CrazyBoards.org

Couch to 5k - Has Anyone Here Done It?

I've just finished week 6 (although I started it 2 months ago). Has anyone else here tried it, or something similar? If so, did you notice any benefits, MI related or otherwise? Or did you get an injury and give up? And if anyone has finished it, what did you do next??

For me: It is good to see my cardiovascular fitness going from horrific to not half bad. And jogging isn't making me as tired as it used to (it used to wipe me out for the rest of the day, now not so much). Plus there is a nice sense of achievement that I haven't felt in a while (24 minutes of non stop jogging today!). I can't say I've noticed any other benefits, like a noticeable improvement in mood or better appetite. I'm definitely going to keep it up if I can though. Even if it never touches the depression, it's still doing good things for my body.

I haven't been measuring distance, only time (so it's really more like couch to 30 minutes jogging without a break). I'm almost finished, I'm at 24 minutes straight now and even though I jog pretty slowly that's probably a little less than 3 km. As long as both feet are off the ground at the same time it still counts!

It was a real effort to jog for 150 or 200 metres to begin with, so I'm a lot fitter now than I was two months ago. Actually, come to think of it, I got started about 9 or 10 weeks ago. I repeated here and there because I couldn't finish the jogging bits and took breaks if I didn't feel well enough (like if I was crushingly tired or I wasn't up for leaving the house if not absolutely necessary).

So far my body seems to be catching up ok. I've had a bit of muscle soreness and the beginning on shin splints but those have gone. I'm definitely not a natural athlete but I'm quite thin (so it's not so hard on my joints) and also young (this may also help, I don't really know).

I'm not really into running either but I don't have access to a gym, pool or bike (I'm poor) and it is fairly convenient.

I have friends who did this, and loved it. One of them has begun running marathons. I can't run because I have a knee that was reconstructed.

Squish, that is amazing.

Do you enjoy it? I mean as an example, when I was in field hockey 30 years ago, we would do "circuits," in which we would run in a circle around the playing field, and then stop and do whatever our coach told us to do (push ups, jumping jacks, squats, etc.) for 45 minutes. For the first 30 minutes, you want to drop dead in your tracks. But all of the sudden, it became challenging and fun at about that point. Endorphins?

Is it still something you have to make yourself do?

I'm on week 5!

I LOVE it. Went from barely being able to run for 90 seconds straight to now having no trouble moving forward in the program. The way it mixes walking and running makes it very easy to slowly build endurance starting from nothing, and keeps it interesting using the timed sections.

I've repeated weeks, mixed it with other exercise, and I haven't lost my endurance. Having goals really has made me able to stick to an exercise routine, and now it's just a regular part of my day.

Mental health wise I feel it's been huge in giving me increased self esteem, and keeping my recent depression relatively manageable and treatable.

I got a knees injury, but took some time off running to heal and do physical therapy, and now I'm back to it.

The best thing I notice is how much healthier my heart is. Between this and my other cardio (which is now way easier too) my heart rate rarely goes above 145 even when I'm pushing, when I used to have trouble keeping it below 170.

I definitely recommend it. I had never run before in my life, and now I love it. It felt impossible at first, but now I feel like the 5K is attainable soon :)

I haven't done this program but after having not run for years (after having been a runner as a kid) I did a 5k program, and after a while of sticking to that distance, did a 10k one (which through indirectly I met my partner, who is good for my MI), and now I run ultramarathons (my further distance is 50 miles).  I find running and exercise helps regulate my anxiety, and to some extent my depression, though it doesn't solve it.

crtclms, thanks! ^_^  I don't exactly enjoy it but it has got less unpleasant as I've got fitter. (I might get actual pleasure from it if I wasn't depressed though. The endorphins aren't getting a fair chance!) My competitive side means I get a sort of satisfaction from seeing myself improve and run further each week so even if I'm not having fun I am getting a sense of achievement. That spurs me on enough that I want to get out and do it.

lwp273, I don't monitor my heart rate but I don't feel like I'm dying or get stitches anymore. I'm taking this as evidence that my heart has upped its game at the whole pumping thing too. It really works, who'd have thought it? It's good to hear that it's going so well for you and that you're loving it!  :D 

jarn, you run ultramarathons now? Fifty (50) miles? Wow! I don't know if I'll ever be able to do something like that but I like the idea of sticking with 5k for a bit (once I get there) and then maybe working my way up to 10k.

• 3 months later...

I used to jog 20+ minutes every day until I hit a wall and suffered an exertion headache that lasted weeks and had me unable to exert myself for months, so this time I am doing C25K I have started with brisk walking 10minutes 3 times a day and once my feet stop hurting I will be doing C25K with brisk walking on off days to keep my metabolism and mood up.

After I complete C25K I am gonna do 5K210K

Y'all are impressive.

I started C25K at one point but gave it up in favor of longer periods of walking.

Maybe someday... that's not now... I will have the motivation to get back to it.

My body hates EVERYTHING about running.

But my brain has this idea that it would be nice if I could run a mile without barfing.

I think walking for longer periods of is just as good as running, from a health point of view anyway. I kind of did it for the challenge and because I'm chronically late for things so being able to run a couple of miles without feeling like I'm dying is actually useful.

When I do go out (I can do the full 5k now!) the first mile feels awkward and uncomfortable but then my muscles warm up, I find my breathing rhythm and suddenly it's almost fun. I suppose it's a matter of individual opinion on whether it's worth running all the horrible first miles to get there though.