CrazyBoards.org

How long to become dependant?

I've recently started taking percocet (and the doc said maybe oxycontin after the surgery) for back pain that I'll have for a while.  I've never taken narcotic pain meds for more than a week or two.  I'm not worried about addiction, but I do tend to become dependent (mentally and physically) on some meds, such as benzos.  About how long does it take when on these kind of meds before your thinking, sleep, and mood is wrapped around them, and what can I do to minimize that?

Thanks

In my experience, if i start reaching for the meds when i don't need them or take them for reasons other than prescribed (i like the numb feeling, for instance) I need to stop. I take a benzo for anxiety, but sparingly b/c i am in recovery for alcohol addiction.  I am too afraid to take percocet or any other painkillers b/c I know how strong my addict brain is.

If you've had dependence on benzos in the past, maybe tell your doc and see what they suggest? My therapist has been sober for over 25 years and won't take painkillers, I'm not sure how intense your dependence was so it's hard to make any other suggestions. Hope this helps.

A lot of studies on the use of morphine for pain show that the majority of patients allowed to self-administer take less than a doc would prescribe. There also are a lot of studies that show the use of morphine for pain usually does not cause dependence.

I think that as long as you use the pain meds just for pain management, you'll be okay. If you start to want the high, it's time to reduce the dose or discontinue. Most likely, you will not like the constant fuzzy head and want to decrease as your pain level decreases.

I've had several surgeries in the last decade, and have always self-administered my pain meds. Of course, right after a surgery, I took it as much as allowed. But after a while, the pain was less, and I wouldn't be reminded of the pain med until it *did* hurt, from over-using, for example. But I took less and less, and then stopped. I was kind of annoyed because later on, I found out I could have asked my foot orthopedist for another month's worth. Which would have been nice, because there were times I was really sore. But I didn't miss it, or anything.

Same thing when I was in the hospital for a kidney infection for a week. I was allowed to take "Demerol upon request." As I got better, I just started requesting it less and less. And I have since heard that Demerol is an awful med, for some reason.