CrazyBoards.org

Yes I am a psych nurse. No I dont like pushing all the pills.

Hey all,

Just a few lines for shits and giggles. I have been nursing for more than 10 years and have found that we are in an uphill battle for control of our health. I now run a neurofeedback clinic with some amazing results and as such feel quite confident in how I present what I do. I am happy to discuss how it works and the science behind it, but I suggest that everyone does their own research into what works for them.

I am looking into research regarding neuroscience and how cortisol changes brain function. It's systemic affects on the body and the change state of homeostasis and how it impacts on health and immune function. There is some redicovery of health science now that is becoming mainstream and accessible. I want to educate everyone that the brain is more than just chemicals, there are circuits and patterns that are forming and reforming moment by moment. we need to develop the healthy ones.

I currently train for triathlons and I live my own triad of health - Gut health (Nutritional), Physical, and Brain health(Neurological).

I am trying to work out auto signatures on here but suffice to say that

Past Dx (not official): SAD, ASD

Current Dx: Sometimes being a c***.

Past Tx: Life/ Neurofeedback

Current Tx: Deciding to live life/ Neurofeedback

Hi! Welcome. I am a third/fourth year nursing student looking to be a psych nurse! Your research sounds really interesting. I was a participant in a research study that some of the nursing staff at my university did last year regarding cortisol levels. I don't know too much about the details of the research, but of course my salivary cortisol levels were through the roof and I messed up the study as a sort of outlier haha. Anyway, welcome again and I look forward to seeing you "around". :)

A nursing student... umm woking to support study and clinical placement with no money. Sounds just like every student doing nursing to me! And we wonder why we get stressed. Will be here off and on. Great to talk to you and good luck with the carreer!

Haha, tell me about it. Thank you!

Just a few things FYI:

This is a first person site. If you don't identify as being mentally ill (per your sig), this is really not the place for you. Accordingly, coming here as a psych nurse and not a patient isn't really welcome. We do have mental health professionals on the site, but they tread very carefully because it could cause them and the site legal issues if they are posting as practitioners and not as patients.

Your topic title seems anti-meds. That's not going to fly here. Though your neurofeedback stuff and dealing with your self-diagnosed MI through alternative methods may be appropriate on some of the boards here (academic interests, alternative treatments), in general you'll find the community here is pro-medication.

I'm also seeing that you may be approaching the site from an angle of selling your services or recruiting volunteers for your research, and that sort of things needs to be cleared with the admins.

Thank you, Dianthus.   You covered all of the points that I intended to mention.

DebtSlave, you are welcome to hang out and read here, but please post about your first-hand experience with your own mental illness issues.  If you want to talk about what goes on in the clinic, that would go in the academic interests forum, or the one about alternative treatments.

If you didn't read the User Agreement when you signed up, you need to do that before you post again.  As Dianthus points out, we are a first-person site, and it looks to me like you don't have an MI diagnosis.

olga

I have no desire to sell my clinic services here, nor use this forum for recruiting for volunteers.  I read the disclaimer and I am very aware of the limits of my practice. (The site is pretty good at suspending and banning people)

I am being honest about my views and feelings about my own and everyones mental health. It is a rich tapestry that we call this life. My desire to hang out and chat will be about my own experience good and bad, although I dont expect to post much. We are all on this continuum of wellness. Mine and everyone I know's desire is to be better.

I hope that reaffirms the site's guidelines enough for you and the moderators.

This makes me feel a bit itchy.

I would love love love to be better MI wise, as well as physical. I've accepted Im probably not going to get "better" in the realm of mental illness. If someday Im able to handle more than now - that would be wonderful. Im not cheating myself. I just know what's happened in the last 9 years since Ive been officially dx'd along with the rest of my life's oddness.

The tone of writing is just too wishy-washy for me. I can't make heads or tails. And that's why Im  not a MI professional.

db

(The site is pretty good at suspending and banning people)

No, actually we try very hard NOT to ban people.  The site administrator, Velvet Elvis, is always very clear with the moderators that we want this to be a place for Mentally Interesting people who don't fit in other places.  We don't care if people curse, if they bitch about their medical team, if they hate their parents, or if they tell us they don't want to take meds.  That's understandable, and as mentally ill people, we moderators "get" it and want even difficult, cranky people to feel at home at Crazyboards.

