CrazyBoards.org

Poor Hygiene when in later stages of mania?

I hope you understand what I mean by later stages. I mean the no longer fun stages. Anyways I don't shower often when I am like this and don't brush my teeth-I make my room a wreck and don't bother cleaning it etc. Anyone else like this? 

Edited by Bipolar_Flower

Hiya . . . I'm bipolar II, and certainly like that when I'm in hypomanic. It's hard for me to be hygienic when I'm depressed because I have no energy or impetus. But when I'm edging toward hypomania, I don't have the patience to do something as unproductive as showering or cleaning. . . .

Then, at the end of the hypomanic mood, when I'm irritable and angry and bordering on explosive, I'm not good for anything remotely "normal."

Damned if I do, damned if I don't. As it stands, I'm pretty iffy at keeping up with hygiene at any given time because I have either too much energy, not enough energy, or I'm just too irritated and angry to care what I look or smell like, or what state my apartment is in. Meds don't seem to help that facet of my disorder.

Not exactly what you're going through, as I've never had full-blown mania that I know of, but sorta close. You're not alone.

I don't feel like it in the later stages because I'm feeling more down than up. And when i feel down I'm not as motivated to do anything like clean, cook, bathe, even eat. Plus, I'm pretty exhausted by the time I'm winding down!

I'm this way right now. I haven't showered since almost a week ago. I just don't care. I don't see the point. I don't need to shower anyway. Besides, I couldn't possibly stand the dullness of cleaning myself, standing in the shower without any stimulation for that long. Fuck that!

• 2 months later...

i do this too, but i start collecting empty bottles. I have no clue why. And my hygiene goes down the drain too lol

But i think that's more during like a mixed episode.. than just pure mania. (for me personally)

I also get kind of scared of the shower.. I have no clue why but I get a sense of fear coming over me

Edited by CherryBlossom

I've been like this since the dysphoric mania I started in July of 2012. I am much better mood wise, but I do not shower. 3 days between showers is like some kind of victory. Usually 3 weeks. I keep trying to start it again, but I just don't care.

When I am hypo, i clean the house like crazy, but don't wash myself.

We moved to a new house, and I have been cleaning the kitchen, the bathroom, and doing all the laundry. And still shower every three weeks.

But I can never go out because of my headaches, so what's the point? Except to the supermarket, and I don't care what I look like there.

Yeah I kinda get that way too. I usually shower every day but have been manic lately and skipped a shower the other day and thought to myself "wow I don't feel gross or icky, why not skip more?" and I keep forgetting to brush my teeth, woops. Its almost like a hassle, there's other things I'd rather be doing.

I love water. I love showers (never baths), so I would stand in a shower and just enjoy the feel of the water on my skin until the hot ran out if I was manic. If I'm depressed, I will go and take showers- too- but it's more just to relax and be left alone. Nobody can bother me if I'm in the shower.

I'm in a depressive, mixed state kind of thing right now where I just don't care what I wear to work. No make-up, no style. I have plenty of cool clothes, but I'm not going to wear them. I'm not going to put any time towards ironing or picking out something that looks cool. I just don't care.

Cleaning my house? This is where my ADD comes in. I can't get started. It's too overwhelming, so it just adds to my depression. When I took ADD meds, my house got clean. They also made me crazy (er), unfortunately. My house hasn't been clean since I quit taking vyvanse.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I thought I was the only gross, unshowered lunatic around. Of course when I'm depressed my hygiene gets neglected because I don't give a crap. But then at the other end I get obsessed with cleaning everything except myself. I brush my teeth & take a "whore's bath" but as for showering, I can't be bothered. It's weird because when I clean the house I get so detailed with it, to the point where I'm actually on my hands & knees scrubbing things that may or may not be there.