CrazyBoards.org

Yes, this does happen to me too, but I attributed it to me being paranoid of others trying to send me indirect messages.  The coincidences make me wonder what is happening, like do I have some sort of way to predict something; I haven't found a reason other than that as to why the coincidences happen.

i think ideas of reference is when you think that coincidence specifically pertains to you or was left there for you. I do that. Today I was following signs. I had the word Lazarus in my head all day and at the book store ad around town I kept finding things called "The Lazarus Project", and I wondered why I was finding so many of these things and if I looked into them it pertained to me and felt very relevant and I have certain long term themes or ideas about religion and the occult and the government that are kept in the rear of my head and when I find something that "matches" or "fits"---a coincidence--it gets stored in that repertoire of associations and it creates a story over time. I find lots of coincidences, always, there are things I find today that feel that they were directly put there and they link back to some childhood memory that could help lead me to piecing together my life. I hate coincidence. Sometimes I get scary ideas from the associations I have drawn but I try to understand it rationally. I must have seen the word "Lazarus" at some point and because it was already in my mind I could begin to find hints to it everywhere. If I had not had it in my mind already, I would never have taken notice. Coincidence seems to be finding things we have already found, if that makes sensse. I started to study chaos theory to make me feel better, so now a coincidence is a coincidence because pattern is inherent to nature, not because nature is communicating to me. 

Yes, this is very strange sometimes. Once it even brought me to a delusion in which I felt the world's events coincided with my being the savior of humanity. So now I just remember that everyone else has something that relates to them; basically, if you look for red cars, you're going to see more red cars.

Latent inhibition. It's what the brain uses to block all the 'irrelevant' stuff from being sent to the conscious mind. From what I've read, schizotypes lack the ability to suppress these patterns and ruminate on them.

Personally, coincidences and ideas/delusions of reference plague me like...the...well...plague. I am having trouble believing that 'reality' is genuine because of it. I see specific numbers everywhere and connections between the locations of number sightings (For instance, a 7-eleven right next to a pizza place with only 1's and 7's in their location#.)

Then there are times when I think of a word or read a word from an online article and then right as I read it someone on TV says the same word. A few weeks ago I thought of the phrase "Like a snake that ate it's own tail" (not sure of the context). Then a day later, I was watching TV and I heard that same phrase, later that night I came across a picture of a snake eating it's own tail on Google images while looking for memes.

These coincidences might have a scientific explanation, but it just feels like there is something behind it all. I have come to the conclusion that I am either dead, in a coma, or in the middle of some grand conspiracy that is all-too-typical for someone Dx'd with SZA to believe in. After all, explaining away the conspiracy with a diagnosis that labels me as crazy is a damn good way to cover something up.

Latent inhibition. It's what the brain uses to block all the 'irrelevant' stuff from being sent to the conscious mind. From what I've read, schizotypes lack the ability to suppress these patterns and ruminate on them.

Personally, coincidences and ideas/delusions of reference plague me like...the...well...plague. I am having trouble believing that 'reality' is genuine because of it. I see specific numbers everywhere and connections between the locations of number sightings (For instance, a 7-eleven right next to a pizza place with only 1's and 7's in their location#.)

Then there are times when I think of a word or read a word from an online article and then right as I read it someone on TV says the same word. A few weeks ago I thought of the phrase "Like a snake that ate it's own tail" (not sure of the context). Then a day later, I was watching TV and I heard that same phrase, later that night I came across a picture of a snake eating it's own tail on Google images while looking for memes.

These coincidences might have a scientific explanation, but it just feels like there is something behind it all. I have come to the conclusion that I am either dead, in a coma, or in the middle of some grand conspiracy that is all-too-typical for someone Dx'd with SZA to believe in. After all, explaining away the conspiracy with a diagnosis that labels me as crazy is a damn good way to cover something up.

heh I have similar ones, series of 3's, 21 and 7 are always popping out to me and my whole life cycles and the ouroborus follow me, the serpent eating its tail as above so below. I get stuck in a paradox if I think about it too long, its funny though this in itself is a coincidence. you're citing the same things that I find popping up, it leads me to question reality too. I start thinking I am still sleeping because I had night terrors and inceptions/false awakenings as a kid and I sometimes start wondering if these coincidences are actually cues and if I piece enough together I will realize I've been dreaming. That I've been living life eating my own tail? Yikes, I hate coincidences. I leave this stuff alone most of the time now, I find if I entertain it once it gets harder and harder to set aside, it feels like things disintegrate in the process of trying to make sense of it and so its a slope too slippery to traverse. 

OMG this happens to me all the time!   I hear an odd phrase (one that I haven't heard of before), and then that same day, I hear someone use it again.  It is strange to me how that happens. 

