CrazyBoards.org

switching from Seroquel to Mirtazapine

Hi Guys,

I saw a new P doc today and she decided to switch me from 25 mg Seroquel to 15 mg Remeron for sleep.

I have never been on Remeron before and I don't know what to expect. Has anyone here gone from Seroquel to Remeron from Remeron to Seroquel? I am curious to know which one worked better for those who have been on both? 

25 mg of Seroquel -- I was still waking up in the middle of the night--- and couldn't fall back asleep. A lot of times I would have to take .5 Ativan in order to finally fall back asleep, sometimes after 4 or 5 hours. Didn't want to raise the dose as it makes me feel like brain-dead all day.

I'm hoping the Remeron will knock me out within an hour and I will be able to sleep with minimal waking for at least 8 hours. Maybe not feel too zombie the next day? ( asking for too much?) Hopefully the quality of sleep will be better then on Seroquel. Hopefully I won't gain any more weight ( again asking for too much?). 

Any experiences anyone would be willing to share with me before I drug myself up tonight? ZZZZz

thanks

oh and also wondering if Remeron helped anyone with depression issues as well as sleep. Like I want to sleep well but if Remeron helped me with my depression and anxiety that would be a bonus. 

Edited by sleepy borderline

I was on 40mg of Remeron and it put me right to sleep the first couple of months of using it. It unfortunately has  a very high "poop out" record, meaning it will work really well for only a short period of time before it stops doing it's job. That's what happened to me and I have heard it from other people too.

I am currently on 15mg of Remeron plus 50mg of Seroquel to fall asleep at night. Works wonders (almost every night, sometimes I still can't shut off my brain and supplement with klonopin).

One thing to expect with Remeron is that after about a 20 minutes of taking it you will get the INSANE munchies. I mean truly. Like you could eat a four course meal and still be hungry. A lot of people gain weight on it because of this, but that never happened with me. Every body is different, so maybe Remeron will work wonders for you. Let me know how it goes!

I've taken both to sleep. I'm on Remeron now as I grew tolerant to Seroquel. They both work well and the feeling of drowsiness is similar. Personally I found I needed 200mg of Seroquel to sleep even right at the start, whereas 15mg Remeron works for me. It doesn't seem to give me any next day drowsiness which is a plus. Like with Seroquel I do get the munchies shortly after taking a dose.

Good luck :)

Hi everyone,

I took 15 mg of Remeron last night instead of my usually 25 mg dose of Seroquel. I took it around 7:30 pm last night and by 9:00 I was out, so much so that my BF left to go to movie and it didn't wake me up ( usually him walking in and out of our apartment wakes me up). However at 12:00 am I woke up, ate some ice cream and went back to sleep. Woke up again a couple hours later when my BF came home from the movie, fell back asleep. Woke up at least one more time before waking up for good around 7:30 am this morning.

I feel pretty hungover this morning. Will try 15 mg again for a few nights, might increase then to 30 mg.

So far, I like Remeron MUCH better then Seroquel. Seroquel made my headache and my heart beat slower. None of that so far with Remeron. Seroquel even at 25 mg made me SO hungry about an hour after I took it. Remeron at 15 mg made me hungry a little bit, but not too bad, I even fell asleep originally without eating ( even though I got up in the middle of the night to eat). The best part is, this morning after taking my Prozac I feel a little better, pretty hopeful that Remeron will work on my depression too. Even though I am hungover, I feel less brain-fuzzy then I did after waking up on Seroquel.

So far I love this stuff. Any more experiences? Thanks for the responses and I will keep adding to this post in coming days.

One thing: Remeron is more sedating at lower doses than higher doses. So going up to 30mg might make it less effective. Guess the only way you will find out how it is for you, is to try it. 

One thing: Remeron is more sedating at lower doses than higher doses. So going up to 30mg might make it less effective. Guess the only way you will find out how it is for you, is to try it.

Yep if your main use for this med is sleep you are probably going to do best at 15mg and lower. In my experience there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the sedation between 7.5mg and 15mg. Just expect at 7.5 that you aren't going to get any kind of AD benefit. Is strictly a sleep med at that dose. It doesn't hurt to give 30mg a shot and see how it goes. I personally find it a little more activating and not nearly as good for sleep. Never took 45mg but me personally i believe it would become pretty sleep neutral at that point.

Ack... totally different reaction to the Remeron last night. Fell asleep at 10:00 p.m  and slept until 2:00 in the afternoon! Woke up hungover and fuzzy- brained. Does that subside with the longer I take it?

Maybe asking the Pdoc if I could up it to 30 mg now wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I was completely zombie the first two weeks and then it subsided. It knocks you out completely for a week or so, but should get better after that. I do like Remeron, however there have been two major sideeffects for me that i do not like:

1. Sleep paralysis for hours, for some time it happened every night. Now its maybe once a week, bit its disturbing and completely zombifies me the rest of the day.

2. Dry mouth caused my teeth to get super fucked up. Ill go the dentist every six months and suddenly have 5 more holes. I brush my teeth properly and everything but nope. I just started some other pills to stop the dry mouth from fucking me over.

That having been said, its worht it to me. Remeron works well on my brand of bipolar, and helps me always have good nights sleep. :)

I have never taken Seroquel, but I'm on remeron 45mg, and I still get the sedation from it.  I found the next day hangover went away with a little time and increase in the dose.  I can sleep pretty well through the night on it.  I have been on it for about 9 months. It used to knock me out quickly, but now it takes a while to go to sleep, but once I am asleep, I usually stay that way. 

I was completely zombie the first two weeks and then it subsided. It knocks you out completely for a week or so, but should get better after that. I do like Remeron, however there have been two major sideeffects for me that i do not like:

1. Sleep paralysis for hours, for some time it happened every night. Now its maybe once a week, bit its disturbing and completely zombifies me the rest of the day.

2. Dry mouth caused my teeth to get super fucked up. Ill go the dentist every six months and suddenly have 5 more holes. I brush my teeth properly and everything but nope. I just started some other pills to stop the dry mouth from fucking me over.

That having been said, its worht it to me. Remeron works well on my brand of bipolar, and helps me always have good nights sleep. :)

oh my the dry mouth has been so bad on it. Seroquel at that low of a dose DID NOT do that. Wow-- pretty bad!

However I think I will stick it through. Sounds the side effects will go away after a while, so it's worth a try. At least it knocks me out right away.

• 2 years later...