CrazyBoards.org

So... I took very low doses of risperdal and seroquel in April, and they seem to have affected my appetite in some way. I'm off the meds for about 2 months now, but my appetite is still affected. Is it normal? Weren't the side effects supposed to wear off after such time?

Affecting prolactin levels they often decrease libido and sex drive. But how exactly they do affect appetite? What hormone or neurotransmitter they affect that triggers this result?

it could be dopamine. In one case where I had akathisia on risperidone, I also had mind fog and a huge appetite, im sure they were all caused by dopamine and the way risperidone affected it at that point. If I didnt have any of those I didnt have any of the others.

But if your side effects stayed it might be something else. Some AAPs increase an enzyme that triggers hunger and blocking histamine might emulate that effect as well. Generally I think with side effects that can be either permanent or not, nobody really knows how a SE can turn permanent. My guess is something of that sort was too much for your body to handle so it "adapted" it.

Edited by konings

So... I took very low doses of risperdal and seroquel in April, and they seem to have affected my appetite in some way. I'm off the meds for about 2 months now, but my appetite is still affected. Is it normal? Weren't the side effects supposed to wear off after such time?

Clozaril did this to me also; side effects never wore off.  I had to go on another med to help my appetite.