone else been in a similar situation? What would you do?

In my first psychotic break, my doctor told me that under my mental health conditions it would be required to send me to the hospital, but since I had a good family environment, that I could stay home.

Do you have someone to help you? family, husband or wife, sons, friends? or would you be totally on your own?

If you are an immediate danger to yourself or others you need to be in the hospital.

I know what it's like to not be able to afford it. It sucks. But you will never get back to your job or be able to afford anything if you are seriously planning and have a definite plan to kill yourself.

Please be safe! I am very worried about you!

Why did she request you be hospitalized? What are you displaying? Are you suicidal? Are you a danger to yourself or have you become homicidal? Hospitalization can be avoided with an aggressive outpatient regiment, and if you aren't posing a threat, and are willing to take prescribed medication, it will work if you are in a hospital setting or not. Just how bad are you? Are you having a nervous breakdown or psychotic break? What is your psychosis like, just because your psychotic doesn't necessarily mean you need to be hospitalized, it generally depends on if the psychosis is threatening your life or the lives of others. You could ask for an increase in your antipsychotic medication and put on a good face if you are stable enough if your problems is psychosis. Again we can't really help you unless you provide more details.

I'm deathly afraid of being hospitalized as it generally makes me develop something similar to a mild form of PTSD. And in my opinion the medications they'll prescribe work just as well within a hospital facility as they do in the comfort of your home. Again unless I posed a threat to your own life or the life of others, I usually would never opt to be hospitalized because of how distressing it can be. And you can sometimes unfairly lose your home/apartment, pets, have a partner leave you (if they are casual), again post what you are going through so everyone can help you out a bit more.

Edited by Forbidden91

I have my wife to support me at home, that's actually the reason she agreed I could even go home in the first place. She's very supportive and understanding.

More details:

I've been psychotic for 3 weeks, with thoughts of suicide although I don't have any plans to act on them. I've been having strong paranoia and hallucinations (my pdoc called them "First Tier" something). People are following me, talking about me, sending me thoughts, my ceiling is watching me, I accidentally ODed on Klonopin last Saturday because the voices told me to keep taking more. I have barely slept for weeks because it's never quiet.

She wanted to start me on a medication that required me to be initially inpatient to monitor side effects. This was one of the reasons she wants me to be admitted, in addition to the psychosis.

The problem is that you actually carried out an overdose attempt because your voices told you. Now how much control did you really have in that situation. Were you in control or were you so psychotic that you truly wanted to overdose? Are you going to become psychotic again and follow directions when you are hallucinating? Did you take a couple extra pills or did you consume the whole bottle? Only you know how much control you have over yourself, of course in certain situations people lose insight. How insightful are you? Are you able to identify reality from fantasy? Would your wife be willing to "babysit" you. You have all the red flags of someone who needs to be hospitalized, only because you could hurt yourself again, or worse hurt your family. If you still are against hospitalization, you could bring your wife with you to your next pdoc appointment and have her "testify" that she'll look after you. Your sleep deprivation is a huge problem because being sleep deprived or not sleeping at all can eventually cause psychotic symptoms. You could also discuss that you are ill (you don't have to mention physically or mentally) and that you need time off from work. Again most people would say go to the hospital, unless you have a support system, are extremely insightful, and have the psychiatrist prescribe medication to you. On another note, you could try being put on a medication you've tried before in hopes of preventing being hospitalized. You've tried Geodon and Seroqeul both would most likely aid in your insomnia and psychotic symptoms, again only consider this if you just absolutely refuse to go to the hospital. You could talk to your psychiatrist about this, and schedule an emergency consultation. 

ALSO I HAD TO WARN YOU, although I've never been psychotic, I've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder too, you don't want to wait until you get so bad that you get INVOLUNTARILY HOSPITALIZED. In some cases being hospitalized against your will, may be longer. Is your psychiatrist giving you options or a time table to come to the "right" decision. Just something to think about.

"Alternatives to admission

Coercive treatment or hospitalisation of people with psychosis is known to be frequently associated with unnecessary experiences of trauma, or retraumatisation. Within EPSS, admission to hospital is avoided whenever possible with only 37.5% being admitted at first contact between June 2005 - May 2010, of which 45% were informal admissions, and only 33.3% of young people receiving medication at the point of first contact over the same period. Instead, the team prioritise building positive relationships with young people, tolerating positive risk-taking so that a collaborative and person-centred approach to treatment can be established. Earlier this year, the delivery of Tier IV CAMHS services was significantly enhanced by the development of an Intensive Treatment Service (ITS). Close liaison between the ITS and EPSS increases the availability of alternatives to admission."  

I was researching what you were talking about first tier psychosis, and apparently it is has to do with boundaries of self and others when experiencing psychosis you can take a look at what I found here: 

http://books.google.com/books?id=4ODr9mxI53oC&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=first+tier+psychosis&source=bl&ots=C7__dgw_eY&sig=s_24XbTVHyYQh27OZ3VTjDPRkgA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=AJPLUbCRNcHB0AGczYDIAQ&ved=0CHQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=first%20tier%20psychosis&f=false

Also another question do you have any type of insurance?

Edited by Forbidden91

My question exactly: Insurance. If you are under the age of 25 years old and have your parent's insurance, or if you don't have insurance that covers the full price, and your monthly income does not exceed ($2k?), then you may qualify for a massively price reduced 'Charity Reduction,' (I don't remember the correct term). In addition, speak with the case manager you will most likely be able to find resources to solve this financial/employment dilemma. Unfortunately, a week into a new job does not necessarily grant medical leave privileges.

I have been hospitalized seven times, voluntarily and involuntary, and have gone to the ER ~6+ times, once due to a suicide attempt followed by amnesia and coma. From this experience, and the urgent advice from ~3+ doctors, I feel fit to strongly encourage that you seriously consider the pros and cons of voluntary hospitalization before it becomes involuntary (As Forbidden91 commented), and to consider the Long Term Impacts of treatment or no treatment. This, or making a psychiatric adjustment of medications and outpatient care can also help.

Please stay safe, and if you feel the need to hurt yourself, remember what keeps you alive. Family? Friends? Relationship?

Take care,

tel

I've decided I'm going to wait and see what this new combination of medication does first. If it helps then I obviously won't need to go to the hospital but if it doesn't I think it'd be a good idea. So I'll give it a few weeks to see how it goes and if it helps or not.

I think that's the smartest way to do this.

The Risperdal is new and she doubled my Abilify dose. I'm not sure how long it would take for them to take effect but I'll give it a few weeks unless things start taking a turn for the worse. If that happens I'll get my wife to immediately take me to the hospital because in the end it's not worth the risk right?

We'll see what happens I guess.

Just wanted to add here you definately dont need to go to the hospital. The only time you really NEED to go is when they put you in. If you have a choice, it is just a choice, nothing more. Because having suicidal thoughts and having the intention to act upon them are two very different things. Stay strong.

Edited by konings

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling better, the voices are gone for the most part and when I do hear them they're very quiet and tolerable and I'm not feeling paranoid. I'm guessing this means that my medication is doing it's job. Hopefully it stays like this because now I'm able to function and live my life again.