CrazyBoards.org

Haven't Eaten in Three Days Due to Anxiety

Hey everyone,

I haven't been able to eat anything in the past three days. And the few days before that I threw up what I was able to stomach at first. Yesterday I mostly dry-heaved from anxiety stemming from my relationship dissolving. 

I am running dangerously low on klonopin and can't get another prescription (I moved out of state for the summer and my psychiatrist lives back im New York).

Does anyone have any homeopathic things I can take in order to reduce my anxiety and nausea? I really need to eat but I can't even bring myself to do it, I feel too nauseous and anxious. I've been drinking a lot of "calming" and ginger tea, but it's really not doing anything. Is the ANYTHING that works like benzos and could help me calm down and also give me an appetite? Weed is not really an option for me, it makes me paranoid.

I'm pretty desperate for any ideas!

When I have nausea   (whether it is from anxiety or not)  I have taken ginger capsules  (find them in the vitamin section) with good results.  Ginger tea also works.  Ginger does not work like benzos, but it can relieve nausea.    Actually, I have not found anything homeopathic that actually works like a benzodiazepine.  (Sorry!)

If you cannot get any more clonazepam, I am concerned about you suddenly stopping.  I understand you are out of state for the summer, but can't you call your doctor?  With chain pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS, etc.) all over the country, it seems that he could still call in a prescription.  

Benzodiazepine are a schedule "4" medication, which means from a federal standpoint, they may be called in and do not require a written prescription.

I  know New York state has some funky prescription drug laws, but again - I would think calling a refill into a pharmacy near where you are would be an option.  

I'm with FlamelessCandle in that scheduled meds, except schedule II, can be called in according to Federal law. I've had benzos and pain meds called in all over the US from my home town. Check with your pharmacist as to the ins and outs of this in the State you are in.

You need to start loading up on fruit juice, apple and juice will really help you. I'm pretty certain you can keep that down. You could also try some Benadryl (diphenydramine) for some calming effects it is available in supermarkets and pharmacies. 

I would make the first priority getting meds called in, at least if I were in your shoes.  I think Klonopin is C-IV, meaning (at least in my state) you can't refill it super-early, but that's obviously not your problem.  You might want to find the nearest chain drugstore, get their pharmacy's phone number, and forward this information to your psychiatrist along with a request for your prescription.  S/he will then have no problem faxing the prescription over to the pharmacy you chose.  Should take less than 48 hours from you calling your doc to the prescription being ready.  If you can't reach your psychiatrist, your general practitioner might be able to give you a single month's supply of it (I had to go this route once).

I think it's particularly important for you to keep your Klonopin supply in line because you're in so much stress right now. :-

For the nausea, I also recommend the ginger.  Sugared ginger candy also works and adds much-needed calories.

You need nutrients.

This is so easy. I did it today. Only 2 steps. I checked the label several times and didn't see any HFCS so....

- A bottle of Dole smoothie in whatever flavor you like.

- juice - whatever your preference.

empty juice in dole container. shake. smoothie. $3.

Getting something in you food wise will help. Then you can work on getting the appropriate meds or figuring out a plan.

db

Thank you everyone for the help! I am going to try and call my psychiatrist (the problem is I go away to college in NY and see him on campus so I don't know his personal practice number or anything). I shall look it up on google.

I found out that NY has weird laws regarding refilling medications, you can only refill them out of state if you have a script and my doctor just wrote on the bottles (3 refills). This was for seroquel. 

I'm so sick and tired of relaying on klonopin to reduce my anxiety. I threw up as soon as I woke up today (well dry heaved) and have taken 4 pills (each .5) and it has barely taken the edge off. I also drank calming and ginger tea today. Still havent eaten.

I am going to try and drink some juice smoothies today and see if that helps. I can't escape the trigger of all this anxiety (My girlfriend told me the she had cheated on my the other night and I told her yesterday that I couldn't be in an open relationship with her). So now I'm just awaiting her to call me back and  let me know if she can commit or not. Thinking about all of this gives me immense anxiety

I had my psychiatrist call in the klonopin, so I no longer have to worry about that. My body has definitely built up a tolerance and while even though I am currently in a stressful situation that would probably make "normal" people anxious, it's been extremely rough on my body.

I was able to eat a sandwhich yesterday and then some toast last night. I have also been drinking calming tea and purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-Raspberry-Lemon/dp/B00BPUY3W0.