However, if someone behaves like a bigger asshole than the moderators, they get warned 2 or 3 times, and then they are suspended.  If it continues, they finally get banned.  We have had members who said to other members "So go kill yourself."  That is not acceptable.  We have had members post to someone in the middle of a psychotic break that they shouldn't take their meds.  That is also not acceptable.  Anything that is potentially damaging to the wellbeing of our members can be grounds for a warning or a suspension.  In order to be banned, you have to consistently act like a jackass and disregard our few rules.

olga

AnotherDebtSlave -

I gather, from your original post, that you're a psych nurse who runs a clinic who wants to educate everyone about the brain but suggest that everyone does their own research into what works for them.  And you're sharing all this wisdom "for shits and giggles."  You've never had an official diagnosis, and your current diagnosis is "Sometimes being a c***".

Allow me to gently clarify our position:  We don't let anybody sashay in here and start waving their psych credentials around, legitimate or otherwise.  Doing so runs the risk of causing vulnerable members to view such persons as alternate care providers and give disproportionate weight to advice that may not be applicable to their situation, and even question the instructions and advice of their own mental health professionals.

While the rest of the scientific and medical research community may be eagerly awaiting your revelations about the most complex organ in the human body, here at CB we accept that the brain, its structures and functions remain poorly understood by science, and must therefore take your offered "education" under advisement.

To be clear, we do not run these boards "for shits and giggles" - people suffering from the torment of mental illness come here in serious need for serious help.  We take them seriously.  Sometimes it's quite literally a matter of life or death for them to find support they've found nowhere else.  Your approach does not seem consistent with our philosophy, our hygiene, or our sense of humor.

Lastly, we are a peer-support forum, which in this instance means that this is a place for persons with diagnosed mental illness to interface with other persons with diagnosed mental illness for the purpose of sharing common experience.  By definition, those not diagnosed with mental illness have no relevant experience to contribute to the conversation.  It does not appear that you meet this basic criterion for participation - though you give me no reason to doubt that your "current DX" is spot-on.  (And it's okay to say "cunt" here.)

Good-day.

No, really.

Cerberus

Luna-      I've seen ASD  as an acronym  for "Austism Spectrum Disorder" .  I have no idea if that is what it means in the signature you're asking about.   Just an idea.    

It's also seen in cardiology as "Atrial Sept____ Disorder"  (I don't have the middle word handy..... but it's a heart defect thing.)

• 2 weeks later...

No, actually we try very hard NOT to ban people.  The site administrator, Velvet Elvis, is always very clear with the moderators that we want this to be a place for Mentally Interesting people who don't fit in other places.  We don't care if people curse, if they bitch about their medical team, if they hate their parents, or if they tell us they don't want to take meds.  That's understandable, and as mentally ill people, we moderators "get" it and want even difficult, cranky people to feel at home at Crazyboards.

However, if someone behaves like a bigger asshole than the moderators, they get warned 2 or 3 times, and then they are suspended.  If it continues, they finally get banned.  We have had members who said to other members "So go kill yourself."  That is not acceptable.  We have had members post to someone in the middle of a psychotic break that they shouldn't take their meds.  That is also not acceptable.  Anything that is potentially damaging to the wellbeing of our members can be grounds for a warning or a suspension.  In order to be banned, you have to consistently act like a jackass and disregard our few rules.

olga

If goal is to create such place... I am not sure it's been achieved. Most bipolar boards are "take yo meds" boards. Asides of Icarus and maybe bipolar forum on Psychcentral which involved interestingly. So you have "take yo medsX1000000" place. Approaches outside of the mainstream psychiatry are shut down or minimized in name of "pro-meds site". When mentioning other treatments, people seem to feel obliged to mention being on meds, being pro-meds or not wanting to get off meds. You can bitch about doctors or meds, but you will get "meds and doctors saved lives" (go in corner and feel bad for talking shit about them). It seems to be a trigger reflex here.

