CrazyBoards.org

Typicals appear to be very effective

I took 1/4 of the final dose of perphenazine today evening and I am already feeling better and my mind is more organized. If this is gonna continue I can expect something very effective, although I am yet to see the side effects too.

I just wanted confirmation that most people do NOT find typicals much more effective than atypicals?

Edited by konings

Well, I don't know about most people but I certainly prefer the older antipsychotics. Perphenazine is actually the one I prefer. I don't know how to describe it other than it calms my brain. Navane is pretty good too. Now, Haldol and Thorazine, those you can keep. Perphenazine has far fewer side effects for me. Now that I think about it, I don't think I had any side effects from perphenazine. It certainly didn't have any of the problems with weight gain that I've had on the AAPs. 

I think the typicals were generally effective and they brought MI out of the dark ages. Atypicals were supposed to be a breakthrough for the Rx of SZ, SZA and BP because they supposedly had less SEs, especially EPS. But the weight gain and risk of diabetes of the earlier atypicals seem just as severe. The typicals still have a role to play.

The atypicals for me were horrible, so the typicals have been really helpful, my psych immediately put me on Thorazine while I was IP, and it knocked out my psychosis. And there were no side effects for me, except increased visual hallucinations initially, which didn't really concern me.

I think the typicals were generally effective and they brought MI out of the dark ages. Atypicals were supposed to be a breakthrough for the Rx of SZ, SZA and BP because they supposedly had less SEs, especially EPS. But the weight gain and risk of diabetes of the earlier atypicals seem just as severe. The typicals still have a role to play.

Yeah and why do you think they have a role to play?

We have so many atypicals so being effective APs is a trivial feature. However they indeed appear to work well.

What Im looking for is someone who has tried both did not find typicals notably better in terms of effectiveness.