CrazyBoards.org

I have awful PMDD, and my current birth control does seem to be helping with my mood. 

However, I am frustrated with the side effects, mainly increased appetite, bloating, weight gain, and breakthrough bleeding.

Has anyone found a BCP that does not have annoying side effects?  I don't know whether this is the most I can expect from a pill and whether I just need to adjust my expectations.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

I personally can't do HBC myself, like, at all. Though I don't think I ever did a mixed hormone pill, just POP's and the shot which was also progesterone only. But they made me batshit insane so couldn't do that and got an IUD.

I didn't have any physical symptoms, but I'd imagine that they might be tolerable if it helped with something like PMDD. Though, weight gain and bloating is always horrendous for me, personally.

Have you tried different hormones with the pills, or just a certain kind? I believe that the POP's are slighlty less effective than mixed hormone pills, but don't quote me. I've heard that women can have fewer side effects on those, but who knows anything about that really anyway? I mean, everyone is different, so there's that.

And then, have you tried AD's for your PMDD? Probably, but a lot of people swear by them. Sometimes you only have to take them two weeks before your period, I guess rather than being on them constantly, though you pretty much are at that point anyway. Of course you always risk weight gain with anything.

I had spotting  (breakthrough bleeding) the entire like, year I was on HBC. Every single day.

I'd say the best way to know is to mess around with it, if you're brave enough and the side effects are not tolerable to you.

Good luck with that.

If only there were never any side effects.

Shop around until you find one that works for you.

There are hundreds of different combination of HBC out there. Your body will react differently to different ones. It will react differently to generics vs brand names. Keep trying.

Some I found intolerable. The one that I'm on now I adore. I only have experience with estrogeneric HBC, but even within that narrow category I've managed to find rejects and a great one.

I've heard people notice the difference.

I've never tried, but I have drug insurance so I use the brand name (and I don't think that mine comes in generic). There is a difference with generics; the hormones and chemicals must be the same, but the pill formulations and fillers can be different. Sometimes people respond to that, I guess.

I take Marvelon - I've mainly had good side effects. No cramping, mood is more stable, don't have to deal with spotting, my skin is clearer. My sister is also on Marvelon, which she finds okay but not great, but says its the best she's tried so far (the ones she was previously on had a LOT of bad side effects to the point where everyone was noticing the changes). My only issue is that my blood pressure is slightly elevated on it - not enough to pose a medical emergency, but its something I have to watch. Her main issue is that she's gained weight while on it. 

The generic vs brand name thing - for the most part any minor difference would not be a problem since like Rosie said, the inactive ingredients are what make the difference. I believe that so far the only drugs that people should be wary of are meds that require specific blood concentrations to be effective i.e. blood thinners because if they are a little bit off then they might not have the same effect. But some people swear they notice a difference between meds. I had someone try to tell me that my asthma is worse because I use the generic form of Ventolin. I just stared at them instead of answering because I know that's ridiculous, but she insisted that I should pay extra for the brand name. I've been using inhalers since I was a child and the only difference I've noticed is the taste, which is slightly off. 

Oh, and Drospirenone, also known by the brand names Yaz and Yazmin made by Bayer has been constantly recalled since it came out, it can be dangerous to take, so I hope everyone stays wary of it.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/yaz-and-yasmin-birth-control-pills-linked-to-23-deaths-health-canada-documents-1.1321110

Edited by radicalfeminist

Omg thisis the third time typing this.

"Other factors contributing to the (adverse reaction) could be a person's health conditions or other health products they are using at the same time,” the agency said in an email to CTV News.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/yaz-and-yasmin-birth-control-pills-linked-to-23-deaths-health-canada-documents-1.1321110#ixzz2XqVKW0Gv"

They even admitted that the deaths cannot be attributed to any health product aka the yaz. So just how does that article prove yaz should be off the market when they even admit they do not know the cause of these 23 deaths.

I take yaz generic and it saved my life. I would have died from blood loss. I was severely anemic. I was ready to throw in the towel. I seriously thought I'd end up dead. Yaz generic stopped the HEAVY non stop bleeding that went on for months.

I tried several other BC pills. They really messed me up so much. Mood wise and also side effects and then the non stop bleeding.

Lifequake I hope you find a pill that works 100% for you. Yaz works for me and I don't plan on stopping it until they pry it out of my hands. Keep trying different kinds of BC pills until you find one that suits you best. You do not have to put up with side effects like that.

Not just the deaths - but the 333 cases of adverse reactions to Yasmin and the 267 from Yaz are what bugs me. It also says that women on Yaz had a 1.5 to 3 times the higher risk of blood clots. The reason I feel strongly about it is because a friend of mine developed a pulmonary embolism on Yaz. She was perfectly healthy and on no other medications. I just am wary of people taking this, obviously it's great that it helped you, but if you're someone with an elevated risk for clotting, etc. then it can be really dangerous to take Yaz and people should know of this. 

Edited by radicalfeminist

That is why birth control is a prescription drug - so that people can work with their doctors to figure out if the benefits outweigh the risks, for them.

Do we know how many people the 225 represent? Is it out of 500? Or 1000? Or 10 000? There is a big difference in relative risk, there.

Fwiw the one I'm on now has a clotting risk similar to yaz. So, I worked with my doctor to reduce the risks, and made some lifestyle changes to allow me to continue to use it.

OP, how are you getting on?

Lifequake, any updates? Have you gotten a chance to talk with your dr about trying a new pill? I know it hasn't been that long, but I'm just thinking of you and hoping you will be able to find one that helps your mood and has less or no side effects. Good luck and keep us posted!

And one last thing for RF (no more from me though because I hate to derail the OP's thread):

"These included fainting spells, non-fatal pulmonary embolisms and blood clots in the legs. (So, fainting is included in the 333 adverse effects. Not JUST blood clots. And 333 side effects out of what? 500? 2,000,000? I'd like to know that too.)

Some of the women were taking other medications at the time of their adverse events, such as asthma or ADHD medications, while others were taking the birth control pills alone.

Blood clots have long been a well-known, though rare, side effect for ALL birth control pills.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/yaz-and-yasmin-birth-control-pills-linked-to-23-deaths-health-canada-documents-1.1321110#ixzz2XtdvhrWu" (Emphasis on "ALL" is mine and statement after the first sentence is mine)

Not just the deaths - but the 333 cases of adverse reactions to Yasmin and the 267 from Yaz are what bugs me. It also says that women on Yaz had a 1.5 to 3 times the higher risk of blood clots. The reason I feel strongly about it is because a friend of mine developed a pulmonary embolism on Yaz. She was perfectly healthy and on no other medications. I just am wary of people taking this, obviously it's great that it helped you, but if you're someone with an elevated risk for clotting, etc. then I think its really dangerous to take Yaz and people should know of this. 

All meds have adverse reactions, 300 is actually low.

Yeah, everything you're saying is true. I think I initially let my personal experiences cloud my rational judgment here. It happens, I guess what I'm more worried about is those who go on BC without knowing that there are risks - because I know there are a lot of doctors who won't take the time to go through them all properly. But that's a different thing entirely.

I want to stop taking this pill, but I'm on the fence.  My OBGYN said that it was up to me to weigh the pro's and con's of continuing (improved mood versus bleeding/appetite increase).

I'm afraid to try a different pill right now, because some of them REALLY wreak havoc with my mood.  It's a tricky decision.

Thanks for your input and understanding.  Why is being a female so complicated?  ;)

My doc recently tried me on an estrogen only pill and it was bad for water retention and weight gain.

Now I'm on a progesterone/estrogen mix and my body is a LOT happier.