CrazyBoards.org

Latest Epsiode Of "MI And Poor"

My aunt just died today. My brother just texted me. Living on disability there is no way I can come up with the fare necessary to return for her funeral. I also missed my grandmother's funeral thanks to being out of work at the time. I sure hope that I am able to return for my mothers funeral.

I guess I should add this experience to the wonderful list here:

Being Poor

I thought I had posted a comment - weird.  Anyway, I am sorry for your loss, and doubly sorry that you can't afford the trip back to attend her funeral.

The link you provided made for some very compelling - and sad - reading.  Anyone who's ever been poor will relate and be able to add something to the list.  If it's any comfort, I was once poor when my children were very young, and things eventually turned around for me in a big way.  There's always hope.  

Sorry about your aunt.  I don't know if they still do this, but the airlines (a few years ago anyway) use to have what they called a "bereavement fare".  It was a drastically reduced price on a ticket when a relative dies.  Its worth a call to give a shot.

Hi,

I'm sorry about the loss of your aunt.

Thank you for that website. I don't know if its appropriate to put this here while talking about your aunt. Feel free to kick me.

The money order thing. Please. Im not going to buy a pack of checks for $20 when I would only write 1 every month anyway.  I'd rather get a MO for 50 cents from the grocery store.

Unfortunately teeth are a big thing in the US. My parents didn't have the money or insurance. When I became an adult owning a house with a husband and having dental insurance that covered orthodontia for me - I was too fearful of what might happen should I be in the middle of tx and the house, husband, and dental ins go away. And they did. And now Im poor again. But ever so thankful for SSDI and medicare. 

db

• 3 weeks later...

It has been three weeks now since the memorial -- which as noted I was not able to attend. I made do with a long phone call to my mother.

What can we do? Try to refocus some of our more comfortable -- and oblivious --  members on the social context of MI. They need to be periodically reminded that far too many of their fellow mentally ill are alone and poor.

Just saw this. I'm sorry for your loss. Is there anything we can do?

Edited by Retromancer

<snip>

What can we do? Try to refocus some of our more comfortable -- and oblivious --  members on the social context of MI. They need to be periodically reminded that far too many of their fellow mentally ill are alone and poor. 

Being poor and having a near non-existant support group sucks, I could (and do) gripe about it quite a bit.  But I really don't think that people who have a few bucks, friends, and options, should be shamed for not "feeling my pain".  There are people, literally, watching their children starve to death (always have been),yet I still manage to sleep at night.  

I"m not trying to preach some "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" crap.  I know that sometimes (often) people are stuck in a social, economic situation and that's just the way it is.  And if it helps anyone feel any better (or any worse for that matter), there are probably people who we could point the finger at for either helping to cause the imbalance or others just don't care.  But it won't change anything.  

But mostly, I don't think there are a whole lot of folk around here who really "oblivious" to the fact that some of us have less in the way of resources and options.  

I have to completely disagree with you eldorado. And I feel as if this is a thread-jack to retromancer. I don't know what to do...I'll write it and like it or hate it.

I had a very real conversation with a real priest that went to undergrad with me. (This was a few months ago). I was doing ok, I wasn't asking him for help, I was just trying to show him how life is for a MI person on ssdi.

Him: Your family can help you out.

me: no. my dad is dead. my mom takes care of my grandma. and my brother and sister refuse to help financially.

Him: What do you have to pay for?

me: [duh!] rent, utilities, food, prescription insurance, rx's, car payment, car insurance, my phone, clothes for growing daughter, co-pays for all our counseling and doctor appointments, etc...This is every month, not a one time thing. Yes, I do get ssdi but it barely makes it. Would your church be able to sponsor someone with these needs on a monthly basis. Every month until the person had some kind of drastic change?

Him: no.

me: well, then don't be so political about government services when you are preaching to your congregation.

true story. Its in the annals of FB somewhere...

db

I have to completely disagree with you eldorado. And I feel as if this is a thread-jack to retromancer. I don't know what to do...I'll write it and like it or hate it.

I had a very real conversation with a real priest that went to undergrad with me. (This was a few months ago). I was doing ok, I wasn't asking him for help, I was just trying to show him how life is for a MI person on ssdi.

Him: Your family can help you out.

me: no. my dad is dead. my mom takes care of my grandma. and my brother and sister refuse to help financially.

Him: What do you have to pay for?

me: [duh!] rent, utilities, food, prescription insurance, rx's, car payment, car insurance, my phone, clothes for growing daughter, co-pays for all our counseling and doctor appointments, etc...This is every month, not a one time thing. Yes, I do get ssdi but it barely makes it. Would your church be able to sponsor someone with these needs on a monthly basis. Every month until the person had some kind of drastic change?

Him: no.

me: well, then don't be so political about government services when you are preaching to your congregation.

true story. Its in the annals of FB somewhere...

db

I must of misunderstood.  When I read what Retromancer wrote, I saw;

our more comfortable -- and oblivious --  members

and I thought that the finger was being pointed at CB'ers, not society in general.  

I am always ready to believe that I could be in the wrong.  If so, I would like to genuinely apologize, and not one of those weasley apologies where you don't apologize for anything.  I thought that the message was that there are people on the site who were better off than others and they were being called to account for not caring, or even being aware, that there are people on this site who a just barely getting by hand to mouth and have very few options or opportunities.  If I misunderstood the implication, I'm sorry for my remarks.  Not a petulant apology, but a big, fat, "I was wrong, please forgive me."