Is nice you can use adult language here... but eh. Is not definitelly ubersuperalternative place, despite the humours descriptions of particular forums.

olga

If goal is to create such place... I am not sure it's been achieved. Most bipolar boards are "take yo meds" boards. Asides of Icarus and maybe bipolar forum on Psychcentral which involved interestingly. So you have "take yo medsX1000000" place. Approaches outside of the mainstream psychiatry are shut down or minimized in name of "pro-meds site". When mentioning other treatments, people seem to feel obliged to mention being on meds, being pro-meds or not wanting to get off meds. You can bitch about doctors or meds, but you will get "meds and doctors saved lives" (go in corner and feel bad for talking shit about them). It seems to be a trigger reflex here.

Is nice you can use adult language here... but eh. Is not definitelly ubersuperalternative place, despite the humours descriptions of particular forums.

First of all, this isn't just a place for bipolar folks.  We also have lots of members with a broad spectrum of mental illnesses.  The rules we have apply to everyone---depressed, schizophrenic, borderline personality disorder people, etc.

We don't represent our site as being ubersuperalthernative.  We're pretty clear that we're pro-meds and pro-therapy.  However, if you've looked around, you will see that we encourage people to exercise daily, we talk a LOT about healthy diets and taking supplements, and we try hard to encourage people to develop good sleep habits, get out of the house and volunteer, and other activities that may lessen your need for a large number of meds.

We have a moderator who is currently living a full and active life with no medications.  I think that's great, and if you can achieve that through alternative treatments, go to it!  But we also have hundreds of people here who have gone off their meds and proceeded to alienate all their friends and family, run up huge credit card debts, and some of them lost their homes, their jobs, and most of their possessions.  Because we have seen this happen pretty regularly, we encourage people to look into alternative therapies and treatments, but approach them cautiously and don't go off all the meds without a gradual taper, supervised by their medical team.

We can't be all things to all people.  I have been here 8 years and have watched people come and go, and I have seen many of them that used the support and information here to get the right treatment for their particular issues.  Then they said good-bye to us and went on with their lives.  That's great, and my hope for every member of CB is that they become stable and have fulfilling lives----and I don't care whether they achieve that with meds or without them.

olga

olga

"If goal is to create such place... I am not sure it's been achieved. Most bipolar boards are "take yo meds" boards. Asides of Icarus and maybe bipolar forum on Psychcentral which involved interestingly. So you have "take yo medsX1000000" place. Approaches outside of the mainstream psychiatry are shut down or minimized in name of "pro-meds site". When mentioning other treatments, people seem to feel obliged to mention being on meds, being pro-meds or not wanting to get off meds. You can bitch about doctors or meds, but you will get "meds and doctors saved lives" (go in corner and feel bad for talking shit about them). It seems to be a trigger reflex here.

Is nice you can use adult language here... but eh. Is not definitelly ubersuperalternative place, despite the humours descriptions of particular forums."

I am glad that this place is pro medication. Thanks to CB, I have been taking my meds more often now. Every time I go off my meds, I end up in the psych ward. I was there 3 times last year, twice from not taking meds, and once because my meds failed me. Most of us at CB take meds, but we ALSO see a therapist too. We are not just shoving meds down our throats. Meds don't solve every single problem, but meds sure do help us out. Also, sometimes we get on a bad med and we advise each other to talk to our pdocs about getting off the med safely. So, sometimes there is talk about going off some meds. We do allow others to talk about alternative things like ECT and maybe certain herbal supplements that may be able to help, as long as they are not telling us to quit our meds. However, someone told me once to rub oil on my head to get rid of my schizophrenia part of my disorder. That is so silly to the point that it would not be tolerated here. I blocked the person that told me to do that. If the alternative treatment is reasonable, then it will be tolerated when being discussed. 

I don't like how you made rude generalizations about CB. And yes, as Olga said, CB is not just for people with bipolar disorder. There are people with many different diagnoses here. We do have a great sense of humor here, but when it comes down to certain things, we can be serious. We do not tolerate being advised to go off of medicine, or told to go die, etc. But, we can have a great sense of humor about things like cats and bacon. :)

I couldn't get the quote function to work correctly. My reply is in blue. 

Edited by CynicalReality