CrazyBoards.org

I can take a bunch of Ativan and feel no change in my anxiety

How much are you prescribed?

Are you taking what your doc has prescribed, or are you taking more than prescribed in the hopes of getting more/faster relief, and thus running out sooner?

Benzos, for me at least, weren't the *actual* thing that helped me feel less anxious. They helped me get to a frame of mind where I could do the self care skills to help myself be less anxious.

I have a similar problem. There are different benzos if you think its the benzo that is causing you problems, though ativan tends to be pretty fast acting and strong at small dosages. I can go up to 2mg PRN, but that could be 8mg for me a day spread out. But I don't take 8 a day because usually 1-2 work.

I know you can take ativan sublingually if you need it to work faster if you are in a pinch, but I don't think faster will erase your anxiety.

Wooster makes a good point, above.  

People are different.  I am the same way with ativan (doesn't really work), although it seems to work for most people.  

Perhaps you need a different medication; there are other benzodiazepines: Just off the top of my head,  valium and Clonazepam (longer acting, but also take longer to work), and then xanax (quickest acting, some feel it is more easily abused, since the effects wear off and you want to take another dose)....

Do you take them regularly, or as a "prn" ?   That makes a difference, too.  Would make for a good discussion w/your doctor.  

Especially because you are running out, it is important to have a conversation with your prescriber.  You don't want to just run out; if you tell him/her that you have taken more in hopes of getting relief, the two of you might be able to work out another medication.

Good luck!  Anxiety can be really awful. 

Perhaps an antipsychotic would help you. Or you could change your Prozac to another antidepressant indicated for general anxiety disorder. But if you are truly paranoid an antipsychotic (such as Seroquel as the above poster suggested).  Many people like benzodiazapenes such as Ativan but they are addictive. If you are finding little to no relief after possibly increasing your Ativan intake/dosage. If you are willing to treat your severe anxiety with antipsychotics you could combine it with the Ativan. Low doses of Seroquel or often used for insomnia or anxiety, and if you are truly paranoid you could try a higher dose (where it has antipsychotic effects) after you have become accustomed to it. I've tried Seroquel for anxiety issues, mostly with some experimentation, and it worked very effectively, although I never sought to get it prescribed. 

Edited by Forbidden91

Hey Forbidden, unless you have prescriptive authority by virtue of having a medical license, it's not really appropriate to be suggesting specific meds to someone else. It's more appropriate to talk about your own experiences with a med and how it helped you in particular with your symptoms.

I have tried Seroquel at a low dosage, and did a wonderful job at sedating me and was great at reducing anxiety, and it wasn't addictive in any way. That is my personal experience with it. I also had Xanax at that time, and found that the benzodiazapene caused memory issues the next day as If I had been hung over. I hope this in some way helpful.