CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Brokendishes

Lets talk antihistimines.....

I have hugely bad seasonal allergies and they're beyond bad this year.  I found the eye twitch I'd been having was caused by allergies(go figure?)...so I'm on allergy eye drops.

That's all well and good but I'm still looking for a safe antihistimine I can take with Xanax (not at the same time though). I was told that Benadryl was the right choice to stop the twitching as well as help my allergies, but no way can I take it with Xanax in my system. Maybe childrens Benadryl?... I'm going to go talk to my pharmacist--I love her! She's the best at this stuff and is way more talkable than my primary douch--I mean doctor.lol

So what antihistimines do you guys take that get along with your meds?

And does anyone know why I lose my voice whenever I'm on antihistimines? I feel better--like, my sinuses are clear and I can breathe--plus my eye isn't twitching...but I get hoarse and lose my voice alot--like it gets all airy and raspy. Anybody have this happen to them too??

thankfully, i don't have allergies.  benadryl does help akasthesia for me when i've needed it though.  but if i take it for a cold/flu, i feel depersonalized and strange.  that might be happening too when i've got akasthesia going on, but i'm certainly not thinking about it at the time, so i don't know.  i get the feeling that too much would give me some psychotic symptoms.  but then again dimenhydrinate (dramamine) does the same for me, as do opiates.  my brain just hates meds in general i think heh.

now that i can't take benadryl or it's cousins (MAOI interation), pdoc recommended i use something like ranitidine or famotidine (usually for stomach ills, but works like an antihistamine too).  it's probably not as effective as benadryl, but better than nothing.

Cetirizine (Zyrtec), Ranitidine (Zantac), and if needed Cyproheptadine. I take a double dose (twice a day) of Cetirizine with my doc's OK.

Thanks for the helpful info guys :)  I'll have some things I can ask my pharmacist....All I knew about was Claritin but I can't take that cuz it makes my heart go all wonky. I'd never heard of these other meds, so I'll be able to talk to her and not sound like I've been living under a rock.lol

From my experiences, I can't take Benedryl because it makes me crazy.  I want to climb up the walls and swing from the ceiling lights

I've had good luck with Zyrtec (cetirizine) and Claritin (loratidine) as antihistamines.

The only one I have taken is Benadryl.  Children's benadryl is pretty much the same thing, just comes in much smaller doses.  I've had both and have been fine with both (the children's benadryl I took in the chewable tablets, and the regular benadryl I used Zzzquil, which is pure benadryl, just a higher amount per dose).

I use ranitidine (sp) which is sold as Zantac for stomachs. For me it is a lifesaver. If you use it long-term, though, you need to worry about how you're digesting fat-soluble vitamins like vitamine K.

I use the chewy Benadryl too, but I don't really get bad seasonal allergies, just for 6 weeks a year when the yellow rape seed(?) is in flower. Since moving to the city its not so bad. It makes my depersonalisation disorder worse though, just gotta make sure I compensate and don't push myself too much. 

Benadryl doesn't help my eyes though, they still feel itchy. Most antihistamines make me feel really drowsy, even the non-drowsy ones. I usually take half if I can't have a benadryl, but I still feel zonked out.

The newer ones, Zyrtec (cetirizine) and Claritin (loratidine), don't cross the blood/brain barrier (BBB) nearly as much as the older ones so the newer ones are much less likely to cause drowsiness. Benadryl, being an older one, crosses the BBB very well.

I was reading another thread on here about the benadryl and psychosis. When you compare it to those two and the blood brain barrier, I sit and wonder why I have been taking it when it can give so many a hard time and there are others out there. 

I have heard of Claritin before, but never Syrtec. I think I will make the swap.  

I take Zyrtec for my hives. I don't know if it helps. Zyrtec can cause some drowsiness for some people, it doesn't affect me. Since you're trying to avoid that maybe one of the truly non-sedating meds like Allegra would be better. Talk to your pharm. 