Just wanted to add:

These coincidences, as we are calling them, can happen everywhere, whenever and can come from everyone/anything. Meaning that it could be something I hear in a song, or something someone says (even a person you know well), whatever. Then, if too much attention is payed to the coincidences, the following question arises: are these coincidences, or messages/signals, or... ? --I'm sure it's better not to continue with this line of thought.

It is different of being psychotic though, 'cause for me that's when you don't think of these as coincidences, but are certain that something is up. Furthermore [this word sounds too formal, haha], when psychotic, these coincidences, signals, or whatever they are called can, for me, become interactive and distinctively directed at me. For instance, an advertisement out in a random street can talk to me directly, or a radio host -or (I think it's funny to mention this) a whale-looking flying animal from a Zelda Wii game- can talk to me directly and interactively (i.e. responding in real time to things I think or see).

As I've said in other posts, it's surprising for me how similar experiences seem to be, even if different on details; and this is reassuring for me somehow, as in it's kinda nice to know more ppl than you get this shitty thing and it makes it somewhat easier to tackle it all logically. A difference in my experience from that of other posters, seems to be that in my case these coincidences are (not sure if always) related to past delusions.

Yes, when I was hospitalized they said I was making loose associations which I think is similar.  Where I would see associations from things that were unrelated (connecting dots that weren't there).  I would also see the same word mentioned twice and think it was a message for me.

Well this does start to happen when the brain gets restructured, I know I have read articles about schizophrenia about the structure of the brain changes. What happens, is that essentially the Tonal crashes, anything that remains goes into the back up hard drive and gets drawn on when needed. The mind becomes reactionary. So if something is seen like a word, it will trigger a recollection of similar ideas, how the ideas are associated is different for everyone, but it works similar none the less. The coincidences that were talked about are called synchronicitys and they are a good thing, You can actually use them to your advantage to find information. Most of it though is not relevant to your everyday life, not yet anyway. But they are usually relevant to positions of awareness

Edited by Cherryarc

Well this does start to happen when the brain gets restructured, I know I have read articles about schizophrenia about the structure of the brain changes. What happens, is that essentially the Tonal crashes, anything that remains goes into the back up hard drive and gets drawn on when needed. The mind becomes reactionary. So if something is seen like a word, it will trigger a recollection of similar ideas, how the ideas are associated is different for everyone, but it works similar none the less. The coincidences that were talked about are called synchronicitys and they are a good thing, You can actually use them to your advantage to find information. Most of it though is not relevant to your everyday life, not yet anyway. But they are usually relevant to positions of awareness

I think its interesting because that form of thought always helped me I think, especially when younger. Philosophy and debate and  lot of academic work was easy for me because I could find connections in anything and I could prove it. It wasn't until I get anxious or go downhill that the patterns turn into focusing on unproductive things or obsessional fears. Now though I find so many connections but academics are hard because I can't sift through it well enough to prove it! Now I find connections but can't prove anything and its moot. But interesting how that platform of thinking can be to your benefit or disadvantage. 

I have this.  I feel like people's conversations relate to me.  I also see messages in everyday things like tv/radio/magazines.  One thing I always see is patterns in numbers.  Like a certain number keeps appearing everywhere.  I do truly believe that there is a reason I see this stuff because I see it when I am stable and on meds. When I'm off meds these things make me extremely paranoid.

So in summary yes I have similar experiences with what you talked about.

i think for me i'd say the basic difference is that coincidences happen all the time and are sometimes (well, often i'd even say, of a persecutory/control nature...and flashes even of scenarios) and i can see them as potentially such, as distinct from what's "actually probably accounting for it...being mere coincidence or my fixating a bit because have a bit of an inclination to find/connect dots in various ways. far different is when i'm florid there is NO WAY i can even entertain really that what i'm seeing, literally, and hearing is inaccurate or illness.  even at that sorta "sub threshold" phase where i can still do some amount of reality testing...i'm not hospitalized...it's when i actually crack and end up somewhere that i am considered to be "lacking insight" and completely unable to see anything but what i'm seeing. that's, for me, the difference between being delusional and observing repeated coincidences/seeing connections... it's like...you don't get committed for your thoughts, but for your speech/actions, you know? and so coincidences...i can keep at "thought level"...delusions, especially certain kinds (though i'd say referential ones aren't my absolute strongest maybe), result in speech/action that then results in others acting toward/against me.

i hope that makes sense but it might not... soz if not. x

I have these sometimes, I start thinking that everyone is talking or thinking things about me, I make connections that aren't really there and conclude that they happened because I am special somehow.