Has anyone else ever used a magnesium supplement, it actually has been chilling me out quite a bit.

Edited by alltensedup

I had my psychiatrist call in the klonopin, so I no longer have to worry about that. My body has definitely built up a tolerance and while even though I am currently in a stressful situation that would probably make "normal" people anxious, it's been extremely rough on my body.

I was able to eat a sandwhich yesterday and then some toast last night. I have also been drinking calming tea and purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-Raspberry-Lemon/dp/B00BPUY3W0.

Has anyone else ever used a magnesium supplement, it actually has been chilling me out quite a bit.

So glad that you pursued this!   Longer term, folks had some good ideas about alleviating anxiety.   I am just getting completely off clonazepam (generic for Klonopin) after ten years, and my personal experience suggests that you do not want to be on it for that length of time....there are alternatives (including therapy).

And yes, magnesium helps me also; with the physical symptoms, not the mental.

Hmm, as far as other alternatives if more Klonopin is absolutely out of the question...

The following is just my experience:

• Magnesium gluconate calms the nerves but made me a wee bit nauseous.  If you're like me, you'd win some and lose some by taking it.
  • Magnesium sulfate, Mg citrate, and Mg chloride were good at uh... ensuring prompt evacuations of the bowel.  I don't know if it's morally right of me to recommend Mg sulfate/citrate/chloride due to this fact -- you may lose a lot of water, which could be a Bad Thing.
  • Most magnesium supplements I've seen at drugstores/etc. are actually Mg oxide, which has few side effects, namely as it's fairly useless unless you have a very acidic stomach.  Did nothing for me, anyways.

Thing is, Mg gluconate (my personal recommendation) is hard to find, even at health food stores.  You may wish to check online.

Now for problem #2 (the upchucking, or what sounds to me like gastroparesis, i.e. your stomach not rumbling in the proper direction):

• Ondansetron (aka Zofran) is available as a generic.  It used to be very expensive and reserved for cancer patients and patients who were prone to upchucking after surgery where said upchucking would compromise their lungs.  The generic, now available in the US, is cheap.  I was prescribed it for post-surgery upchucking and actually had to pay cash price for it (exactly $4.06) for a 15 days' supply since it was cheaper than my insurance's co-pay for generics.  One of my friends was prescribed it (way off label) for a Norovirus infection to palliate the symptoms and get her to eat well, and it worked for her at least.
  • Another option would be mirtazapine (Remeron).  Actually, I should have stated this one first, as I'm on this med for gastroparesis (I have it congenitally due to connective tissue disorder).  You probably know of it as an antidepressant (and epic sleep aid).  There is one US government reviewed case study of it working for gastroparesis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16959934 .
  • Of course, the above two require that you find a GP or at least an urgent care center where you live.  I am sure that constant upchucking is good cause to go see either of these.

But remember, whatever you do, remember that I'm not a doctor, just a computational medicine student. Heh.

Best of luck with finding a solution to this problem and the social situations you have encountered!!

@alltensedup--

Whoops, looks like I flagrantly ignored the fact that you've got your Klonopin back.  Heh.  Given that it's a slow drug to act in most people, could take a couple days.  I am very happy you were able to get this arranged.

I looked at the Mg supplement you posted and it appears to be Magnesium Citrate, also known to me as Magnesium Shit-rate (ask melissaw72 why, I suppose :smartass:).  If it causes, uh, an unexpected increase in "shit-rate", I would recommend a product containing Mg Gluconate instead (if you can find "Doctor's Best Magnesium Chelate", that's what I use personally at least).

In any event, maintaining proper mineral balance is always important in your body, be it calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, whatever, so make sure to get your RDA of these things...

I looked at the Mg supplement you posted and it appears to be Magnesium Citrate, also known to me as Magnesium Shit-rate (ask melissaw72 why, I suppose :smartass:).  If it causes, uh, an unexpected increase in "shit-rate", I would recommend a product containing Mg Gluconate instead (if you can find "Doctor's Best Magnesium Chelate", that's what I use personally at least).

Yes, magnesium citrate, in HIGH amounts will cause massive diarrhea.  I've experienced that.  A spoonful IMO shouldn't.  The supplements I take are magnesium vitamins, 1 - 3x/day, and my DR knows I take them.  I get Nature Made in the 400 mg gel pills, and they did not cause me to have diarrhea at all -- loose stools, but no diarrhea; but I take them spread out over the course of the day.  And after I was on them for awhile, they didn't have that effect.