I use ranitidine (sp) which is sold as Zantac for stomachs. For me it is a lifesaver. If you use it long-term, though, you need to worry about how you're digesting fat-soluble vitamins like vitamine K.

Fascinating. Rantidine is an H2 blocker. Seasonal allergies are usually treated with H1 blockers. It appears that rantidine has some H1 activity, or H1 and H2 blockers together are better than either alone (see, for example, http://www.respiratoryreviews.com/jan01/rr_jan01_H1andH2blockade.html ).

I like Zyrtec. It made me drowsy at first, but I found that I adjusted to it over time. I've never noticed that it had an effect on my crazy meds. But I've been taking Zyrtec for years.

Would take benadryl until my allergist appointment a week ago (well, three weeks before that appointment, during which I was in a very miserable state...); I'm on Zyrtec now and I haven't noticed anything "off."

I take Allegra for seasonal allergies (which have been kicking my butt lately). Luckily I don't need it year round because it is expensive. I used to feel foggy after Zyrtec and benedryl works great and is cheap but it makes me too tired.

I'm so miserable with allergies right now. Ugh.

Wow, none of the usual antihistamines have worked for me but I haven't tried Ranitidine or Benadryl (I don't think, didn't they use benadryl for winter coughs/colds?).  I have been told by my doctor (and most here are the same) to just use salt water as in stupid Fess spray.  I said to the doctor I may as well make my own salt water spray as pay in excess of $10 Australian! Perhaps I would be better off just sticking sea water up my nostrils! They don't seem to like to give you any prescriptions where I see doctors - which can suck in some ways as I know some people are getting benefits from different meds for similar issues but they don't live where I do!

Hi, i take antihistamines because i have pet and seasonal allergies.

I bought a cheap generic one i bought from the supermarket. It say's it is Cetirizine hydrochloride and i have had no

drowsy issues with it, and i also take seroquel 50mg for it's sedative affect as i have insomnia.

Edited by neptunesky

I take cetirizine, as well. It makes me a bit drowsy, so I take it at bedtime. I wonder if the OP is losing their voice on antihistamines due to the drying effect so many of them have? 

...Antihistamine collection:

• -cetirizine
  • -generic allegra
  • -benadryl
  • -Clemastine fumarate (when I can still find my darlin' clemastine on the shelves....)
  • Clorpheniramine maleate (on rare occasions.)

...In addition:

-Quercetin: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/quercetin

The article says there is no evidence that it works in humans...by that they mean no research studies showing that it works in humans.  Anecdotally I can tell you I have found it to be awesome...in really high doses.  I personally saw no difference below 1600 milligrams, though. As for psych interactions...WELL, again, no research studies.  Who the hell knows?  I found that I have more energy on it, but that may be because my sinuses are not swollen shut when I am on it.  For allergies, it seems to work as a mast cell stabilizer; see below.

-Accolate:  is a mast cell stabilizer...Accolate and singulair work not by blocking histamine but by preventing the  histamine reaction in the first place.  They are mostly very good to me...BUUUT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montelukast#FDA_investigation

I also use

-Steroid nasal spray du jour

-Pseudoephedrine...but ONLY when I'm not feeling the least bit anxious, OR when I react SO spectacularly and am so miserable that I don't care if I get the jitters.

...It should be noted that I also use 3 asthma inhalers and a paaaartridge in a a pear tree... :smartass:

Edited by Stickler
  • Haha 1

I am highly allergic and I have tried many antihistamines and found the best to be Levocetirizine (Xyzal), and for nasal congestion and for hives. I use one daily and in addition Fluticasone nasal spray (Veramyst), azelastine hydrochloride nasal spray, Symbicort Turbuhaler (budesonide and formoterol) and some OTC.

After allergy season (for me February to July in view of the substances that I am allergic to) I use daily only the Levocetirizine (Xyzal) and azelastine hydrochloride nasal spray when needed.