CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
ukbklonde

Sinclair Method to Eating Disorders

I'm a person who has used Naltrexone as per the Sinclair Method (1 x 50mg 1 hour before drinking alcohol) to beat my destructive drinking and save my life. Now I no longer drink alcoholically the old binge, comfort eating and bulimia has come to the fore. I've always had a tendency to over eat but I can be so controlled at other times. I'm also an athlete but do have a proper nutrition plan which I do stick to however when I let loose I really let loose. This is affecting my confidence, my work and my sport. I am really fed up and want to change.

Since I already have a Naltrexone prescription and support from my GP (I'm UK based) I'd like to explore using it to help with these issues. I've also had approximately 60 hours of therapy with a PCC/TA private counsellor, which I'm currently doing as part of a group although I've booked myself a 1-2-1 this week so I can bring this issue to the fore instead of thinking I can deal with it and it'll go away.

If anyone can help me with how to use Naltrexone as part of this I'd appreciate it.

I'm not on any other meds although I was prescribed Prozac about 15 years ago.

If anyone would like to know what the Sinclair Method is here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Method it works on directly breaking the link between alcohol and endorphins, for me this means I no longer have any cravings for alcohol whether I take Naltrexone or not. I only have to take the Naltrexone when I drink in order to maintain this, and I drink like a 'normal' person - ie can get drunk if I want, or decide one glass is enough. Alcohol just doesn't bother me on the days I don't drink or take the med.

Edited by ukbklonde

I take naltrexone 50 mg 3x/day to help with food cravings and it is very helpful.  Idk what I'd do without it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By HonestlyHadEnough
      Hello.

I can't remember a time when food wasn't THE main focus in my life.  Even when I'm so full and can't eat another bite...my thoughts wander to what else I'll eat later.  Diets, eating plans, Weight Watchers Summer Camps, gastric bypass, journaling what I eat and/or exercising will START to give results the first few weeks and then my body just basically says "F you" and shuts down.  No more weight loss.  If I can't get the gratification of weekly seeing measurable change in my efforts...I'm right back to food.
      Overeating has ruined my life.  Whoever I COULD have been when I started out a sweet little girl was squandered when I somehow started using food to placate myself VERY YOUNG.  Then it became a horrible guilty, shameful and "what's wrong with me" set of glasses I looked at life through.  I was constantly pushed by my mom to stop eating, go on a diet and exercise.  She tried EVERYTHING until well into my adult life.  She too had weight/eating issues and knew what life would be like for me.  She tried to help the only way she knew how but it set up a terrible vicious cycle of sneaking food to make myself feel better and loved and treated special...that's what food feels like to me.  When I look at my family dynamics I can see all the ways life in general contributed to this addiction.  But breaking out of it has been a constant struggle.  Now for the last 2-3 years I've literally given up.  I'm 58 now and it feels like, short of a miracle, I'll die fat.  My hips, spine and knees are in terrible shape (of course they are).
      Being fat set up a way of thinking and acting in all relationships with people that I also am exhausted with.  I honestly with all my heart and fiber of my being think and feel that pleasing someone else will keep them in my life and they'll pay what little attention to me they are willing to give me.  Not all people have been horrible, I've had some great friends over my life...but of course, THEY HAD LIVES and I was never the center of anyone else's life.  I would have done anything through my mid forties to make someone else the center of my life in hopes of finally finding someone who wanted to team up and walk through life together.  Now?  I'm too old.  I'm too set in my ways.  It's just not as important.  I'm past the age of finding someone to "be a couple" with...no I'll never define who I am that way.  I'm too old for kids and of course at this point I should've had grandchildren.  There will be no one to take care of me as I get older.  I literally hope God takes me out while I can still walk and am living on my own.  I never want to be institutionalized in an assisted living/nursing home type of situation.
      Thanks for reading this.