CrazyBoards.org

I need some advice

wakko926

what to do about this pain in my neck?!

Am currently taking Lortab but I have built up such a tolerance for it - it doesn't really work anymore - not to mention the addictiveness of it which I have been thru once already.  I have currently had fusions done on 4-7 and am looking at #3 sometime next year - but what can I do to alleviate the pain until then?  It is causing me sleep problems and other problems as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wakko,

I am sure my condition is not as severe as yours. I do have an old injury to L4,L5, and S1. For the last year or so I have had a lot of neck pain due to ortheoarthritis in my neck, C2-4.

I take Skelaxin. It is not a pain killer but a muscle relaxer but it can release some of the tension and does get rid of some of the pain.

It may not be of any help to you if you have had to take pain killers in order to try to deal with the pain thus far.

Good Luck fighting the pain.

Erika

If it's not something that would be dangerous to whatever was causing the pain, you might consider massage or even accupuncture (currently accepted by mainstream medicine for pain - though I have not personally tried it.) In addition to muscle relaxers. Might help.

• 4 weeks later...

sparky - wish I could help.  I can definitely relate to what you are going thru. The narcotics now a days seem to cause more pain than relief.  I'm afraid to ask my doc for something different - thinking he may cut me off all together.  The massages do help somewhat even tho it is short term.  Have you tried them?

Gonna try some Soma for now, see how well that works.

This works great for me. And SWIMMING! Get thee to a pool all those with chronic back pain! I swear it has been the best for me. I worked my way up from 5 minutes of laps to 30 minutes, three times a week. Then 15 minutes of stretches in a therapy pool. And then the jacuzzi. This works very well for me.

Breeze

lots of drugs - ;)

rolling over isn't the problem - it's mostly just trying to find a comfortable position.  I spend most of the night tossing and turning because one position makes the pain worse and wakes me up.  I would definitely try to see if you can get massages or I have heard that spas help alot with arthritis.  Good luck.

Keep me updated - otay, Sparkie?

• 1 month later...

glad to see ya back, Sparkie - although sorry to hear about your fall - OUCH!

I have the same problem about running out of pain meds before the next refill and it is not fun.  I went to see my doc for my 3 month checkup last week - the last fusion he did is doing fine but the arthritis on the other joints is really bad.  He says "I told you this would probably be a 2 part process"  meaning definitely more surgery.  My hubby is not happy since the last surgery almost put us in bankruptcy.  He also told me that I have bursitis in my right shoulder.  Is that anything like you have on your clavicle?

I am not sure about doing the aloe & cod thing since I already take medication for my stomach.  I am prone to ulcers.  So much fun!

Hope you heal fast.......

wakko

Archived